Third Party Press

Unusual 5th Panzer Division Document

Slash

Gray Ghost Moderator
Staff member
Came across this in the bunker the other day while sorting through some miscellaneous paper items. A rather striking and unusual document in recognition of the 5th Panzer Division's brutal fighting near Goldap (East Prussia) 9 November 1944. The document is large in size approximately 8 by 10 inches with a very detailed depiction of a Panther Tank (Panzerkampfwagen V) below a large eagle and swastika. There is a also an Iron Cross with crossed swords and oak leaves design as well a rather ornate border. My German is not the best but from what I can determine the document recognizes the heavy fighting of Grenadier Regiment 121 and Panzer Regiment 31 in the Goldap battles. Oberst Werner Neumann in command of Grenadier Regiment 121 is mentioned by name. The document also memorializes the death of Panzer Regiment 31 Oberst Joachim Sander who was killed in action during these battles on 3 November 1944. The bottom of the document bears the facsimile signature of Rolf Lippert commander of the 5th Panzer Division.

Oberst Werner Neumann was a German Cross in Gold and Knights Cross recipient who was later promoted to Generalmajor and commanded the 563 Volkgrenadier Division

Oberst Sander was a German Cross in Gold and Knights Cross recipient and was posthumously awarded the Oak Leaves in February 1945.

Oberst Rudolf "Rolf" Lippert was also a holder of the Knights Cross and was later promoted to Generalmajor. He was killed in action on 1 April 1945 near Bielefeld, Westphalia.

Attachments

• MVC-001S copy.JPG
    MVC-001S copy.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 83
  • MVC-002S copy.JPG
    MVC-002S copy.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 65
  • MVC-003S copy.JPG
    MVC-003S copy.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 53
  • MVC-016S 2.JPG
    MVC-016S 2.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
more documents?

Hi Slash,

from whom did you got the documents? Are there some more documents or informations?

The brother of my grandmother was a member of the Regiment 31 of Oberst Sander. He was killed on 22.10.1944 in east prussia. Last days I saw a letter to my family underlined from Oberst Sander some day's before he was killed in action.

Best regards from Germany
Jogi

Hi Slash,

from whom did you got the documents? Are there some more documents or informations?

The brother of my grandmother was a member of the Regiment 31 of Oberst Sander. He was killed on 22.10.1944 in east prussia. Last days I saw a letter to my family underlined from Oberst Sander some day's before he was killed in action.

Best regards from Germany
Jogi

Jogi,

I purchased this document many years ago from Emilie Caldwell Stewart, well known author/collector of German Third Reich documents and paper items. It is a single document and was not part of a larger grouping (at least to me knowledge). Sadly, I do not have any further information on this item. Perhaps another forum member might have further details ......?

Best regards - Lance ......

Military Rifle Journal
Back