Third Party Press

Upgraded my Import Sauer 38H to a Vet bring back Full Rig, Eagle C Police

plymouthmauser

In continuing my efforts at upgrading, I traded with a friend to acquire this superb Eagle C Police Sauer 38H bring back. How do I know it's a bring back? A relative of his brought it back; he was happy it would go to me instead of a stranger. He told me:

"The only background I have on it is my Aunt's stepfather acquired it in Belgium and mailed it home. He was in tanks as far as I understand. Last name of Graves. That's really all the info we have on it, he went to Korea in 1950 and was listed as MIA. Any other info about it has pretty much been lost to time, nobody even realized it still existed until we were cleaning out my Aunt's house. Searched everywhere I could think of looking for capture papers, wasn't able to find anything."

The bluing is almost perfect; the light is reflecting and there are a lot of fingerprints on the slide. The trade cost me my '43 bnz SSZZA4 K98k. As the bnz was a restored RC, I felt I could let it go. As I'm selling or trading the 38H I have, I will be getting an 'honest' bolt MM K98k to replace it. I am at an all time low of three K98k's at the moment.

PM

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    326.7 KB · Views: 109
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 99
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 140
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 115
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 137
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    234.7 KB · Views: 112
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    272.8 KB · Views: 88
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    238.7 KB · Views: 132
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 82
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 95
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
I'm going to miss "my precious" fortunately your sszza4 seems to be filling the role as "my new precious" quite well

Range report. 40 feet, box of Privi FMJ. No problems, save 4 fail-to-fire in the last two mags. Light hits? Duds?

Center mass and low.

PM

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Great little 38H rig with history. I'd try to find out as much as I could about the vet. I like these little 7.65s probably more than any of the others. The failure to fire is likely due to a weak firing pin / striker spring which is giving light primer hits. Thanks for posting it. Pic stickied.

According to the schematics diagram there are two springs involved; the firing pin spring (13) and the hammer spring (23). Wondering if I should replace one or both. They look internal and tough to get at. Maybe I shouldn't bother; the pistol is not going to get that much action anyway.

PM

Attachments

• Sauer_38HPistol_schem.jpg
    Sauer_38HPistol_schem.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 17
are you still getting fail to fires? I never ran into the with that gun, all i ever shot in it was remington .32 acp

Also, I'm going to the range Saturday with rifles and handguns if you are interested.

According to the schematics diagram there are two springs involved; the firing pin spring (13) and the hammer spring (23). Wondering if I should replace one or both. They look internal and tough to get at. Maybe I shouldn't bother; the pistol is not going to get that much action anyway.

PM

are you still getting fail to fires? I never ran into the with that gun, all i ever shot in it was remington .32 acp

Also, I'm going to the range Saturday with rifles and handguns if you are interested.

I haven't had it out since. Will try some new Fiochhi first.

PM

Put a box of Fiochhi through it weekend before last; 49/50 with one double tap needed. Must have been the other ammo.

PM

Military Rifle Journal
Back