Third Party Press

One of my favorites, dou45 vet grouping

mrfarb

No War Eagles For You!
Staff member
I was cleaning up the desktop today and thought I would post this photo of a dou45 vet grouping I have.

I love this set- all items from the duffel bag of Sgt. Jesse Stamper, 94th Division. He entered into the Army in Ohio (89th Division) and fought hard through Europe. When he passed away, his family sold all of the items as noone was left that cared about them. Frankly, the majority were headed for the trash, save for the bayonet and rifle. The knuckles were in the Ike Jacket, and I'm pretty sure the family didn't know they were in there? I can't recall 100% on that, but know they were in the jacket.

Luckily, a very good friend of mine found them (at the time I did not know him, but another good friend did and turned me on to the set- thanks Chasdev). So many times the extra stuff that goes with a piece tells just as much of a story, such as the brass knuckles in this case. It was common to carry them during WW1, and these are possibly from that period- could have been from his father. A lot of WW2 vets were sons of WW1 vets, on both sides.

The rifle is ser. 98d dou45.

attachment.php

Attachments

• display.jpg
    display.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 1,286
That is a great grouping Mike, never get sick of seeing that! Thought it was also a great addition to the book... every collectors dream

Thanks guys. I posted this as a reminder to all the pickers- ask for the rest of the stuff when you buy the rifle, most don't. Sometimes the "extras" are what sets one apart.

Excellent grouping, from past conversations, thanks for the advice on asking for other stuff, it truly sets it apart.

That's probably one of the coolest K98k groupings I've seen. Pic stickied.

ARMY SERIAL NUMBER35622376 35622376 NAMESTAMPER#JESSE#F#JR###### STAMPER#JESSE#F#JR###### RESIDENCE: STATE53 OHIO RESIDENCE: COUNTY049 FRANKLIN PLACE OF ENLISTMENT5325 COLUMBUS OHIO DATE OF ENLISTMENT DAY11 11 DATE OF ENLISTMENT MONTH01 01 DATE OF ENLISTMENT YEAR43 43 GRADE: ALPHA DESIGNATIONPVT# Private GRADE: CODE8 Private BRANCH: ALPHA DESIGNATION+I# Undefined Code BRANCH: CODE00 Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA FIELD USE AS DESIRED# # TERM OF ENLISTMENT5 Enlistment for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to the discretion of the President or otherwise according to law LONGEVITY### ### SOURCE OF ARMY PERSONNEL0 Civil Life NATIVITY53 OHIO YEAR OF BIRTH23 23 RACE AND CITIZENSHIP1 White, citizen EDUCATION5 1 year of college CIVILIAN OCCUPATION542 Locomotive firemen MARITAL STATUS6 Single, without dependents COMPONENT OF THE ARMY7 Selectees (Enlisted Men) CARD NUMBER# # BOX NUMBER0967 0967 FILM REEL NUMBER5.29# 5.29#

Envious

In all my years of collecting these rifles I have never been able to get a rifle directly from the vet(or family) like this. Too many years and too many hands since the war.

Too bad as the origins and circumstances of capture make the object far more interesting.
:hail:

Awsome group of items, I hope they always stay together. I too think the knuckles make extra unique, I cant even imagine getting hit with them ....

Thanks guys. I posted this as a reminder to all the pickers- ask for the rest of the stuff when you buy the rifle, most don't. Sometimes the "extras" are what sets one apart.

Thats how I ended up with a pair of leggings an old boyscout knife and a compass. I bought a type 99 Arisaka from a vets son and he said take this too you have more intrest in it and it will be enjoyed more by you. Chris

Farb, if I could find one grouping like this I would let you guys have the rest as I would be satisfied. I have one German bayonet given to me by the veterans brother, it has been painted scabbard and all flat black. It is worthless to most collectors but I knew the vet before he died-- 3rd Army.

Awesome grouping you have!!!!

Fantastic save on the group- great to see it survive together!
A sidenote concerning the knuckles- while perusing a friend's extensive WWI collection, I asked him about a trench knife with a rusty pitted blade that was on a shelf. He told me he acquired it from a WWII vet that had unearthed it while digging a foxhole in France (!). Perhaps those knuckles have a similar history?

Military Rifle Journal
Back