Third Party Press

Questionable Camos

Niblet aka Tim.

I was just given a demerit on GHW. A warning was given and I had to even acknowledge it was given with a click when I checked in the site. Grown men are becoming soft doily collectors instead of military collectors.

Attachments

• 3f1dff10ec3bff662164c73fdaad5a31--lace-crochet-patterns-thread-crochet.jpg
    3f1dff10ec3bff662164c73fdaad5a31--lace-crochet-patterns-thread-crochet.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Spoof, be careful collecting doilies, they are addicting :thumbsup: There is a (self)prominent WAFtard who has proclaimed me a "hobby anarchist" and this place an "asylum run by the inmates." :laugh:

Your a nasty individual with shite for brains when it comes to helmets and probably anything else for that matter.

Why don't you do the world a favour and (I have a small penis) off for :
[/QUOTE]

That response shows real intelligence. Why can't people comment on an open forum with a bit of dignity? Pathetic.
EF

That response shows real intelligence. Why can't people comment on an open forum with a bit of dignity? Pathetic.
EF[/QUOTE]

Agree wholeheartedly.

It's an abuse of the courtesies and rights we extend to everyone here. If you would not do that at other forums where you would be suspended for it, why do you do it here? Because you can? Because you would rather be controlled because you can't control yourself? Or do you feel like you can just come abuse the freedoms here and engage in what amounts to littering whenever you feel like it? That's offensive and an insult to our membership. Doing this merely indicates that you have no support for your position.

Niblet aka Tim.

I was just given a demerit on GHW. A warning was given and I had to even acknowledge it was given with a click when I checked in the site. Grown men are becoming soft doily collectors instead of military collectors.

Careful Spoof! dont say anything that the forum "leadership" doesn't want to hear,,,
how dare you have an opinion!

Here's one I picked up recently.

Attachments

• DSC_0873.jpg
    DSC_0873.jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC_0874.jpg
    DSC_0874.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC_0875.jpg
    DSC_0875.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC_0876.jpg
    DSC_0876.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC_0877.jpg
    DSC_0877.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC_0879.jpg
    DSC_0879.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_0880.jpg
    DSC_0880.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_0881.jpg
    DSC_0881.jpg
    337.7 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC_0886.jpg
    DSC_0886.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC_0890.jpg
    DSC_0890.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 47
Finally a helmet.

These personal attacks got old fast.

I must say for GHW or WAF to ban someone there for what they post here is pathetic.

Lastly I miss M45 where has he been?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

WWII M40 ET66 Afrika Korps DAK Luftwaffe Camouflage Helmet​

Item H653: Everyone wants an authentic DAK Afrika Korps helmet. Well, here it is. More to come…

Price: $4500

Happy Holiday's everyone !

Here we have a DAK camo for sale on the GermanWarHelmet dealer website. Notice that it has a nice large, bright painted name.

Some concerns of this one:

-Where did it come from ? If this has been hiding out for decades, it should have come from a vet. Where is the authentic vet provenance ?

-The helmet underneath the camo paint is a well-worn M40 SD Luft, a relatively low-dollar helmet. (Notice decal wear and liner wear)

-A nice large bright painted name that we all like to see.

-Camo painter apparently avoided the outside rim when applying camo. This is an issue because it can be difficult for postwar artists to apply believable age and wear to the outside rim.

-Everyone wants an authentic one, as the title says. DAK German helmets are extremely desiriable in the collecting world.

I didn't say the F-word, I said the camo is questionable. Are we paying more for the painted name, or for the camo or both ? Certainly without the camo or name we would have an unremarkable well-worn SD Luft M40; price: maybe $500 ?

So the camo increased this helmet's value by $4000 ?

And don't forget the all-important period photo.

Attachments

• H654-1-WWII-M40-ET66-DAK-Luftwaffe-Helmet.jpg
    H654-1-WWII-M40-ET66-DAK-Luftwaffe-Helmet.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 43
  • H654-4a.jpg
    H654-4a.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 40
  • H654-7.jpg
    H654-7.jpg
    371.3 KB · Views: 44
  • H654-19.jpg
    H654-19.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 44
  • H654-12.jpg
    H654-12.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 43
  • H654-8a.jpg
    H654-8a.jpg
    454 KB · Views: 37
  • H654-9.jpg
    H654-9.jpg
    460.3 KB · Views: 38
  • H654-11.jpg
    H654-11.jpg
    333.1 KB · Views: 37
  • H654-13.jpg
    H654-13.jpg
    392.4 KB · Views: 37
  • H654-21.jpg
    H654-21.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 45
Happy New Year k98k forum ! 2022 seems to be shaping up to be a bang-up year for questionable camos. Take this M42 wire + Tan camo for instance. Cluck wire has the correct European style twists but apparently repro liner and dome stamp. $3,500.

eBay item number:

An Excellent Original Normandy Camo WW2 German Army Helmet Marked Dated Mint.
Not the best German helmet, but certainly in the top five hundred.
This was likely taken right off a depot shelf, brought home and tossed into a chest. I had to take this apart to properly photos the details as one word just not believe it is all 100% original and correct.
A M-42 with a late war coarse pig skin liner. Liner has a blue ink number 7 on the underside. The liner is dated 1943, made by a company that was based in by a Polish Ghetto. The interior has a stamp, can not read that date. Strap is dated as well, 1941. Leather is dry but all intact. There is a heat batch number not shown in pictures. Amazing condition. I did leave some of the dust under the wire- a testimony to its storage.
All original paint, a but duller in color than the pictures show. Wire camouflage harness is all original and tight.
This helmet is truly museum quality.

