Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need opinions on ammo I found

Default Need opinions on ammo I found

Hey guys,

I found some old(?) ammo today and was wondering if it was worth anything at all. The guy who sold it to me said it was machine gun ammo, and I agree. Sorry to sound like I know nothing about old ammo, but I know nothing about old ammo. I got it at a fairly reasonable price and have 23 boxes of 15 rounds. I have included some photos I just took. Would it be safe to shoot in a K98k?

I apologize in advance to the moderators if I put this in the wrong place, but I didn't see anything for just ammo.

IMG_1945.jpg

IMG_1946.jpg

IMG_1950.jpg

KJ
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kammerjaeger; 01-12-2013 at 02:15 PM.
    "Was wären Ihre Männer lieber, müde oder tot?" - Rommel

"Und als es das vierte Siegel auftat, hörte ich die Stimme der vierten Gestalt sagen: Komm! Und ich sah, und siehe, ein fahles Pferd. Und der darauf saß, dessen Name war: Der Tod, und die Hölle folgte ihm nach."

Quote Originally Posted by Kammerjaeger View Post
    Hey guys,

I found some old(?) ammo today and was wondering if it was worth anything at all. The guy who sold it to me said it was machine gun ammo, and I agree. Sorry to sound like I know nothing about old ammo, but I know nothing about old ammo. I got it at a fairly reasonable price and have 23 boxes of 15 rounds. I have included some photos I just took. Would it be safe to shoot in a K98k?

I apologize in advance to the moderators if I put this in the wrong place, but I didn't see anything for just ammo.

IMG_1945.jpg

IMG_1946.jpg

IMG_1950.jpg

KJ
    First i am no expert on k98(7.9)ammunition but yes you can shoot the ammo in yours k98 mauser
    look at this thread
    http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....ll-steel-brass

Default Sme

At this point in WW2, German powder was being "fast tracked" during production. Before shooting, pull a few bullets and look for internal rust caused by nitric acid from the decomposing powder. A broken steel case can be most difficult to remove. JH

'Fur MG' only means it is boxed loose without stripper clips. Aside from the SmE bullets, there is nothing special about it that restricts it to MGs.

Default Late war 2.0/2.0/.045 German 7,9 powder

Three rounds of SmE. The first two are steel cased, the third is brass cased. The nitric acid in the second and third cases is breaking down the cases, the steel is much more affected by this process than the brass. The first round has not suffered from this problem and should be safe to fire. Since you have all from one loading lot, a small sample being pulled should give you an idea of it's condition. JH
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by haak48 View Post
    Three rounds of SmE. The first two are steel cased, the third is brass cased. The nitric acid in the second and third cases is breaking down the cases, the steel is much more affected by this process than the brass. The first round has not suffered from this problem and should be safe to fire. Since you have all from one loading lot, a small sample being pulled should give you an idea of it's condition. JH
    Thanks

hum... +2 haak. the st+ means steel case single primer hole? somthin like that. the germans had some issues with feeding the mg42. the rate of fire on that baby is amazing. i once had a chance to shoot an fg42 but no way.
    im thinking out loud here, but i think the case may be laqured? or somthing to help feeding in the 'mg42....
    ive shot some ammo with rusty innards. the case will crack. but it shoots.

Thank you Haak. Pic stickied for ref.

Default St+

Sol, the St+ head stamp denotes the thinner walled improved steel case head. It was reduced in thickness from about .09 mm to about .08 mm, and the internal base was rounded for extra strength. The anneal was also changed to allow the fired case to "spring" back and release the same as the standard brass case. Waxing helped and was applied before loading at a later point as well. The symbol for the single flash hole is a dash "-" in the head stamp. JH
    Last edited by haak48; 01-13-2013 at 02:12 PM.

I pulled two rounds this morning. Flake powder in fine shape and no sign of rust at all. Thanks for all the info guys. Can somebody recommend a really good book(s) on German WWII ammunition so I can learn more about the different types?

KJ
    "Was wären Ihre Männer lieber, müde oder tot?" - Rommel

"Und als es das vierte Siegel auftat, hörte ich die Stimme der vierten Gestalt sagen: Komm! Und ich sah, und siehe, ein fahles Pferd. Und der darauf saß, dessen Name war: Der Tod, und die Hölle folgte ihm nach."