Third Party Press

My K98 bolt collection

GunKraut

Starting out with an all matching (except for extractor) J.P. Sauer bolt. Serial number is 5279 with "k" suffix on bolt handle. Faint eagle proof with swastika on back side of handle root. Matching full 4 digit serials on firing pin, bolt, bolt shroud, safety and cocking piece. Extractor is serialed "06". All parts except for extractor and safety with E/37 inspector mark. Found this one on Craigslist.

Attachments

• jps1.JPG
    jps1.JPG
    213.5 KB · Views: 102
  • jps2.JPG
    jps2.JPG
    247 KB · Views: 85
  • jps3.JPG
    jps3.JPG
    280.9 KB · Views: 79
  • jps4.JPG
    jps4.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 98
  • jps5.JPG
    jps5.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 89
  • jps6.JPG
    jps6.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 82
All matching BRNO late war bolt. Serial number is 8517 without suffix. Eagle proof with swastika on back side of bolt knob. Matching full 4 digit serials on bolt and bolt shroud, last two digits on firing pin and cocking piece. Extractor and safety not serialed and not proofed. E/63 inspection mark on bolt, E/221 and "e" (Herman Köhler AG, Altenburg, Thüringen) on bolt shroud, no proofs on firing pin and cocking piece. Although the bolt has the late war round gas holes, its handle won't clear the corn cob stock of my 1945 dot 44. Maybe not a BRNO part? Found this one on eBay.

Attachments

• brno1.JPG
    brno1.JPG
    240.9 KB · Views: 66
  • brno2.JPG
    brno2.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 88
  • brno3.JPG
    brno3.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 81
  • brno4.JPG
    brno4.JPG
    222.8 KB · Views: 63
  • brno5.JPG
    brno5.JPG
    271.3 KB · Views: 62
  • brno6.JPG
    brno6.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 68
Mix master late war bolt. Serial number is 9017 with "b" suffix on handle. Prominent eagle with swastika on back side of handle root. Proofed E/140, made by FN Herstal Belgium under Nazi occupation. Also has an X at the handle root. Extractor is serialed 67 but not proofed. The cocking piece is unnumbered and unproofed with CZ stamp underneath. Safety is serialed 9969 without proofs. Bolt shroud is serialed 1910 with no proofs whatsoever. Firing pin is marked "e" and serialed 4770. All parts appear to be unused and in near mint condition. I bought this mix master just for the late war FN bolt at the gun show.

Attachments

• mix1.JPG
    mix1.JPG
    183 KB · Views: 75
  • mix2.JPG
    mix2.JPG
    258.4 KB · Views: 83
  • mix3.JPG
    mix3.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 76
  • mix4.JPG
    mix4.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 85
  • mix5.JPG
    mix5.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 87
  • mix6.JPG
    mix6.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 68
When did the rifle manufacturers start going to round gas holes on the bolt bodies? It must have been not much later than late spring/early summer 1944 since it is generally believed that most, if not all production ended at FN in June or July. Although the plant was finally evacuated by the Germans in early September, they were in the process of dismantling parts of the plant and shipping off stocks of parts, weapons, tooling and other items prior to this.

I have a fascination with the FN plant under German sequestration during WW2. My ar43 has an FN bolt and I have about half a dozen FN 1922's from the Occupation manufacture. (if anyone has one to sell, let me know. Must be German production.)

...Although the bolt has the late war round gas holes, its handle won't clear the corn cob stock of my 1945 dot 44. Maybe not a BRNO part?...

It is a Bruenn II bolt (Bystrica, dou). With the firing proof on the bolt knob it would be correct in a dou 45.

Mixmaster Herstal Bolt

What is the specific marking that makes it a Herstal? I have a similar bolt that came with an otherwise all matching 655/1940 Oberndorf. I knew the bolt didn't belong with the rifle but wasn't sure of its manufacture. Mine is serialed 9257 on the shroud and cocking piece; the safety is marked 69 and has an unusual proof on the front face - a script 'W' or something like that. There is an X on the bottom flat of the bolt root, an 'M1' on the face of the rear/3rd lug (like yours) but mine has no markings whatsoever on the extractor or anything other than the serial on the shroud and an 'L' and the serial on the cocking piece. The firing pin is stamped with a circled 'Z' and serial 2811 pencilled on. Are these all Herstal markings?

Last edited:
f/n bolt

the e/140 proof.. also the MI on the rear lug. and the X stamped there or on top where the bolt flat dips down. All those are signs the bolt body was F/n produced. some lack one or two of these traits. this bolt has all of them..

herstal Bolt

Thanks. I take it the e140 proof is on the bolt handle. Mine was sporterized and obliterated by weld although the X still shows. Any idea what the script 'W' might be on my safety? And is a circled 'Z' a CZ proof? I suppose it could be a circled 'N'.

