Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'ar44' 1945 assmbled - another possible rule breaker.

Super Over the Top Moderator -1/2 bruce98k's Avatar

Default 'ar44' 1945 assmbled - another possible rule breaker.

This one is a neat rifle , likely 45 assembled in the no-letter block normally associated with
    byf45 coded guns. The stock and hardware are legit and IMO, straight up. I had always
    thought that a Mauser standard stock would never show up this late but here it is.

Stock is stained laminated, big green 1 in channel. Typical 'l' block type full stock.

While not absolute on this one, thats what I am leaning toward. Mike had thoughts that
    this was an 'l' block, but having a deleted letter on both the rec. and bolt is pretty unlikely.
    Also this has a phosphated Astrawerke bolt - another typical feature found in 1945 Mauser
    production.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bruce98k; 06-09-2010 at 10:33 PM.

It's a nice looking gun. I guess it's just an oddball- the sintered iron bands usually don't show up on L blocks, so it must be late.

For what it's worth, I do believe if the receiver lacks a suffix, the bolt will too, regardless of when it's made. The bolt number was stamped to match the barrel/receiver number (my opinion). It's like the late L block byf44 I have with an i block bolt, due to the fact that you can't tell what letter the L is.
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Is that a scope you have in your pocket?

Wonderful looking Rifle . Stock looks to be in fabulous condition as well as the rest of the Rifle . A really a Nice find Bruce .

great looking piece....already time to update the kriegs book lol. Bruce do you find most of these rifles out of the woodwork or just from various sources?

Default ar44

Came off public auction site - I was hoping this one was off the radar and it stayed there.

I saw you bidding on this once bruce. It looked like a nice one. I was going to bid also but I saw that you bid first so didnt want to get into a bidding war lol. You got it for a nice price! Gorgeous rifle! Good thing the auction pics were bad.

Default ar44

My high bid was more about 4 times the selling price. They posted updated pics on the
    website the day before and I figured the cat was out of the bag.

TH - thanks for the major courtesy. I will pay that favor back.

Default ar44

I have a 3 digit no suffix ar44. Has e135 on top of receiver but only e26 on right side. Bolt has small x on underside of handle in groove next to body and mt on safety lug. Not a nice looking rifle like yours, it has pitting nearly everywhere on the outside. If I remember right the floorplate is #d. JL
    Last edited by jlj; 06-16-2010 at 07:07 PM.

Default Expanded knowledge base

I love it when stuff like this turns up. One again exceptions are the norm. The L block continues to be the rabbit hole of byf's.

Default L block

You got it JM. If Mike was to pick one late war code to collect and give up all the others,
    I think even he would say give me the Mauser 'l' block in 1944-45.

While not an 'l' block, this ar44 shares all the characteristics of one. This puts another
    wrinkle in late Oberndorf production as well by adding Mauser standard stocks to the mix.