Third Party Press

Japanese Type 94

type96

As much as I like German pistols and rifles, I also dabble in Japanese weapons also. Here is a type 94 that I picked up recently and thought I'd share. I find these odd looking but they interest me. All the parts match including the 2 mags. The 19.1 means it was made in january of 1944. When they punched the s.n. and the date, it looks like they used a broken #1, also in the #46712 the #7 seems to be punche over a #6.

Attachments

• t-94 nambu 020.jpg
    t-94 nambu 020.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 86
  • t-94 nambu 018.jpg
    t-94 nambu 018.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 51
  • t-94 nambu 017.jpg
    t-94 nambu 017.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 60
  • t-94 nambu 016.jpg
    t-94 nambu 016.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 60
I'm not into pistols of any sort really but that is one interesting looking unit for sure. Thanks for showing. Not sure I've ever seen one before.

Neat pistols, but the completely exposed sear bar is the King of Bad Ideas. Some don't even take that much pressure to drop the firing pin. googlie

Neat pistols, but the completely exposed sear bar is the King of Bad Ideas. Some don't even take that much pressure to drop the firing pin. googlie

Yes, you can press the sear in with your finger. I think the japanese were copying the luger as it also has an exposed sear bar, but it is protected.

i agree, one ugly and dangerous pistol. still, theres something cool about a late rig with 2 matching mags and canvas holster with strap :googlie

That's a great little set T96! Many years ago I bought out a collection of Japanese handguns and there was a 20.3 T.94 with two matching mags and a loose weave canvas holster, neck strap, and cleaning rod. It was a cool little pistol but I traded it to Lynn Lugar for the G.98/40 jhv 44 which I depicted here. This must have been in 1991 or so. I've seen many G.98/40s since then, but I can count on one hand how many T.94s with two matching mags other than yours I've seen. What makes these little pistols so cool is how odd they are. You really can press on that sear bar and make it discharge. Pic stickied for reference.

That's a great little set T96! Many years ago I bought out a collection of Japanese handguns and there was a 20.3 T.94 with two matching mags and a loose weave canvas holster, neck strap, and cleaning rod. It was a cool little pistol but I traded it to Lynn Lugar for the G.98/40 jhv 44 which I depicted here. This must have been in 1991 or so. I've seen many G.98/40s since then, but I can count on one hand how many T.94s with two matching mags other than yours I've seen. What makes these little pistols so cool is how odd they are. You really can press on that sear bar and make it discharge. Pic stickied for reference.

Sounds like that was a nice rig HB. there was a 1944 date with two matching mags that was just on GB that ended this week. I wanted it but it went for $1k which is more than i thought it would. Theres a canvas holster on epay right now going for $500 :facepalm:

Thanks ham and others for the comments. They made around 72,000 of them starting in 1934 until the end of the war. Near the end quality had dropped off. I'd been looking for one these for some time now and felt lucky when I found this one.

The Ugly duckling

I also own a Type 94 with two mags, only one matching plus brown leather holster. I've had this out a few times to sell at Allentown but always put it back, its so crude and goofy looking that its cool! My brother wants it for his Jap collection but not ready to part with it yet.

Attachments

• IMG_1005 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_1005 (800x600).jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1006 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_1006 (800x600).jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 27
I also own a Type 94 with two mags, only one matching plus brown leather holster. I've had this out a few times to sell at Allentown but always put it back, its so crude and goofy looking that its cool! My brother wants it for his Jap collection but not ready to part with it yet.

Have you ever fired yours John? Reading on line, some call this a "suicide pistol", I'm not a gunsmith, but it looks well made to me.

I never fired it

I have been tempted but have not fired it yet. There are a few videos on YouTube showing the take down procedure and live firing of these pistols. I have a Type 14 Nambu also which I have yet to fire. Ammo can be hard to find also.

Have you ever fired yours John? Reading on line, some call this a "suicide pistol", I'm not a gunsmith, but it looks well made to me.

As manufactured, they are perfectly safe to fire. The only unsafe Japanese rifles are the cast iron Navy Specials. I would not fire one of those for obvious reasons.

Not really looking to fire this gun as all the numbered parts match the serial number. I think some give Japanese weapons a bad rap that they don't deserve. Most of the stuff I've seen appears to be well made albeit sometimes a little odd looking. The ammo seems hard to find now.

It looks like they had repaired that #1 by March of '44.
I especially like the later '45 dated pistols. They bring crudeness to a whole new level.

Attachments

• 100_3186 (Medium).JPG
    100_3186 (Medium).JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 100_3191 (Medium).JPG
    100_3191 (Medium).JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 100_3189 (Medium).JPG
    100_3189 (Medium).JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 13
Look at how the numeral 1 stands out on my gun compared to the other numbers.
Weather permitting I may take it to the range tomorrow for a test fire.

Look at how the numeral 1 stands out on my gun compared to the other numbers.
Weather permitting I may take it to the range tomorrow for a test fire.

John, It'd be neat if you'd make a video of your test fire and put it on here so we can see it.

Type 94's on YouTube

There are some videos on YouTube of live firing Type 94's and also the takedown procedures.

Military Rifle Journal
Back