Third Party Press

Volume II schedule

mrfarb

No War Eagles For You!
Staff member
Ok, lots of talk about Volume II now that Volume I is out. I can tell you that it won't be before the spring of 2016. It's going to take some serious recovery after this book to catch our breath, plus patch up the marriages enough to do the next book. :moon:

We love using as many rifles from as many different collections as possible. One problem though, many times the photos we receive are just not good enough for print. We are at the level that we require very high quality images, and in some cases we have multiple rifles with similar quality images to choose from, and we have to choose the one that fits the typical example the best.

With this next book we will probably do some more travelling around the country for photos. Plus, we have photographers who have learned exactly what we are looking for in different parts of the country, and will ask that person to meet someone for pics of their rifle (or accessory). Sometimes our busy schedules don't allow us to make it to the far ends of the country, and we end up using a collection/collector that is closer and more convenient. We had several really great collectors offer us access but our regular work schedules just didn't allow us to make it - we do have 9-5 jobs after all, and travel is sometimes a burden.

One good thing, this next book will be easier to do in that regard, as there are many more 39-44 rifles to choose from, and better condition rifles. Some codes will be difficult, such as ax/ar dual codes, etc. We've actually secretly been working on Vol.II and it's just about done. Ok, that last pat was not true.:laugh:

We love using as many rifles from as many different collections as possible. One problem though, many times the photos we receive are just not good enough for print. We are at the level that we require very high quality images, and in some cases we have multiple rifles with similar quality images to choose from, and we have to choose the one that fits the typical example the best.

With this next book we will probably do some more travelling around the country for photos. Plus, we have photographers who have learned exactly what we are looking for in different parts of the country, and will ask that person to meet someone for pics of their rifle (or accessory). Sometimes our busy schedules don't allow us to make it to the far ends of the country, and we end up using a collection/collector that is closer and more convenient. We had several really great collectors offer us access but our regular work schedules just didn't allow us to make it - we do have 9-5 jobs after all, and travel is sometimes a burden.

One good thing, this next book will be easier to do in that regard, as there are many more 39-44 rifles to choose from, and better condition rifles. Some codes will be difficult, such as ax/ar dual codes, etc. We've actually secretly been working on Vol.II and it's just about done. Ok, that last pat was not true.:laugh:

This. I know I had a few that were candidates for I but I just couldn't get the pic format down to look better than a 1st grader was taking the pics.:googlie

Just got both I and III for Christmas and I can't wait for II! You guys are like collector-grade dope dealers!

Pat

Last edited:
Volume ii

WHAT? WHERE IS MY COPY OF....oh he was joking? THATS SICK! I have a byf 44 that came from a motel buy....and it just did NOT leave the factory! And a beauty of a dot44,and a low turret byf43....Mike says "NOT YET YOU GUYS!" Seriously, great book guys. The history,the photos. Just excellent.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Anything we can do to help, there are VERY few of us on this forum, that would not be willing to help in any way we can....whats that Honey? NNNNOOOO? Y NOT? Ok. There are fewer of us than I thought. Again, congrats.

2016 is too soon, I won't be through with I and III yet.

Volume II

I just purchased Volumes I and III from Mike Steves and they arrived Friday.
It will take some time to go through them due to the amount of information involved.
I expect it will take a major amount of time to put the wartime K98's in a proper credible volume.
I just hope I am alive long enough to add it to my collection.
There are books out there that are quickly put together just to sell to the general public who know very little about the subject. They are useless to serious collectors because some of the information is incorrect. I find once mistakes are found it reduces the trust I have in the book.

I started with the "Mauser" book by Olson, then the Collector Grade series Volume I & II, and The Mauser Military Rifles by Ball. For me each are good in their own way, providing different photographs and bits of information for an overall study of Mauser rifles.

Just checking out this site and learned about two more books I would like to purchase. I am planning to work on purchasing two volumes by Doctor Storz, they are "Rifle and Carbine 98, 1898-1918", and "German Military Rifles 88 and 91 Firearms".
I understand the book "Rifles and Carbines 98, 1898-1918" is a tough read due to the translation.

Last edited:
We have a lot of work left to do on this next volume, and have only scratched the surface on what we need from contributors. That last book nearly killed us and almost caused multiple divorces. :facepalm:

We have a lot of work left to do on this next volume, and have only scratched the surface on what we need from contributors. That last book nearly killed us and almost caused multiple divorces. :facepalm:

Mister, what kind of priorities do you have?????

Whats more important...98k's or wimmens????

Recovering from heart attack number three, hope to read VII before I depart.

Kinda like that movie, The Five Year Engagement - the longer you wait to get married - the less chance your grandparents will make the wedding. LOL

We be old farts.

Just kidding, I greatly appreciate the work you have done on VI and VIII.

Thanks - feeling much better than before if anyone wanted to know.

Military Rifle Journal
Back