Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Luftamp 4 marked depot K98k - DWM recycled receiver

Default Luftamp 4 marked depot K98k - DWM recycled receiver

Hello,
    For your viewing and comment here is a Luftwaffe depot build rifle marked with the Luftamp 4 proof and found in the e-block serial range as is supposedly common with these. It uses a 1918 recycled DWM reciever which I also read may be common at the end of the depot build range. I just bought it today from a friend. I told him what it was when I first saw it and thus offered a fair price. I was fairly certain it was correct and seems to match the profile since doing even more research. I am not sure why the rifles were in such short supply in '40-'41 (I think this is the accepted period - please correct me) that they needed to fulfill the contract using rebuilds but I am sure someone here will know. Please post any commentary, positive or negative, and please understand that while I understand enough to know what it is, I can still learn plenty more so any info is welcome. I also assume these were primarily issues to paratroops and AA gunners, correct me if I am wrong.
    Thanks,
    Diehard
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default pics

few more,
    Diehard

Default wow

coolest rifle ive seen posted in a while !!! A true depot build. Non recycled g98 rec. Never serial numbered. Left over 1918 rec. I had one built up as a g98m.
    This shows the lenght the luftwaffe would go to produce rifles during this period. As a major shortage of k98's was aparant in 41.. This falls into the left over BSW builds and a pant load of luftampt 4 rebarrels as well...

quite an interesting rifle....second LzA built rifle on a WW1 rec ive ever seen. cool cxm bbl too. thanks for sharing

Senior Member BerlinerLuebecker's Avatar

Nice rifle, thanks for posting! And is that a Reichsbahn eagle in your avatar?

Default more pics

A few more to include the bolt.
    Yes, Berliner, at least in spirit it is a railway eagle but I believe it to be a reproduction.

Thanks,
    Diehard

Very cool K98k! Thanks for sharing the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by DiehardWWII View Post
    I am not sure why the rifles were in such short supply in '40-'41 (I think this is the accepted period - please correct me) that they needed to fulfill the contract using rebuilds but I am sure someone here will know. [...] I also assume these were primarily issues to paratroops and AA gunners, correct me if I am wrong.
    Thanks,
    Diehard
    Apparently, rifle production in 1941 plunged. The usual reason given (by BBTOW) is overworked factory workers and lack of investment in factory maintenance and modernization. I'm sure that Mike and Bruce will give us a much better answer in VolII. This dip in production coupled with the large equipment losses in the East in 1941 probably resulted in weapon shortages (or at least the fear of it). So the Army and Luftwaffe had their depot systems start rifle assembly in 1941/42 to supplement the struggling factories. Anybody know if they assembled any MGs as well?

Very cool e block. I'd say most of these ended up in the mobile AA units and later the field divisions. Certainly, some ended up in FJ units as well. Thanks for sharing!

Senior Member Winchester Cowboy's Avatar

Very nice and interesting rifle. Thanks for posting.

That is a cool rifle. I don't know why production lagged in 40-41 (or if it even did, I haven't seen the numbers), but we are going to dig into that question. Another theory may be that production didn't lag at all, just that forces expanded beyond production capacity:

From http://www.axishistory.com/index.php?id=3633

Manpower strength of the Wehrmacht

1939 1.300.000
    1940 5.600.000
    1941 7.200.000
    1942 8.600.000
    1943 9.500.000
    1944 9.100.000

Source: "The Penguin Historical Atlas of the Third Reich" by Richard Overy

Think about it- going from 1.3 million to 7.2 million in 2 years!
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.