Third Party Press

Karab 98b help

Can you tell where the stock was cut from the pictures? I couldn't find a seam anywhere on the wood. Any idea on value based on the images provided?

my bet would be that it was cut where the bayonet lug now sits, and they re-fashioned a slot for the band spring to sit in.

Your band springs retainers are too close, more than likely front end of the stock is missing and they cut a slot to accommodate the front retainer in what was left of the stock. The band springs should be about 5 inches apart (5 inches between the ends of each retainer)

Shawn,

Nice rifle, I'm glad it stayed in the family and it went to someone who appreciates it. Your grandfather sure knew how to pick a good one!

I Agree with the others, The front end of the stock has been chopped and the end of the wood was shaped to accept the bayonet lug.

Your rifle is easily restorable. A few years ago, I picked up a Gew98m that had the stock chopped almost exactly like yours. I was able to find a nearly matching front end (with the help of Radomman).

I had to cut back a few inches of the original stock to hide the "dufflecut" under the rear band, but I was more than satisfied with the end result.

I have a donor front end of a stock that might match the color and grain nicely with yours, If you're interested send me a PM. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 44
Thanks for all the info. Any idea of how much it's worth as is? If I was able to repair it with a quality job will this help or hurt the value?

Not sure on the value. But repairing it and putting it back as close to original configuration as possible will definitely increase its value.

Value will very much be determined by how the repair goes, as so many things are mismatched the overall value is not what it could be. I think you said the trigger guard assembly, bands, bolt are all mismatched parts, not even correct (98b) parts.

While any 98b is a tough rifle to find, the dated ones are worth more, this range is less common than the e-f blocks but still there is no premium for that generally. This would be a project rifle for anyone buying, and 98b parts are hard to find and expensive usually. I would say the value as it is now is about $600 or so, restored well it could double if you find some 98b parts and fix the stock in a professional way.

There is no firm answer for this, 98b's do not show up regularly on Gun Broker or for sale, a matching stock is very helpful, but unless the rifle is problem free value questions get squishy because there are so many variables, not the least of which is finding someone who wants another project rifle. Most collectors have several...

more karab 98b stuff

I also have had a similar karab 98b "project" for about 4 years. I posted on Gunboards back then (link below), but unfortunately my photos from that post don't come up. My rifle is #4241 c and has the same receiver proofs on the right side. The barrel code on mine is K 26B. I do have the original matching bands, action screws, handguard, follower, and trigger guard; but no 98b stock or bolt. I had a near miss on locating a cutdown 98b stock, but otherwise not many parts ever seen available. I'm finally givin' up and modifying a derelict 1935 Brazilian stock into a look alike.

At least you have a repairable/restorable stock and my sincere encouragement to put yours back original as best you can.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...-find&p=701579&highlight=Karab 98b#post701579

Military Rifle Journal
Back