Third Party Press

Errors and Corrections to Volume I

mrfarb

No War Eagles For You!
Staff member
We have created a few new sections on the forum dedicated to each book. Use this thread to report any errors or corrections for Volume 1. The book should be hitting soon, so feel free to discuss any issues here.

Typo on page 540.

Sling maker should read Carl Kuntze, Penig-SA

Page 162 - image description error, bottom right photo

Bottom right image caption should refer to the "original front band has been modified".

Page 545 RG34 Identification

The 5th RG34 from the top is identified as 'Gustav Appel RG34 produced in 1938' appears to be 1935 dated.

Page 57, bottom left photo, states wrong hand

Page 57, picture of Wehrmacht Army guard armed with a Kar98a on left side of page states "The rifle is also fitted with what appears to be a strap hold down, visable just above right hand." It's above his left hand, the right hand isn't even visable.

Cutaways

V.1 p.421: " "From observed examples, it seems the only factory manufactured cutaway 98k rifles with a serialized production came from Erma Werke."
Perhaps true in the period covered by vol. 1 (through 1938) but among my cutaways are Mauser Oberndorf cutaway 1939 SN 30 and BLM (!) cutaway 1941 SN 10(?); components on the latter WaA214, bolt SN 10, rear sight components SN 6.

Page 541 - RG34 Reinigungsgerät (Cleaning Kit for K98k)

Paragraph 3 - 4.

Should read: Unconfirmed Ky, KH designations from 1935 to 1941

Photograph Caption - lower right, line 2

Should read: two prewar RG34 covers

Page 451

"BLM model 98 roll marks were applied from the beginning at BLM." I observed a 3 digit serial recently with no model 98 on the side, apparently there maybe one other known without it too, another 3 digit.

Bruce discovered a pretty big error in BSW production chart in Vol.1 today. Our production chart says a high serial is 9983 d. Actual high number is 2706 b. The error is one of reporting - a bsw38 a block with an odd tail on the "a" looks like a d sometimes, so it was probably a bad image or just human error.

This puts bsw 1938 production at about the same as 1937, 23,000 instead of 49,000.

It's likely that this error was noticed in other parts of the chapter as the trends table ends at the a block, which is a clue that the two don't jive, but missed in the final editing process. Humans make mistakes! It makes better sense anyway that the production was consistent there.

Chapter 7 - ERMA

Page 435
Data Sheet S/27 1937, Sn. 4698 t

The Sn. "4698 t" is far over production totals in 1937, my observations ends in "k" block. In the chart is also written "a" block, the correct serial number is certainly "4698 a".

Page 436
Data Sheet S/27 1938, Sn. 5028 i

The Sn. "5028 i" is in the title and in the chart called S/27 1938. It sticks out a lot, in the "i" block it's verisimilar a 27 1938.

Page 419
ERMA Production Totals from Serial Number Studies, 1935 to 1938

The 27 1938 has "4844 l" as highest reported serial number. On page 416 is listed a 27 1938 with serial number "6667 l".

Page 419
ERMA Production Totals from Serial Number Studies, 1935 to 1938

The S/27 1936 has "4689 c" as highest reported serial number. In ERMA Serial Studies and Technical Data it's listed as S/27 1936 "4689 e".

Chapter 8 - Berlin-Lübecker Maschinenfabrik

Page 446
BLM Production Totals from Serial Number Studies, 1936 to 1938

"237 1938 1620i" is highest reported serial number, not "237 1938 1700i"

Page 447
The Berlin-Lübecker K98k in Detail

"The Weimar style firing proofs (Beschußstempel) were used in 1936 through mid- 1937 when the proof stamp style was changed to the Nazi eagle over swastika."
In my own serial number studies I don't have a "S/237 1937" reference sample with Weimar style firing proofs and also in "BLM K98k serials and technical data" from the K98 forum is no example.
It rather looks like, the Weimar style firing proofs was used until the end of S/237 1936 production and with start of S/237 1937 production was Nazi style over swastika in use.

Page 448
Barrel Codes for Berlin-Lübecker, 1936-1938

On page 448 237 1938 "4461 c" is listed and on page 449 listed as S/237 1938 "4461 c".
On page 448 it's written the barrel additional mark is e/214 (3) and on page 449 listed with receiver inspection stamp e/214 (3).

Page 448

On page 448 237 1938 "6521 f" is listed and on page 449 listed as S/237 1938 "6521 f".

Page 448

On page 448 237 1938 "2732 d" is listed with WaA26 (3) as additional marks.
On page 469 237 1938 "2732 d" is listed with WaA26 (3) and "K" as additional marks.