Thanks. I take it the e140 proof is on the bolt handle. Mine was sporterized and obliterated by weld although the X still shows. Any idea what the script 'W' might be on my safety? And is a circled 'Z' a CZ proof? I suppose it could be a circled 'N'.
Without a picture, I assume the script 'W' to be an entangled "MW" , thought to be the Mauser Werke proprietary firing proof (don't think it was an inspection proof). The Circle Z (see 3rd picture of my Herstal mix master, bottom of cocking piece) is CZ.

http://www.g6csy.net/c96/proof-18.jpg

Herstal Bolt

Yes, I saw that stamp on the cocking piece dog in your photo; mine has an 'L' there and the serial number on the rear matches the shroud, which has nothing but a serial number on it - 9257. The safety was probably not original to this assembly. Thanks for the 'MW' photo although mine does not look like that. Its more of a caligraphy/medieval type of script style. I think its a capital W and it seems sort of familiar but I can't place it. I will try to take a photo but I'm not optimistic; it's very small. Thanks for your interest.

Would the L on the underside of the cocking piece indicate Herstal? If so, I would say that the bolt body, shroud and cocking piece were definitely Herstal.

Last edited:
Decided to visit the Crossroads of the West gun show in Costa Mesa, and boy, what a waste of time on top of being a total rip off! From getting my ticket way before opening time to finally making it through the gate it took 1-3/4 hours. Didn't see a lot of the typical AR-15 crowd in line, though, (talking about the guys who are as wide as they are tall a.k.a. "sponge bobs" or "waddlers", conversing in English only as secondary option, saggy pants, tattooed up to their necks, the back of their shaved heads looking like hot dogs in a shrink wrap). The line consisted mostly of average Joe's in panic mode. Vendors catered to the insanity by jacking up their prices like gas stations before Thanksgiving. In the name of capitalism and free enterprise, let's not let a good tragedy go to waste must have been the collective thought of ammo dealers and they "corrected" their prices accordingly. They already added the Obama-reelection penalty last year, now the added the Newtown surcharge to their ammo and powder prices, plus sales tax. Although, being a small business owner myself, I'm willing to pay a little extra to keep local mom 'n pop business alive, but not when the gouging becomes this obvious. Since the reelection all my ammo has been bought over the internet at prices much better than at the gun show. But the blame is not only with the vendors (some clown tried to sell a G43 ac44 with a buttstock cobbled together from about 10 pieces, sanded into oblivion with painted metal parts for a measly $3,500), even the organizer jacked up the entrance fees in anticipation of a twice as large as usual crowd.

Of course, everything was picked clean when I finally made it through the gate, only the overpriced junk (like the G43) was still there. Luckily, a vendor who was still arranging his table when I walked by had just put up a K98 bolt. I stopped, briefly inspected it and we agreed on a fair price. It's an all matching J.P. Sauer, serial number is 5549 with "o" suffix on bolt handle; as far as my knowledge goes this is a rather late Sauer bolt. Eagle proof with swastika on back side of handle root. Matching full 4 digit serials on firing pin, bolt, bolt shroud, safety and cocking piece. Extractor is serialed "49". All parts with E/37 inspector mark. The extractor might have been reblued. Still didn't justify $16 entrance fee end endless waiting in line.

Attachments

• jps7.JPG
    jps7.JPG
    166.5 KB · Views: 27
  • jps8.JPG
    jps8.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 27
  • jps9.JPG
    jps9.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 23
  • jps10.JPG
    jps10.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 21
  • jps11.JPG
    jps11.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 27
  • jps12.JPG
    jps12.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 23
  • jps13.JPG
    jps13.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 27
  • jps14.JPG
    jps14.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 31
Sounds like the show was one of those "be afraid, be very afraid!", oh and by the way let's take advantage of all the sheep and rip everybody off....

shows..

exactly the reason I didnt attend the local show this weekend... went to a fellow collectors and looked at his collection instead..

Reply to k98 bolt collection

Nice collection you got there, I have one real nice one I was saving, but got weak and put it on e-bay if anyone is interested. Its a late steyr 623 code bolt, looks like it was barely used. It has no guide rib, but it has the oval gas holes and the rebated edge on the cocking piece, rough machining marks all over and the bolt face and lugs look almost new. All matching, I think the auction ends tomorrow or the next day.

Is this the only firearms not on the banned list in CA?:laugh::laugh:

Pretty much. Here's some good old fun from the good old days when children where children, parents were actually parenting and cops would act like professionals. Just imagine your child taking this "Roy Rogers hat" to the playground these days, the LAPD would probably put the neighborhood on lockdown, shoot up your truck and whoever is inside and call in the gunships.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNWr9eF2Huk

Military Rifle Journal
Back