Third Party Press

Just received volume 1

TAXICAT

What a beautiful book. Congratulations to steve and mike for making this happen.

All of the photos are beautiful. I will be spending a lot of time with this book.

I got my book from shooting gallery books 518 877 0719

Magnificent !

Well if you can't have it all, you can now have pictures
and text of it all. Truly a joyful thing, as the rifles
themselves.

I received my Volume 1 from 3PP a couple of days ago. What an
accomplishment this book is. In many ways. Not only
is this book a source of pleasure and knowledge for all collectors of mauser
(and K98) rifles, but it is also a major contribution to this hobby.
It is so refreshing to see a group "go for the gold" and
strive for excellence and not a price point. For those with
a historian bent to their mauser collecting hobby, this book
is a long drink of water. Much new material here
above previous resources.

I would say that all who "buy" this book that also participate
in this hobby should consider the book as free at
the issue price. There is no question that this series of
books on the K98 will raise all boats that are floating
in this collector pool.

Many thanks and congratulations to those that worked on these books !!

dxr

Comments

Thanks dxr, your comments are well appreciated.

When Mike and I were getting close, we thought that this volume would be a bit overwhelming and maybe too technical.
We strived for a balance between presentation and content and I believe we got pretty close to our target.

Again, thanks to all who are enjoying our latest creation.

BK

You guys definitely hit the sweet spot Bruce. The lush content
of this book will have me coming back to this book many
times before I can consider myself familiar with it. Again,
this book is a bargain !

Seeing all these new period photos/documents
etc. is awesome !!!

Chris

Thanks dxr, your comments are well appreciated.

When Mike and I were getting close, we thought that this volume would be a bit overwhelming and maybe too technical.
We strived for a balance between presentation and content and I believe we got pretty close to our target.

Again, thanks to all who are enjoying our latest creation.

BK

BCN's view

For those of you who are not members of Bayonet Collector's Network, here is a review of Bruce & Mike's book as sent out to all the BCN members. Well done, you two!!!

From Fred M.
BOOK REVIEW: Karabiner 98k A Collector's Guide to the Development and Production of the German K98k Service Rifle up to 1938 Vol. 1. By (BCNer) Bruce Karem & Michael Steves Third party Press 2012
*******************************************************************************************
Yesterday I received a copy of Volume 1 of Bruce Karem's planned trilogy on the German Kar98k. His second book joins the first, dealing with the last months of 98k production, Kriegsmodell. As a long-time collector of German military rifles and accessories 1871-1945, I was overwhelmed by the depth of detail and profusion of high-quality, color photographs featured in Kriegsmodell. In looking through his newest work, I am even more spellbound!

Comprising 588 pages, to say the book is "profusely illustrated" would be an understatement. Volume 1 begins with an detailed overview of German military rifle production starting with the Gewehr88 and developments in Mauser rifle production leading to the adoption of the Gewehr98 & Kar98. Succeeding chapters discuss the experiences of World War One, the post-war Weimar years, and commercial manufacture prior to introduction of the Kar98k. Following chapters chronicle contract production for the German military and is broken down by manufacturer and year up to 1938. But, there is still more. Volume 1, as in Kriegsmodell, covers the many accessories produced for, and in support of, the various models. Of particular note was the attention given to bayonets made for the Gewehrs & Karbiners, and the S84/98 in particular. Lastly is an appendix section with numerous documents and addenda.

I spent a couple hours going through
Volume 1, which allowed me time for only a superficial study of the material presented. Many more hours will be needed in order to even begin to reap the benefits of Bruce's & Michael's labors. I have no doubt that when completed, the trilogy will be considered the definitive study of the Kar98k. For any collector whom shares an interest in German military rifles, and the Kar98k in particular, this book is not just a must, it is a requirement. Well done, Bruce!
******************************************************************************************

Yeah, my first response to Volume I was to immediately order the Kriegsmodell Volume III.

I am not a "late war" focused collector per se, so I passed on that book. But after getting
Volume I in my hands I saw that owning Volume III was a must have because of the historical
focus that these authors take.

Volume II will be ordered immediately when available !! :thumbsup:

For those of you who are not members of Bayonet Collector's Network, here is a review of Bruce & Mike's book as sent out to all the BCN members. Well done, you two!!!

From Fred M.
BOOK REVIEW: Karabiner 98k A Collector's Guide to the Development and Production of the German K98k Service Rifle up to 1938 Vol. 1. By (BCNer) Bruce Karem & Michael Steves Third party Press 2012
*******************************************************************************************
Yesterday I received a copy of Volume 1 of Bruce Karem's planned trilogy on the German Kar98k. His second book joins the first, dealing with the last months of 98k production, Kriegsmodell. As a long-time collector of German military rifles and accessories 1871-1945, I was overwhelmed by the depth of detail and profusion of high-quality, color photographs featured in Kriegsmodell. In looking through his newest work, I am even more spellbound!

Comprising 588 pages, to say the book is "profusely illustrated" would be an understatement. Volume 1 begins with an detailed overview of German military rifle production starting with the Gewehr88 and developments in Mauser rifle production leading to the adoption of the Gewehr98 & Kar98. Succeeding chapters discuss the experiences of World War One, the post-war Weimar years, and commercial manufacture prior to introduction of the Kar98k. Following chapters chronicle contract production for the German military and is broken down by manufacturer and year up to 1938. But, there is still more. Volume 1, as in Kriegsmodell, covers the many accessories produced for, and in support of, the various models. Of particular note was the attention given to bayonets made for the Gewehrs & Karbiners, and the S84/98 in particular. Lastly is an appendix section with numerous documents and addenda.

I spent a couple hours going through
Volume 1, which allowed me time for only a superficial study of the material presented. Many more hours will be needed in order to even begin to reap the benefits of Bruce's & Michael's labors. I have no doubt that when completed, the trilogy will be considered the definitive study of the Kar98k. For any collector whom shares an interest in German military rifles, and the Kar98k in particular, this book is not just a must, it is a requirement. Well done, Bruce!
******************************************************************************************

Mine came last night! Taking my time and not peeking ahead and cheating. BONUS! my Gew98M 1916/1920 V. Chr. Schilling receiver is pictured with two others in the section "Application of the '1920' Property Stamp" on page 45. I made the book!:faint:

PM

Military Rifle Journal
Back