Third Party Press
Page 243 of 243 FirstFirst ... 143193233241242243
Results 2,421 to 2,427 of 2427

Thread: Questionable Camos

Peter, I remember back when I set up at the shows a little old man walking around with a cigar box full of "medals I brought home from the ETO" that he was selling. He said he personally took them off of dead German soldiers and POWs. They were made of lead.
    “Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.” - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945

Default nez's lid.

I have been reading this and building my thoughts on the whole scenario.

1] From the looks of things it was originally sold on IWF web site in 2013. According to Giorgio in some of his posts is he's a helmet collector 1st. and a dealer second.

2] So, if it were sold by G in 2013 why has it returned ? A number of possibilities could be brought to light and I'm sure we can think some up ourselves.

3] If you bought this helmet would you have returned it for no reason ?? There could have been a legit reason.

4] If G is a helmet collector 1st why would a collector sell if found a one of a kind camo with direct vet provenance ? If I came into it I'm sure it would be the center piece of my collection never to be sold. Maybe to G this is a second or third tier lid ? I have seen photos of his collection and he does have some nice stuff. Nothing as stunning as this example if real.

5] To be honest faking the provenance and photo is probably easier than faking the helmet itself.

6] I'm not saying any of it is the truth or the lid is bad but, this is the world we live in now when it comes to this stuff.

7] Not ever having it in hand I really cant comment any further. Nez has some really nice helmets and has a great collection and I assume is comfortable with the helmet. That's where it has to end for me. The rest is just all endless speculation..
    Last edited by mauser99; 08-10-2017 at 06:11 PM.

Mauser99, your #4 says it all.

A top shelve piece that is sold so often. It always makes me wonder, of course no real proof but it doesn't give me good vibes either.
    For example the helmet from my avatar, only came in to my collection because the previous owner passed away; and this is a sad fact with a lot of top pieces in any field of collecting, very often first someone needs to die before they change collection.
    Not so with exotic camo helmets, they are sold twice in a year and the new owner is always very happy with them, usually for less then a year because then it is sold to some other collector that can be extremely happy with his vet provenance super piece.

Mauser99.

I like your last sentence 'the rest is just endless speculation' and I will add 'ongoing conspiracy theories'

Over and out.

I'm not sure why it is, but helmets do seem to change hands a lot, especially exotic ones. That M-2 camo turd on the USMF has had like 4-5 owners in the past decade, at least. A named paratrooper helmet that saw action at Normandy AND the Bulge? Who the fuck sells that? I've got a few items, a guidon and a pistol, that will be with me when I die. My wife will sell them cheap, because she doesn't know any better, but they are once in a lifetime finds. They are not posted online, and they aren't for sale. But this stuff is sold all the time. Why?
    Last edited by nirvana; 08-10-2017 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Clarity

What camo turd ?

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....ig-Controversy

I should've been more clear, sorry. The US M-2 camo turd that is currently being torn apart on the USMF. Didn't mean to sound like I was attacking you, there are currently two active camo helmet threads here.