Third Party Press

ZB 26 Question

Luft1

Got a ZB 26 directly from a collecter who got it out of a museum in Germany several years ago and hope some members can help me out. It is in extremely nice condition, almost appears to actually never have been fired. The only marking on the gun is a firing proof, and the bolt is etched with an original Czech lion and a 1939 date. However, there are no Czech nor German markings on the receiver and they haven't been removed, they were never there in the first place. Everything about the gun is pristine, and what came out of the museum was an MP 34 in similar condition (not MG) and several unworn SS and SA uniforms. It appears that the musuem used to be a HJ training and display area rather than anything combat related. I have pictures of all the items, the original display in the musuem and the collector who bought them with the curator and the items at the time of sale

Initially, ATF balked at the transfer (mine was the second, the first was the one they first approved out of the musuem) saying that it never should have occurred, but when I argued that if there was a mistake it was theirs, not mine, they let the transaction go through if I processed two fee transactions rather than one

Anyone have any experience or ideas how such a lack of markings could occur?

Sounds interesting, pics would be good and helpful. This was probably put together or finished under German occupation, perhaps finished with parts in the factory during the German takeover. These were certainly used by the German military, and Waffen SS.
Regards,
HB

Just pulled it out of the safe...at the rear of the receiver, on top is the serial number under which it was registered, 5785. again, only markings on the entire receiver except for a firing proof

Zb26

This is weird. I also have a ZB26 that is unmarked except for the serial number. Under "manufacturer" on the form four it states, "German, picked up from battlefield in WWII." If it was actually used, it wan't used much as it's virtually new.

My receiver has a very small - "dot" (factory) inscribed behind the mag release (between the butt-stock and mag release.)

When you remove your barrel and inspect the underneath are there German proofs there? I did not find them anywhere else - but found three beneath the barrel, and near the cooling vents/ribs.

I went over mine with a magnifying glass -

The chemical browning on the sear (and it is golden brown) was not even scratched from dry firing.

Last edited:
ZB26 markings

I haven't gotten it out of the safe in awhile but I remember it does have a Waffenampt on the sight drum.

Zb26

Just looked at it. The bbl has the sn stamped on the underside with a couple waffenamps. There are waffens on the buttplate, charging handle and sight drum. Nothing at all on the receiver except for the sn. No Dot markings anywhere.

That is very interesting - thank you for looking -

cannot comment on your lack of markings, beats me :)

Very nice you have the waffen marked buttplate, for some reason many in the US seem to be missing that part.

Zb26 5785

Just pulled it out of the safe...at the rear of the receiver, on top is the serial number under which it was registered, 5785. again, only markings on the entire receiver except for a firing proof

Hi, I am the proud owner of this ZB, would love to know more of it.

Thanks, HM

I thought it was German practice to not reproof or mark Czech weapons unless they needed work that required a proofing. The lack of German markings on parts made under Czech direction sounds consistent with this. Parts added later while under German occupation would have German markings but pre occupation parts that were serviceable were left as is. Thousands of VZ24 rifles bear this out yet served in the German military with no additional proofs or markings or only a take down washer being marked.

Last edited:
zb26

I have an interesting front sight tool, it is Nazi marked...I have never seen another like it.

Thanks, HM

Attachments

• P1030311.jpg
    P1030311.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 38

Military Rifle Journal
Back