Third Party Press

Questionable Camos

M45

A SNOW CAMO helmet on germanhelmetsinc.com website. http://www.germanhelmetsinc.com/helmetssale.htm

The ad:

I know what you are thinking. Ken has gone crazy with the camera; making this many shots of a single helmet. There is method to my madness. I want to show you all the aspects of what an original snow camo looks like. I have strayed from my usual practice of taking photo under photographic lighting and here; I simply used a flash. I feel that this is the best method for capturing images of a helmet which is very difficult to photograph accurately. I think the photos show the helmet very well. Even if you don't want to buy this helmet; study the pics. In my humble opinion; the helmet is a real one. It is a Ckl66 M42 no-decal of late 1943 production. It was brush painted over in semi-gloss white paint which; it appears was slightly diluted. The paint is not whitewash (whitewash is a chalky water based paint which had a very limited survivability; I have never seen a whitewash painted helmet which had more than 50% of the paint left)

It is unclear as to which type of paint the Germans most likely used for camouflaging their vehicles and equipment during exposure to snowy weather/terrain. One would guess that the vehicle paint most widely used would be flatter in matte appearance; the same as the tan/brown/greens used during summer weather. I have seen original snow camo helmets in both matte finish and semi gloss. I theorize that a lot of paint was of local origin; that is, requisitioned from commercial sources wherever the Germans found themselves. Hence; the appearance of helmets which have been painted over with what we might call "house-paint". The paint on this helmet has the same consistency as the one which appears in my book on page 248. I owned that particular helmet for almost 20 years.

Please keep in mind that white painted helmets are among the most controversial of all. The signs we look for in determining originality of the paint are completely different between white paint and other types of camouflage. Quite frankly, I believe that most people do not know what to look for or how to judge them. Hence; opinions will vary widely. This helmet is the real thing in my opinion. It has what I consider to be "one looker" quality. The paint was roughly applied and has spilt onto both the liner rim and both sides of the chinstrap; verifying that the strap is original to the helmet. Overall a striking example of a super rare helmet which has a real "Battle of the Bulge" aura about it. If you have been looking for an authentic one; here is an example that I will guarantee. ON HOLD

ASSESSMENT: The camo itself looks new, like it was applied yesterday (no ageing). There are areas of the camo that are in pristine condition (no wear). Much of the wear looks repetitive and contrived (tooling marks). I see alot of red rust, indicative of recent oxidation (as opposed to very old black/dark rust).

Well distributed minor wear with no significant wear to the crown (unnatural wear patterns)

Attachments

• 579snowa0001  LS M42 HKP.jpg
    579snowa0001 LS M42 HKP.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 300
  • 579snowa0003 M42 RS HKP.jpg
    579snowa0003 M42 RS HKP.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 402
  • 579snowa00013 M42 LINER HKP.jpg
    579snowa00013 M42 LINER HKP.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 301
  • 579snowa00017 M42 DETAIL HKP.jpg
    579snowa00017 M42 DETAIL HKP.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 246
  • 579snowa00019 M42 DETAIL2 HKP.jpg
    579snowa00019 M42 DETAIL2 HKP.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 224
  • 579snowa00020 M42 TOP HKP.jpg
    579snowa00020 M42 TOP HKP.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 232
  • 579snowa00021 M42 DETAIL3 HKP.jpg
    579snowa00021 M42 DETAIL3 HKP.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:
Sawdust camo

NS64 M35 A SAWDUST CAMO on Italianwarfront.

http://www.italianwarfront.com/?page_id=9

THE AD:
German war world two sawdust 3 color M35 camouflage helmet with vet provenance and pictures.
Model 1935 most likely Wehrmacht, maker N.S. 64 with liner band dated 1939 size 64/57.
The lot # was covered with camo paint probably to cover a previous owner name.
All pins and washers are unmolested.
I have the vet name and will give that only to the buyer.
He was in Africa, Sicily and Italy and was awarded the Bronze Star, in the letter tells my friend whom he sold the helmet that this was picked up in Mignano ( Italy ) next to the Rapido river.
He also wrote a book ( I have 1 copy ) about his wartime experience as a combat MP.

