Third Party Press

Masuer 1922 Deutsche Waffen- und Munitionsfabriken question

madman256

Hi All
I have a Mauser 98 rifle I bought in the 1970 that some guy bubba-sized to turn it into a hunting rifle. I would like help in restore it back to its original configuration, but I don't know much about Mauser of the time period. As you can see from the pictures it is a Deutsche Waffen- und Munitionsfabriken made Mauser made in 1922. I know that German made Mauser in this time are rare. One question I have was the bolt handle turn down on Mauser at this time or did bubba bend it? Any help with this would be great.

Madman256

Attachments

• IMG_6968.jpg
    IMG_6968.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_6963.jpg
    IMG_6963.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_6964.jpg
    IMG_6964.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_6965.jpg
    IMG_6965.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_6967.jpg
    IMG_6967.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_6966.jpg
    IMG_6966.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_7006.jpg
    IMG_7006.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_6969.jpg
    IMG_6969.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_7003.jpg
    IMG_7003.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 53
???

looks like some sort of german export rifle??? South american i'd say... hate to say this but, Dont waste the time and $$$ to restore..

I agree, not German military rifle, some sort of export or commercial rifle. I do not know enough about this type of rifle to comment further, but I doubt this rifle was made by DWM in 1922. Mauser was making commercial rifles again, a few others, but DWM? Not sure but seems unlikely to me..

looks like some sort of german export rifle??? South american i'd say... hate to say this but, Dont waste the time and $$$ to restore..

What has got me confused is:

What got me confused is that the guy I bought it from told me he cut the stock down from a military type stock. The front of the stock has a hole for the cleaning rod that was plugged. I don't know about Mausers of the this time period but it is a DWM made gun. Thank for the input, I more than likely just sell the gun and get a Kar98k.

Madman256

What got me confused is that the guy I bought it from told me he cut the stock down from a military type stock. The front of the stock has a hole for the cleaning rod that was plugged. I don't know about Mausers of the this time period but it is a DWM made gun. Thank for the input, I more than likely just sell the gun and get a Kar98k.

Madman256

This gun looks like a kind of Spanisch 1893 rifle,a South American? Maybe.... but no crown chrest of a country stamped on the receiver ,the rearsight is indeed from a military rifle from that time ,so it can be a cut dawn stock.The only thing you must find is a stock from that period. I don't think the rifle is from an 98 selfcocking action.

It's an 1893 pattern action so probably Spanish or South American. The Germans never issued that pattern. I don't think the bolt was bent that way from DWM. Receiver appears to have had a crest that was scrubbed. Hope this helps.

Military Rifle Journal
Back