Attachments

• wire ls.jpg
    wire ls.jpg
    329.8 KB · Views: 17
  • wire rs.jpg
    wire rs.jpg
    368 KB · Views: 17
  • wire front.jpg
    wire front.jpg
    362.5 KB · Views: 16
  • wire rear.jpg
    wire rear.jpg
    405.2 KB · Views: 18
  • wire top.jpg
    wire top.jpg
    400.3 KB · Views: 16
  • wire liner.jpg
    wire liner.jpg
    399.6 KB · Views: 16
  • wire liner 2.jpg
    wire liner 2.jpg
    452.4 KB · Views: 15
  • wire domestamp.jpg
    wire domestamp.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 14
  • wire et68.jpg
    wire et68.jpg
    453.1 KB · Views: 17
eBay item number:

Ukraine based tiger stripe camo. I added the period photo of tiger striped helmets myself for effect to show how easy it is to "market" these. By golly, they DO exist !
BTW: this helmet is being sold as a restoration, but will it ever re-appear as "authentic" one day ?

Attachments

• tiger ls.jpg
    tiger ls.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 27
  • tiger rs.jpg
    tiger rs.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 16
  • tiger top.jpg
    tiger top.jpg
    409.6 KB · Views: 12
  • tiger liner.jpg
    tiger liner.jpg
    350.4 KB · Views: 26
  • MarketGarden10.jpg
    MarketGarden10.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 28

German WWII helmet RARE Kriegsmarine sand camo. Same maker and lot # are known as KM decal helmet. The decal under the camo is deep gold color. All washers and pins unmolested . Liner band and leather chinstrap dated 1940. Unique camouflage pattern 2 colors paint mixed with sand. Name and possibly unit written on the liner leather.

SOLD

Attachments

• DSC_0765.JPG
    DSC_0765.JPG
    216.6 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC_0766.JPG
    DSC_0766.JPG
    188 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC_0767.JPG
    DSC_0767.JPG
    209.2 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC_0768.JPG
    DSC_0768.JPG
    201.7 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC_0769.JPG
    DSC_0769.JPG
    183.2 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC_0770.JPG
    DSC_0770.JPG
    174 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC_0781.JPG
    DSC_0781.JPG
    252.6 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC_0779.JPG
    DSC_0779.JPG
    265.2 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC_0778.JPG
    DSC_0778.JPG
    259.3 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC_0782.JPG
    DSC_0782.JPG
    271.6 KB · Views: 31
I was hoping to hear your assessment, TJG.

We have here a multi-colored exotic pattern camo (red flag) Most exotics brought back were long ago collected up. To see them today is a red flag.

Such rare one-of-a kind pieces would certainly have been in some prized VET collection, but usually no verifiable vet provenance. Usually not even an attempt using bogus provenance.

With strong disparity of wear (not matching), extreme wear to right side near rim while nearby at rivet there is pristine conditioned material (red flag). Forgers are good at applying believable camo patterns, colors and materials and even artificial AGE to their creations, but not very good at applying believable WEAR. Thus, we see large areas of the camo in PRISTINE condition. This is a reason why helmet RIMS often never have camo applied (too difficult to apply believable wear in this area). The liner shows heavy wear and the helmet rims show heavy wear, but the camo is pristine ?

Camos were usually front line helmets receiving often heavy wear, but here we see large areas of the texture in pristine condition - not one ding scrape or chip (red flag). NOTHING has touched these areas after leaving the hand of the creator. Really ? Not even capture pile wear, the long boat home in a duffel bag wear, repeated handling postwar wear? Nothing at all ?

A large area of what appears to be bare metal with red rust (red flag) indicating recent oxidation. Areas of metal that oxidized slowly as they were being touched (used in service) will often be very dark and smooth (like helmet rims).

Forgers will often set their creations outside in the elements to age their work. This will result in the areas of bare metal rusting - red fresh rust, bubbling rust, pitting of metal, etc... (red flag)

This camo does NOT fit with the types of camos generally available during the earlier days of collecting (80s-90s). These camos were often well worn, well beat (they had been through WWII) well age toned, FADED, colors blending with few sharp contrasts (no real defining lines between colors).

I add up the red flags and make an assessment. I believe this very questionable camo was once a well worn low-$$ helmet, but with exotic textured camo is now a nice movie prop. Price: no more than $500.

Last edited:
That's a good analysis. You really need a marker to test for, or dating method to rise above collector opinion, and weight the argument one way or the other. Otherwise, it's difficult to persuade others to reassess their opinions.

The marker you speak of would be forensic analysis or testing paint for modern compounds. Until this method becomes fast, portable and inexpensive, collectors will continue to believe what they will.

When we realize how deeply idealism is ingrained in the human instinct, we can understand why collectors continue to pay original prices for modern art. After all, they LOOK original and we like them, so the 'logical' conclusion must be that they ARE original.

But despite the lack of paint testing, there ARE clues to help us, like they way metal oxidizes.

eBay item number:

A REX39 replica, better than most purported camos seen today IMO. And priced appropriately for what it actually is - a replica. $575 buy it now.

Attachments

• rex LS.jpg
    rex LS.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 31
  • REX RS.jpg
    REX RS.jpg
    341.3 KB · Views: 30
  • REX REAR.jpg
    REX REAR.jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 30
  • REX LINER.jpg
    REX LINER.jpg