Page 449
Berlin-Lübecker K98k Serial Number Data

On page 449 237 1938 "2732 d" is listed with receiver inspection stamp e/26 (1), e/214 (2)
On page 469 237 1938 "2732 d" is listed with receiver inspection stamp e/26 (3)
The photos from this K98k are on page 462, unfortunately the receiver inspection stamps are not full visible. But it looks rather like e/26 (3) Nazi style over swastika, in addition it suits better in the "d" letter block.
In beginning of "f" letter block it's common the e/214 get reported. In "g" letter block I have first reference samples of e/214 inspection stamps, proved with photos.
In this list two K98k stick out: "4461 c" where the mistake with 237 and S/237 is and 237 1938 "632 d". Maybe there are mistakes and the inspection team 214 started in "f" letter block at BLM.

(Bruce got already the BLM list from me)

Page 21, dealing with the M88 commission rifle . . . .

While I’m the last person to throw stones inside a glass house, please permit me to correct a slight mis-statement made here . . .
“ . . . . The Model 88 required a cartridge clip that was inserted into the magazine well, but which stayed in position until the last round was fired, at which time the clip was released through an opening in the bottom of the magazine housing. . . . “

Actually, the clip is released when the bolt moves forward, chambering the fifth-and-last round in the magazine, BEFORE the round is fired.

Yeah . . I know, picky, picky, picky!

Last edited:
Man, how did that get past the peer review? Jeez.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you would have paid me the $300/hr plus food and alcohol per diem I offered to edit that wouldn't have happened.

Page 244 . . . Text dealing with pictured floor plates . . . .

Near bottom of page, text below pictures of two “S”-marked floor plates, refers to them as “followers”.
Since I received this tome last week, and reading EVERY word printed, (I’m only up to page 244 so far) I must say I am truly impressed at the HERCULEAN effort put forth by the authors, editors, and world-wide contributors of this “encyclopedia”!
I only offer my “corrections” in case there is a future printing.
GREAT JOB EVERYBODY!

Since I purchased all four volumes of this colossal work as they became available, am positively delighted that I did so, and herewith express enormous admiration for the authors' achievement, I think I've earned leave to make the following observation.

Advanced scholarship, stunning photography and magnificent printing ought not to be blighted by elementary mistakes in English punctuation and usage. They clash; it puts one's teeth on edge. Two consecutive sentences on the back cover of the dust jacket of Volume I are an unfortunate example: "The K98k rifle was Germanys principle battle rifle from 1935 until 1945. In those 10 years in K98k rifle left it's mark on the history of the world."

Any competent editor --even if he or she knew nothing about guns-- would have caught all three errors.

M

Since I purchased all four volumes of this colossal work as they became available, am positively delighted that I did so, and herewith express enormous admiration for the authors' achievement, I think I've earned leave to make the following observation.

Advanced scholarship, stunning photography and magnificent printing ought not to be blighted by elementary mistakes in English punctuation and usage. They clash; it puts one's teeth on edge. Two consecutive sentences on the back cover of the dust jacket of Volume I are an unfortunate example: "The K98k rifle was Germanys principle battle rifle from 1935 until 1945. In those 10 years in K98k rifle left it's mark on the history of the world."

Any competent editor --even if he or she knew nothing about guns-- would have caught all three errors.

M

We thank you for the comments. The irony is there were 4 errors, you missed one. You should know that we really do appreciate the feedback, and if you look for them there are errors that we missed. You see, Bruce and I did 90% of the initial proofreading ourselves because we couldn't afford to hire a professional firm do it (some later chapters did get professional proof readers once we got rich off the project - hint, thats (sic) a joke). We enlisted the help of collectors from the forum as well. I personally read each book so many times I nearly lost consciousness (OK, that is a bit of a stretch) and I am by no means a professional. The dust jackets were done at the last hour of the last day many times, and all of them have errors we overlooked, mostly due to cut and past editing. Have you ever proof read a big project before? It's amazing what you miss, some of the most obvious errors are the ones your eyes overlook.

Let me fix it for you now as it hasn't ever been reported, just print this out and paste it over the offending areas if that helps, I'd hate to be responsible for your dental work (I'm kidding about that, you have to know my humor to get it).

"The K98k rifle was Germany's principal battle rifle from 1935 until 1945. In those 10 years the K98k rifle left its mark on the history of the world."

Wait a second - Bruce was the final editor, so I lay this travesty at his feet. :laugh:

... The irony is there were 4 errors, you missed one. ...

Actually there were only three. My arthritic fingers introduced the fourth when I transcribed the quote and failed to adequately proof-read my typing.

If you and Bruce do any further books you should consider that a good editor is more than just a proof-reader; he or she can tighten and condense verbose text to make it easier to digest and more inviting to read. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that the text in all four volumes could have been shortened by 25% without losing anything.

Nonetheless I reiterate that these books are a truly monumental achievement. You have set a standard for studies of this kind unlikely to be surpassed.

M

Military Rifle Journal
Back