Third Party Press

Thread: Possible Israeli K98 Sniper ???

Default Possible Israeli K98 Sniper ???

Posted this on Gunboards a few days ago, still trying to figure it out. I know it is a Mauser, but not sure what to think about it. Not too many visible markings, s/n is 876 on receiver & bolt, claw mounted AJACK 4x90, 2 WaA63's below rear sight. An "L" and "I-66" visible on barrel above wood, under wood " 7.62 " and some strange figures. . I have taken it apart. Barrel and rifling condition & bluing is excellent, floorplate and safety #'s do not match. Stock fits great but has no markings at all, does not appear to be sanded though. I would have thought there would be more markings - year made, makers code, etc. Need comments & value opinions also please !! WHAT HAVE I GOT HERE ???
    Attached Images Attached Images

More pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The barrel is made by Israel in 1966. That's quite late for an IDF 98k barrel. Most I've seen were 1956-7.

So its a date, not twist then....

Quote Originally Posted by rikkn View Post
    So its a date, not twist then....
    Yes. Its means (barrel) batch #1 made in 1966.

The receiver doesn't seem to have any Israeli markings which is strange. I'm inclined to think that this is a 'put together' rifle made to externally resemble a WW2 German sniper rifle.

This is the first time I've seen that type of scope set-up on a rifle here.

I'm not saying it's real or not, just curious.

Is the mount / Scope the same type as the picture below? note the half ring soldered on the front of the scope, and how long the rear of the scope is past the rear ring.

Russland,_Soldaten_in_Stellung.jpg

PMKS - Looks a lot like that one. 5" of scope from the rear edge of the mount. Cool picture.

Is that a scope you have in your pocket?

Scope Serial Number is VERY LATE WAR Range which are found on High Turret & Long Side Rail Snipers . Not the Correct Serial Range for Objective Mount Sniper.
    I would bet the Sniper in Question was Post War Assembled . The Ajack Scopes that were used on the Objective Mount Sniper most likely would be in 25,000 to 35,000 Serial Range and most probable of Commercial Manufacture Not Military Type and many may have had or been Type with AJACK & AJACKENKROLL LOGOED with Focal Adjustment Scopes . If I had to Place a Bet as to Ser# Range of the Scope on the Rifle in the Picture being used by SS I would bet it was 30,000 to 35,000 Range .

The one other thing I notice is there is NO Rifle Serial Numbers on the Rings or the Bases at least none that are Pictured . From Original Examples I have had opportunity to Handle and the one I have in My Collection these Parts have the Rifle Serial #s applied . I should also Point out the Rifle in the Sniper Pic.has one Very distinct difference from the Sniper in question. The Mounting System is Saddle Type Sytem on Rifle in Pic . There is not a Lot of Original Objective Type Sniper photos but the ones that do exist , if memory serves me correct all have Front Base Mounted with Saddle Type System not Dove Tailed into Receiver . I am not saying this mounting system was not used on the Objective Type Snipers just pointing out what I have seen . Best Regards
    Last edited by Dave Roberts; 07-16-2013 at 11:52 PM.