Third Party Press

1898 Mauser shotgun conversion

MK111

I think this fits in here. I just picked up a 1898 Muaser converted to 28 guage. It also has a 2 round magazine coversion in the magazine well. The reciever and stock has been lightened.
The barrel is marked Gemo and barrel and reciever has the same serial number.
I assume these conversions were done between WW1 and WW2.
I any interest I can post pictures later. The only other shotgun conversion were in single shot 12 guage.
Frank

These are nice, I have one in 12ga that I use for shooting trap and for shooting geese at the local golf club. They are really generally only safe for light bird/target loads. They machine the locking lugs out of the receiver so all that locks the bolt shut is the 3rd locking lug at the rear of the receiver. That being said they are still plenty strong and I have shot some 00 buck out of mine. Definitely a no no on slugs though. They are a lot of fun. Make sure yours still has the bolt head because they are removed for cleaning and often lost, they gun will fire without the bolt head and it will blow up. Over all I find that the Mauser Geha shotguns are greatly undervalued and are fun to collect.

They also made then in 14 and 16 gauge

Is this a conversion that Germany did after the war? Or were they made for some reason, or by other countries? What were these originaly intended for? I had a chance to purchase a Danzig not long ago, price was right, but don't know anything about these, so passed. Thanks for posting very enlightening!...Mike

Theses were made from left over parts and recycled rifles after the armistice in 1918 it was an attempt by German gunmakers to keep their businesses going in the post war years. Germans had to dispose of most of their Gew.98 production so the enterprising gunsmiths recycled the former military guns and made the, into these sporting shotguns.

On my 12ga, you can make out a faint 1915 Simson & co. All the parts retain their original military matching serials including the stock.

Is this a conversion that Germany did after the war? Or were they made for some reason, or by other countries? What were these originaly intended for? I had a chance to purchase a Danzig not long ago, price was right, but don't know anything about these, so passed. Thanks for posting very enlightening!...Mike

I believe that in some of the smaller gauges that the front lugs still engaged partially into the front of the receiver. I could be wrong on this. I have owned three different 12ga ones and all exhibited some setback to the third lug. Light loads would probably be prudent in my opinion.

They are a nice light shotgun though and I'd eventually like to find one in 28ga or 16ga to keep.

They are a nice light shotgun though and I'd eventually like to find one in 28ga or 16ga to keep.

I can't believe I just passed one of these up, had no idea what I was looking at, it was sold at our local gun show last month. Thanks for the education guys! I'll be looking for one too!

I run into these time to time at our local shows in North West. I see people asking about $125 to $150 for them.
Next time I will take a closer look at them.

Remo II by DRPa

I have one of these in 16 ga. I believe the manufacturer was DRPa. There is info about them on the internet if you Google 'mauser shotgun' or 'Remo'. They were made as described above during the 20s when the disarmament treaty rules were in effect. Mauser parts were used to make these 2-shot bolt action shotguns primarily for export I think. The Remos had very nice original stocks and you find them frequently with replacement K98 stocks because someone has harvested the original stock for a sporter rifle.

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back