Attachments

• m40 LINER.JPG
    m40 LINER.JPG
    253 KB · Views: 203
  • m40 ls.JPG
    m40 ls.JPG
    265.6 KB · Views: 253
  • m40 REAR.JPG
    m40 REAR.JPG
    249.2 KB · Views: 191
  • m40 rs.JPG
    m40 rs.JPG
    267.2 KB · Views: 169
  • m40 TOP.JPG
    m40 TOP.JPG
    241.2 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
yes I saw them all... I wouldn't spend my hard earned money on any of them... I would only believe a camo job like those if the vet pulled it out of his footlocker himself and handed it to me with a war time photo of him holding it in the field. I have seen one such helmet. The Italian war front lid even has a photo of a vet with the helmet to help sell it. All these lids stand on one thing.. the dealers rep to stand behind it forever.. So whoever says its bad has to prove it... So now we go back to trying to test the paint's age and makeup..
I only have a few cammos for this same reason.. I don't like the snow cammo or any of the others for that matter..

Last edited:
The white paint does not look 70 years old to me.

The other 2 look ridiculous. I'm not expert, but i wouldn't buy them.

Last edited:
From what I have gathered from various forums over the years concerning the purchase of camo helmets (and German helmets in general):

--It is all about who you listen to. You must listen to the right (knowledgeable) people in this hobby. They will steer you to the 'original' helmets.

--Vet association is very important. Even if some collectors don't like certain helmets, if they are 'vet acquired' that pretty much clinches it. (how difficult is it to conjure up 'vet association' ?)

--Customer satisfaction is paramount. A forum mod once told me that the most important thing is that the customer is satisfied with his camo helmet purchase. 100% authenticity is apparently not as important as customer satisfaction.

--COA's or certificates of authenticity seems to give a lot of comfort in this hobby. Does a piece of paper with a signature guaranteeing authenticity make it so?

--The association of a helmet with certain well known collections. If a helmet had once been owned by so-and-so, I guess if he liked it with all of his experience, it must be a good one.

Its not difficult to see how collectors long on cash but short on experience can fall prey to these arguments.

Yes, I agree completely. And that's what its come down to. Coa's and lifetime assurance of authenticity. What happens when the dealer dies or stops selling or goes out of business ?? Where's the warm fuzzie feeling then?? You have a worthless lid and a more worthless piece of paper. I feel the trend of buying lids on condition only will pay off in the long run. Not gambling on questionable cammos. The helmet guys after the sos show were talking about the "doc" he was a seller there the last couple years selling off his collection.. Well they gravy picked the collection and now whats left is laughable cammos , winter and medic lids that no one will touch with a ten foot pole. All were bought from experts and dealers. When you go to sell them back you get pennies on the dollar if you are lucky.. If anything.

A SAWDUST CAMO

http://www.battlefieldmuseum.org/engine/inspect.asp?Item=14&Filter=World+War+II

Scarce late war German Army thick sawdust camouflage M42 Combat Helmet in superb condition named to Uffz. Hempel .(M42 Army Sawdust Camouflage..

Although the paint color/texture looks believable (to me anyway), I see a great disparity of wear between the interior and exterior. Many of the questionable camos that I have seen are like this.

Attachments

• 14p RS.jpg
    14p RS.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 157
  • M42Camo (3) - Copy LINER.JPG
    M42Camo (3) - Copy LINER.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 165
  • M42Camo (4) - Copy FRONT.JPG
    M42Camo (4) - Copy FRONT.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 145
  • M42Camo (5) - Copy LS.JPG
    M42Camo (5) - Copy LS.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 146
  • M42Camo (6) - Copy REAR.JPG
    M42Camo (6) - Copy REAR.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 121
Im sorry to say I don't see what you are seeing.. When judging a cammo I first like to see the evidence that the helmet was actually worn. I see this with this helmet. Some of these "freshies" look like they have never been on anyone's head. Also the thick paint/saw dust doesn't wear off easy. Anyway, I figured I'd comment. I looked at the other helmets on that site and like them all. None are for sale as far as I can tell..

Yes, I agree there is considerable wear to the interior of this helmet; sweat stains, etc...

If you look closely at the exterior, you see what would appear to be a very aged paint. But as far as actual wear marks (battle scars) are concerned, I can't say that I see any at all. No scrapes, dings, scratches, paint worn to dark metal, etc...

It is as if the helmet was camo'ed in the field, and then captured while the paint was still drying before it could be worn (unlikely, IMO). The other option is that a worn shell had a camo job applied recently and aged to look 70 years old.

Come to think of it, a front line camo used in the thick of combat and then captured, brought home in a duffel bag or shipped home, in a vet's possession for the last 70 years in 'superb condition' without even one scratch or ding?

