Third Party Press

First Post: New-to-me AX 41

Well we do not want that to happen!

I was hoping someone else would give a value, it is easier to ridicule an estimate than make a credible one... I would say more than $1k and less than $1500. You might watch GunBroker for a few months, compare it to other ERMA's sold, remember though ax/41 is a little lower production than 1937-1940 ERMA rifles (37 & 39 have fewer recorded rifles, but higher production ranges, 1940 is much more common prod. ranges & recorded..)

I would suggest you save these pictures, type out what you know about the rifle, perhaps save this thread in a word document, and familiarize your wife with the file (maybe a note on the rifle where to look) and GunBroker. If she doesn't want to deal with the process of selling rifles herself (some gun shops will do all the packing & legal stuff for a price), there are people that do sell rifles for you on GunBroker, there are a couple reputable guys actually, who get good results.

Main thing is tell her not to sell it cheaply to or through a local gun shop, pawn shop, yard sale, or hustler on the spur of the moment (many will offer $100 and tell her she's lucky..). Realistically, many women will just want to unload it quickly, legally and without the hassle of shipping a rifle, a reputable gun shop on consignment might be an option but she will almost certainly loose money. These things aren't really practical investments, something to rely upon for retirement, but there are plenty of guys who will take advantage of someone less knowledgeable if given half a chance. You might just slap a tag on it with this link and if something happens we can find a seller for her. I do not buy & sell rifles but would help point her in the right direction or give her advice, - I am sure many here would also help if she posted a query.

...Just trying to get a feel for what I've got so my collection notes will be up to date in case I get run over by a bus and the wife ends up getting rid of all my stuff...don't want it sold at a yard sale for $250. :facepalm: Is $1500 a realistic valuation for this rifle? $1800? $1000?

As I said before, not planning to sell since it's currently my best K98 and I look at it as falling into the condition category that I'm proud to own long-term. I've tried to do my own research with closed auctions and such, but the rarity of the date/code and condition has made that difficult.

nice rifle. just picked one up myself. i would personally rather have a bolt mm than a sanded stock. i just cant stand when a stock isnt untouched. like simson says it will vary from collector to collector

Sounds reasonable to me - thank you.

I'm probably being too hard on the wife - she knows the stuff is valuable, but doesn't know the details. I maintain a pretty extensive card catalog on the collection with everything I know about each piece. Basically a ready-made gunbroker description just in case she needs them. Try to have ballpark values on each card.

Once again, thanks to everyone who contributed to the thread.

I say put $1,850 on the tag.

Lets be positive and think it will be worth at least that ....

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back