Third Party Press

Thread: Danzig 1917 / 1920 Gew98 m

Default Danzig 1917 / 1920 Gew98 m

This rifle is actually hard to place in a category, as it spans the whole timeframe, from WW1 to WW2 Nazi!

Rather than bore you with a bunch of descriptions, I'll just post pics. Bolt handle is numbered 3147 but balance of bolt is numbered 42- a rework error I guess? Font looks the same! Note early "skeleton" style flat sight base. Also, handguard is E/359 inspected and numbered to match.

Looks like it went through a couple of reworks, Weimar Jt18 on the keel, Nazi Ws1 on the side. Barrel code and RR included in the photos for SimsonSuhl.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mrfarb; 07-27-2010 at 12:37 AM.
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Nice, mrfarb, thanks for the pics. The renumbering is very interesting, but my favourite part is the font on 1920 property stamp.

I agree, a wonderful rifle and it truly does span the entire period as you say- most do not!

Clearly Imperial made originally, in inventory during 1920, early upgrade to S/sS (acceptance stamps and parts show its rather early), the e/6 wide rear band is a later upgrade too, then the nazi era for a final repair or inspection.

Amazing the original barrel survived it all- that is definitely the original Danzig barrel!

I hope you use that rifle in your Vol.I as it would be quite appropriate to illustrate what became of the Gew.98's that remained in Germans service, - not destroyed (as most were between 1920-1923) or sold to Spain.
    Hence, that which we have to express in a precise way, is the liberty of each limited only by the like liberties of all. This we do by saying: - Every man is free to do that which he wills, provided he infringes not the equal freedom of any other man. Herbert Spencer

Yes, this will be in Vol.1 and pretty much covers the history of the Gew98 rifle from WW1 to WW2, all in 1 package. I'm very pleased to add it to the collection. The bore is actually not that bad on it either!
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Great rifle mrfarb. If that rifle could talk, the things it's seen and done.

Safe Travels

Safe Tour

Forum Newbie

Thumbs up Nice rifle

Nice rifle mrfarb

I have just bought on like it, so one guestion is it kaliber 8x53j or 8x53js?, I have som problems finding out.

best regards

Karl

Denmark

Any German Gew 98 made 1905 or later would be for the S bullet or 8x57js in commercial terminology.

Jim