Third Party Press

Apparently a Mauser 40k Has been found in France...

I don't like the look of the stock or the fit of the butt plate and handguard.

But what do I know?? :baby:

G40K - input from Jon Speed.

As received from Jon:

I saw the French G40k and must tell you that this example and another one that was offered for sale in past 2 years are both made up . I know the guy who did the work who is a French technician who works in Oberndorf for H&K and gets involved with such projects. I may have mentioned I have an Original G40K bolt from the Sn 17 carbine which stayed in Oberndorf. This bolt is mint with spectacular markings Eagle/655 on evary part inluding under bolt handle as well as large Eagle/N on top of bolt handle over 17. The French most likely obtained some orginal G40K examples as well as in the white parts some of which were finished and later used to make up non original G40K examples sold to collectors as the real thing !

G40K V84 mauser 1.jpg
G40K V84 mauser 1.jpgG40K V84 mauser 1.jpg
SO BASICLY.. BILL MUST CHANGE HIS POST TO " ANOTHER G40K WAS MADE IN FRANCE" :biggrin1:

Hi guys, I'm french and sry but all that you said are utopia and romance, never time in France G40K was sold!!!, and omg, never technician build some G40 K. The only 2 G40K authentified are the number 2 (civilian caliber 8x60S) and the number V84 (8x57 is)
I had post the pictures in "picture reference", please Watch them and the magasine "la gazette des armes" who was published in France, belgium, Luxembourg, Swiss,........

View attachment 109286
View attachment 109286View attachment 109286

Hi guys, I'm french and sry but all that you said are utopia and romance, never time in France G40K was sold!!!, and omg, never technician build some G40 K. The only 2 G40K authentified are the number 2 (civilian caliber 8x60S) and the number V84 (8x57 is)
I had post the pictures in "picture reference", please Watch them and the magasine "la gazette des armes" who was published in France, belgium, Luxembourg, Swiss,........

G40K V84 mauser 4.jpgski 127.jpg
more pictures of 2 G40K in France
best

Language barrier aside, this rifle does not compare well with V81, which is the only rifle collectors can compare it too (#18 at MO is quite different); as for its publication in a journal, unless French, Belgian and Swiss journals are different than American, - the rifles inclusion in such magazines means nothing. Most magazines today are to authenticity (accuracy) as are news papers and gossip magazines, all designed to attract the superficial and ignorant, the easily distracted... they are only good for lining bird cages and potty training puppies.

View attachment 109286
View attachment 109286View attachment 109286

Language barrier aside, this rifle does not compare well with V81, which is the only rifle collectors can compare it too (#18 at MO is quite different); as for its publication in a journal, unless French, Belgian and Swiss journals are different than American, - the rifles inclusion in such magazines means nothing. Most magazines today are to authenticity (accuracy) as are news papers and gossip magazines, all designed to attract the superficial and ignorant, the easily distracted... they are only good for lining bird cages and potty training puppies.

Hello, I believe that you have a problem, G40k is a prototype rifle and the purpose is that every prototype is different from others, why? Simply to finalize the final rifle! You compares these rifles likeG40K V84 mauser 14.jpg 98K which were made in 16 millions ex! Difference are on barrels, sights,, the buttstocks... V81 in MA is different from 18 in MO! And those who are in France are also; I'm 45 years old, I am a collector, and as all the Européans collectors, NEVER hear that G40K was sold in Europe! (and France...)
Please look the pictures, USA are not the only country to have original G40K.G40K V84 mauser.jpgG40K V84 mauser 3.jpg
Greetings from France

fire proofs alone don't look to match original M/O proofs and the RW stamp look un-like any original seen as well.

For educated comparison, a known original captured by US Army in 1945.

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?419-G-40k&highlight=G40k

One other issue sticks out to me. The siderail marking on the French presented one reads "G 40 K' with the "K" in capital letter.

The original known rifle is "G 40 k", with the "k" lower case. In German the word is "kurz", not "Kurz" so if the French rifle is original it doesn't conform to German language rules.

You asked me my opinion on this rifle sometime back and I didn't like it anymore then than now, but admittedly I am not a collector of prototype Mauser rifles.

That SN font on barrel/receiver doesn't look like anything ever used at MO either.

I know squat about these. I do know a little from collecting for 40 years.

When I looked at 84, I saw what looked like a receiver rail that had been scrubbed and a marking added, the model marking. The letters are not even straight. That was enough for me. In 1911 collecting the fakery has developed beyond that level. Better fakes are produced.

Comparing the two, 81 and 84, 84 has a larger V than 81. 84 has and additional marking WR, between the Firing proof and the serial number. No. 81 has the number very close to the firing proof. The K vs k is also obvious as mentioned. Too many red flags, and usually one should be enough. JMO.

That SN font on barrel/receiver doesn't look like anything ever used at MO either.

Look at the sizing between the two as well. "v81" compared "V84." The size difference is notable. And how did two of these show up at the same time and same place? Odd.

French gun has the endcap/bayonet lug grooved for a normal H front band. Do we know if the original gun does?

If someone is faking these, they put a LOT of effort out.

Look at the sizing between the two as well. "v81" compared "V84." The size difference is notable. And how did two of these show up at the same time and same place? Odd.

French gun has the endcap/bayonet lug grooved for a normal H front band. Do we know if the original gun does?

If someone is faking these, they put a LOT of effort out.

I can ask you a question? If this 2 rifles are fakes, why not to have made even markings as on V81?
If it is two rifles are together photographed it is by what 2 owners met.
The G40K number 2 have a big one "K", but it has made before V81, which have a young "k". It is the French army who arrived the first ones at Oberndorf in 45 and who captured the prototypes mauser in the factory.

I can ask you a question? If this 2 rifles are fakes, why not to have made even markings as on V81?
If it is two rifles are together photographed it is by what 2 owners met.
The G40K number 2 have a big one "K", but it has made before V81, which have a young "k". It is the French army who arrived the first ones at Oberndorf in 45 and who captured the prototypes mauser in the factory.

You continue to argue as if it is rifles had been all built as V81, you been on the wrong track. These rifles were identified for a long time in Europe, we are lucky enough(have the opportunity) to have two of it and to have been able to compare their difference.

I think you should show us why your rifle is NOT fake. We can't prove it's real, you have to. All of the concerns pointed out are valid concerns, that and the fact that Jon Speed has said that someone in France is faking them.

I have many problems, one is intolerance for people who are both ignorant and arrogant... no one is suggesting France doesn't have a G40k, after all they looted Mauser Oberndorf (private property), they probably still have many rifles they looted from the company.

I was not speaking of different characteristics as in different rear sights or different parts, but how they are marked and serialed (they all may have slight differences, but they all should follow the same marking pattern, or closely follow a similar pattern). Further how the metal finish on yours looks, - it looks tampered with, scrubbed or altered, not as new, or as made, as the others do.

At anyrate, you are free to feel your rifles are genuine, - just as I am free to feel they are reproductions.

Hello, I believe that you have a problem, G40k is a prototype rifle and the purpose is that every prototype is different from others, why? Simply to finalize the final rifle! You compares these rifles likeView attachment 109299 98K which were made in 16 millions ex! Difference are on barrels, sights,, the buttstocks... V81 in MA is different from 18 in MO! And those who are in France are also; I'm 45 years old, I am a collector, and as all the Européans collectors, NEVER hear that G40K was sold in Europe! (and France...)
Please look the pictures, USA are not the only country to have original G40K.View attachment 109297View attachment 109298
Greetings from France

Military Rifle Journal
Back