screws3.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 96
  • screws4.jpg
    screws4.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 92
  • screws5.jpg
    screws5.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 97
Thanks Mauser22, looks like I came pretty close all way down to the 42 TPI, just off on the angle being 55 degree instead of 60 as I measured. As I said, it was one of my better screws but still a used one with probably some wear that kept me from finding the true edge for the angle measurement. Thank you for making the original blueprints available.

Also, 6.35mm diameter for the trigger guard screw per the blueprint makes it exactly a 1/4" 22 TPI screw. I stand corrected regarding my remark "Germans never used odd diameters". They obviously did, even their drawing refers to British Whitworth threads.

Last edited:
Wow, Mauser22, you da man! Pic stickied, great thread. You can't ask for much more than the original Mauser docs!

Thanks so much for posting the original blueprint for the triggerguard locking screws (capture screws). The big question is, where the heck do I find a M3.5 x 0.55 tap? All I can find online are .5 or .6 thread. I have one TG that I need to race the threads on to clean them up from a sheared off capture screw that I had to drill out.

Thanks,
Eric

What’s a capture screw? :googlie just messing with you, I assume you have scanned eBay for that specific tap? I’d try there or hell, maybe even Brownells has it, they even have 1/4-22 BSW. If not you may have to try a European source. Are the threads screwed up or is this a late war TG that was never threaded in the first place, need to watch out for that on rare occasion.

I've searched eBay, Amazon, Brownells and a ton of random tap and screw manufacturer websites and find nothing for a M3.5 x .55 tap which looks to be what the blueprint calls for. Plenty of M3.5 x .50 or M3.5 x .60 but not that elusive M3.5 x .55 tap.

Thanks,
Eric

Military Rifle Journal
Back