Third Party Press

bnz45 with "extra" from the vet

mrfarb

No War Eagles For You!
Staff member
Continuing the theme of vet bring backs (without papers) and small things that can make a find that much better, I present this bnz45. Late unfinished T block rifle, typical of this type- no screws holding the bands on, no final acceptance, no final Eagle H on stock. Stock is ill fitting, mixed wood types (laminate handguard with walnut stock).

This set came out of a NJ retirement village after the vet passed. The family told the picker that the rifle was captured at the factory- the vet was an 11th Armored Div vet, but I didn't get the name (unfortunately).

What I did get was a red cloth that the vet had the rifle wrapped in, which turns out to be a peice of supply parachute dated April 1945. Enjoy!

Attachments

• side.jpg
    side.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 355
  • side1.jpg
    side1.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 340
  • bands.jpg
    bands.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 381
  • bolt.jpg
    bolt.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 353
  • buttstock.jpg
    buttstock.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 342
  • chute.jpg
    chute.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 331
  • code.jpg
    code.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 438
  • cutout.jpg
    cutout.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 357
  • guard.jpg
    guard.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 292
  • hguard.jpg
    hguard.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 273
  • serial.jpg
    serial.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 330
Wow, so ugly she's pretty! That really shows the scrubwood walnut you talked about...my "r" block walnut is a bit darker and more "walnuty"...though nothing like early war walnut...

mrfarb, The black hole of bnz45 collector. I really like collection bnz's they are almost all of my collection but I don't have a chance of finding them like farb. :facepalm:
I really like that one too, congrats on the find.:happy0180:

I got lucky on this one. I don't use any special powers to aquire them, but I see a lot of bnz45's for sale.

bnz + 1945.... I better not comment. :moon::moon::moon::moon:

If it ain't pre-1940, I don't want it :laugh:

Given the German characteristic for total perfection in craftsmanship, especially with firearms, it must have really hurt the builders of this piece to produce something like this! You have to give them credit.....knowing full well that they were totally defeated and could produce nothing better, yet still trying!

Remember they wern't Germans...

Austrians, that by 1945 could probably see which way the wind was blowing and didnt like their odds, or possibley the side they were on. Austria was annexed, but many Austrians were not happy about that or the nazis to begin with.

bnz/45

All I can say is that sure is nice. I guess you would call that NOS? Sure wish my bnz/45looked that good. But if it did it would be a SAFE QUEEN. Thanks for sharing.

Maybe it's because I'm not as well-versed in the ways of bnz45's, but is that the start of a bandspring channel cut in the stock?
One of these days, I see another in my future!

Just saw this thread. Mine looks just like that Farb. If you check I bet you'll find that the buttstock is shorter next to a regular K98k. Mine is. The shortness is in the length of pull, from trigger to butt, so it was made that way. That's a beautiful bnz 45!

Military Rifle Journal
Back