Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gustolf bcd 4/ bcd45 serials and data

Keeper of the Def's Head M1903A3's Avatar

Default Another bcd/4 for the database

Pics of bcd/4 15706
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by M1903A3; 08-24-2012 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Content

Default All matching bcd 4 k98

Hi im new to the forum and was wondering if anyone could explane some markings on a k98 i just purchased and if i paid a fair price it is waA 740 and bcd 4 all matching except bolt non import marked and not reblued what so ever the cleaning rod is in tact and origional the stock has been stained with a clear coat but you can still see the eagel and H the stock and forearm match the receiver number as well as all other small parts. the only thing i dont understand is the underside of the receiver and barrel the barrel is marked AVK and AV there is an R under the cereiver and 6<Z near the screw hole under the receiver. any information would help!!! thanks!!

Welcome to the forum; without pictures it will be a tough road to tell you much about your rifle.

"avk" is the barrel maker, it represents Ruhrstahl, one of several firms in the company. This plant was actually a maker, whereas "bys" (also a Ruhrstahl plant) typically supplied raw forgings for others to work into a barrel. The "Av" is probably the lot number. I assume your rifle is in the m-p range of bcd/44 production? There about, with that lot it should be around that range or much later when they decided to use problem barrels as an expediency.

The waffenamt is actually e/749, not e/740, it is the only waffenamt Gustloff Weimar used after 1939, when they temporarily used e/46 for its start up. The other marking you will have to image to even guess.
    Last edited by Loewe; 08-27-2012 at 03:21 AM.

IMAG0084.jpgIMAG0078.jpgIMAG0077.jpgIMAG0079.jpgIMAG0082.jpgIMAG0083.jpgIMAG0076.jpg Receiver of the bcd 4 its also got Br 7 17 44 under the buttplate any reason for that? and being all matching minus the bolt with very sharp rifling what is the estimated value? thanks!
    Last edited by Heerwaffen2012; 08-19-2012 at 06:10 PM.

Cool

Damn I sense a little hostility haha if its my post being reffered to nobody was rude what so ever and some of us are not experts that's why we join these forums and for the record the information included about the Nazi era factory production and economics was more than welcomed as the forums are a place for knowledge thanks guys for all yalls info let's play nice lol

here is another one I have you can add to the list.

bcd 45
    ser.# 74757 (the last 7 is stamped over a 5, looks to be a factory error)
    russian capture
    barrel code: avk
    e/13 on barrel
    no import mark
    russian X lightly stamped on barrel

DSCN6040.jpg DSCN6060.jpg DSCN6067.jpg DSCN6066.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by M1903A3 View Post
    Im not going to get drawn into an argument with you in a subject area which you have already said TODAY in another thread is not your area of expertise. You specialize in the companies, right? Not the late rifles themselves. Yes, I read the other threads in the forum.

Your comment was one of those maddeningly unhelpful Mr. Expert comments that nobody likes. No useful information, no help, not intended to be helpful. No information at all on bcd4 rifles, nothing to add to the data or discussion.

I moderate one of the largest, oldest, most trafficked antiques forums IN THE WORLD. We NEVER make replies like that to people. Period. We pride ourselves on that.

If you don't know the debate around the late bcd4/bcd45 rifles, then I suggest you use this forum's search function to find out about it. Or look elsewhere on the web. Lots of good stuff out there about when phosphating started, why some bcd4 receivers seem to have been made into complete rifles in 1945, that's the kind of stuff I meant in my original post.

Who gives a shit if you moderate one of the "largest, oldest, most trafficked antiques forums in the world". Do you honestly think anybody cares? Do you think its going to gain you respect? I dont. If anything these childish posts of yours just lost any respect you had linked to your screename. If you dont like the way somebody posts here youre more than welcome to go back to your beloved forums and stay there.

Simson's main focus is WW1, interwar, prewar, early war even mid war. And hes one of the few most respected and knowledgeable persons in those areas. Granted he doesnt know as much about late war as somebody who specializes in it, but hes no idiot. But I can guarantee you he knows alot more than you do. For the record hes sharp on the rifles AND the political/business aspects surrounding them.

