Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some help with VZ24 identification

Default Need some help with VZ24 identification

102_0349.jpg102_0378.jpg102_0367.jpg102_0358.JPG102_0357.JPG102_0356.JPG102_0354.JPG102_0353.jpg102_0352.JPG102_0381.jpg
    I need some help with the identification of this VZ 24 I know it was made in 1925 but not much else .Is this rifle for real or did I get taken.

102_0382.jpg102_0383.jpg102_0384.jpg102_0385.jpg102_0386.jpg
    Here are some more pics .Thank you for the help.

I'm inclined to tell you that it's real - but what it is I can't say. It has the correct proofs for a commercial proofed rifle assembled (or proofed) in Oct. 1944. Some of these late war commercials are really strange, this one included. I'd say you got a good one, my opinion. A good late war commercial that is...now what they were for is not known, but it was proofed in Zella-Mehlis.

I suspect these rifles were made for local defence/ Volkssturm, but that is speculation on my part.
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

I'm inclined to agree with Farb although I can't see much detail on my phone which I am obliged to use for internet due to travel. I have two commercially rebuilt Vz-24's and from what I am able to see your rifle looks similar.
    WTB/WTT: (1)late E/H marked bcd stock either standard or semi-Kriegs; (2)unnumbered late MO Zf-41 stock, Kriegs or standard stock; (3)transitional late unnumbered type dot stock which uses bandspring and has bayo mount but no cleaning rod hole; (4)unnumbered byf standard stock as typically found on some byf 44 K and L block rifles; (5)unnumbered E/H bnz standard stock as typically found on bnz.4 and bnz 44 N, O, and P block rifles; (6)any bnz Kriegsmodell stock either with E/H or without

Is that the original finish?

**--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    **Wanted - Original un-dicked with late Steyr (bnz45) stock... Long shot but......
    ** --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These were completely refinished. I believe mine were rebarreled at the time they were rebuilt also. The appearance of the blue is a bit nicer than original--pretty much like one sees with the commercial Kar. 98k builds.
    WTB/WTT: (1)late E/H marked bcd stock either standard or semi-Kriegs; (2)unnumbered late MO Zf-41 stock, Kriegs or standard stock; (3)transitional late unnumbered type dot stock which uses bandspring and has bayo mount but no cleaning rod hole; (4)unnumbered byf standard stock as typically found on some byf 44 K and L block rifles; (5)unnumbered E/H bnz standard stock as typically found on bnz.4 and bnz 44 N, O, and P block rifles; (6)any bnz Kriegsmodell stock either with E/H or without

How about the A added to the serial number, was that done by the czech in 38 along with the czech accptance stamp on the barrel or was it done when redone by nazi's

The barrel was proofed at Povazska Bystrica, aka Brunn II, in 1938 as denoted by the E4 (E3 was Brno).

Any markings under the handguard?

I wouldn't recommend pulling the handguard off. It is the achilles heel of the vz-24 design. They frequently crack when manipulated. The visible commercial markings on the bottom of the barrel shank already tell the full story. There is no additional marking which would be worth breaking the handguard to see.

Quote Originally Posted by triumph2 View Post
    How about the A added to the serial number, was that done by the czech in 38 along with the czech accptance stamp on the barrel or was it done when redone by nazi's
    I'm sure it was done by the Czechs. 1925 is very early for a Vz-24 and I'm guessing it was manufactured shortly after they quit making Vz-23's. That may be the serial numbering pattern for the first ones. I'm on a real computer with a real screen now and will add that your rifle is original and looks good.