For you to insult one of the most helpfull posters on this forum for no valid reason is simply uncalled for and I will not tolerate it. Nor will others.

Everything you need to know about any question you may have is in the book Kriegsmodell. Theres a huge chaper on Gustloff. I suggest you read it. I also suggest you use this forum's search button as these topics have been discussed many times before as much of the information shared here was used to write the book Kriegsmodell.

You need to check that attitude at the door. We dont want to see crap posts like yours in our forums.
    Last edited by THunter; 08-20-2012 at 04:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by M1903A3 View Post
    It is you, sir, who needs to check the attitude. And re-read the thread. AND decide that it is none of your business if I didn't likehis smart a@@ reply. Actually replies. FWIW in browsing this forum I have, in the past, enjoyed your posts, and those of SimsonSuhl, and have said so. I didn't, however, like his comment referring to my original post in this thread trying to add my rifle to the database. Period.

If he had something to add, or could have pointed readers and myself in a direction which might further learning, he should have done that. That is what competent moderators or experts in a field do.

I do apologize for participating in getting this thread contaminated with an argument. But not for calling that guy out on his reply. Or telling you to shut up.
    I have re-read the thread. Multiple times. All 4 pages of it. 2 Pages of which involve you. Period.

None of my business? If you havent noticed this is a public forum where it is everybodys business. If you cannot handle being criticized or being called out on for acting like a totall jackass then dont put yourself in that situation to begin with. Period.

Im sorry you didnt like his comment and found it to be "smart ass". Actually I'm not, as he simply stated Gustloff is one of the most documented makers. If you think thats an insulting and smart ass reply...youve got issues. Serrious ones. Period.

We're not here to hold your hand and answer every single question you may have. I wasnt aware we need to fully go out of our way every single time to answer your questions or make sure youre satisfied with our responses. You started your own thread about any questions you had and for what it looks like most of your questions have been answered, or are in the process of being answered. Is the information not good enough in that thread?! Why must you paint a target on Simson's back here?! Period.

If all you wanted to do was add your rifle to the database...which is pretty much irrelevant now that Kriegsmodell has been released. All you needed to leave was the code, serial number, barrel code and the abbreviated details, not a paragraph. This thread really is not a discussion thread so simpson nor anybody is obligated to post something you see as helpfull. Period.

If you think apologizing to the forum for acting like a jackass in this thread makes you look like a gentleman. Good luck with that. Keep stirring the pot buddy, youre making alot of friends here quickly. Period.
    Last edited by THunter; 08-20-2012 at 01:34 PM.

Another thread gone viral...
    Life is full of fake people. Before you decide to judge them make sure you are not one of them.

Default My dog ain't in this fight...

My dog ain't in this fight... sorry

Quote Originally Posted by SimsonSuhl View Post
    If it has gone viral it is due to hypersensitivity on the part of M1903, to think that a grown man, a moderator at a high traffic forum, could take such offense to a simple comment that Gustloff Werke Weimar is one of the most written about rifle firms is unbelievable.

The simple fact is that besides Mauser Oberndorf and maybe Steyr, it is the most well known firm both in its company history and production. Especially their rifle production. Perhaps some of the material is not easily accessible and spread out in several books, but it is still in the hands of many experienced collectors. Ken Huddle wrote 50 pages alone, all on Gustloff Werke's rifle production, focusing on sub-contracting patterns. This was in the 1990's before Pruess book came out and showed the 1938 document that details the process.

Darrin Weaver and KM have large sections on Gustloff's rifles, the collector newsletters discussed Gustloff over the years in a significant way and I have a fold 2 inches think full of intelligence reports, book snippets and datasheets.

Anyway, had I known M1903 had the sentimentality of a 12 year old girl, I wouldn't have mentioned the fact.
    Life is full of fake people. Before you decide to judge them make sure you are not one of them.