Last edited:
A SAWDUST CAMO

http://www.battlefieldmuseum.org/engine/inspect.asp?Item=14&Filter=World+War+II

Scarce late war German Army thick sawdust camouflage M42 Combat Helmet in superb condition named to Uffz. Hempel .(M42 Army Sawdust Camouflage..

Although the paint color/texture looks believable (to me anyway), I see a great disparity of wear between the interior and exterior. Many of the questionable camos that I have seen are like this.

The painfully obvious wear difference between the interior and exterior finish make it hard to see the exterior paint scheme as being ww2 period.

M1940 Heer Single Decal Two Color Camouflaged German Helmet - Named

For discussion: http://ww2germanhelmets.com/German-World-War-2-Helmets-For-Sale.html
A COASTAL ARTILLERY CAMO?

M1940 Heer Single Decal Two Color Camouflaged German Helmet - Named
his is a gorgeous M1940 Heer Single Decal Two Color Camouflaged German helmet. This WWII German helmet retains 95% of the original dark green & light tan/green field applied camouflaged paint. The camouflaged pattern is very unique and distinct, and is a pattern indicating possible use in a Coastal Artillery unit. The paint shows the correct aging and patina consistent with a period camouflaged paint. The split pin rivets are intact and are clearly original to the helmet. This German helmet has the correct and original M1931 zinc galvanized steel liner. The liner leather is in good overall condition with typical wear and staining. The liner is date stamped 54 and dated 1942. The name of the soldier is written in the liner leather and it appears to read "Kolashingki". There is also a typewritten label in the rear skirt that appears to read "Bauleistung Freiland, Gefr. Kolashingski". The original drawstring is present and in condition commensurate with the liner. The original chinstrap is present and is in good solid condition. The Pocher type Heer decal rates at 85% with nice lacquer toning. It should be noted that the Heer decal is over top of the camouflaged paint which is somewhat unusual. In my opinion, the decal is a period field applied decal, however, it will always be impossible to know if the decal was applied during the war or the early post war years. The helmet is an NS62 indicating manufacture by the Vereinigte Deutsche Nikelwerke firm in Schwerte, Germany. The lot number is covered up by the name tag. As with all our WWII German helmets, this M1940 Heer German helmet comes with our Lifetime Guarantee and Certificate of Authenticity.

$2,500.00 Item #2448

Attachments

• M1940-Heer-Coastal-German-helmet-2448-back.JPG
    M1940-Heer-Coastal-German-helmet-2448-back.JPG
    164.3 KB · Views: 107
  • M1940-Heer-Coastal-German-helmet-2448-decal.JPG
    M1940-Heer-Coastal-German-helmet-2448-decal.JPG
    278.2 KB · Views: 111
  • M1940-Heer-Coastal-German-helmet-2448-front.JPG
    M1940-Heer-Coastal-German-helmet-2448-front.JPG
    164.7 KB · Views: 99
  • M1940-Heer-Coastal-German-helmet-2448-left.JPG
    M1940-Heer-Coastal-German-helmet-2448-left.JPG
    171.3 KB · Views: 113
  • M1940-Heer-Coastal-German-helmet-2448-liner.JPG
    M1940-Heer-Coastal-German-helmet-2448-liner.JPG
    205.4 KB · Views: 87
  • M1940-Heer-Coastal-German-helmet-2448-liner-s.jpg
    M1940-Heer-Coastal-German-helmet-2448-liner-s.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 67
  • M1940-Heer-Coastal-German-helmet-2448-right.JPG
    M1940-Heer-Coastal-German-helmet-2448-right.JPG
    167.5 KB · Views: 59
  • M1940-Heer-Coastal-German-helmet-2448-spot.JPG
    M1940-Heer-Coastal-German-helmet-2448-spot.JPG
    204.8 KB · Views: 73
  • M1940-Heer-Coastal-German-helmet-2448-tag.JPG
    M1940-Heer-Coastal-German-helmet-2448-tag.JPG
    242 KB · Views: 74
Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't the paint behind the decal be the paint from the factory and not the camo?!?

This COASTAL ARTILLERY CAMO is fake in my limited knowledge.

Death Before Dismount

Assuming the tag is real, it is marked for a construction unit of some kind on Vlieland (Flieland may be a German spelling), an island off the coast of the Netherlands. The KM apparently had some Coastal Flak units there but I can't find any references to much else.

I personally don't like it.

As a side note, in regards to wear on helmets, I like to see some wear on the top of the helmet from when the soldier would take his helmet off and rest it on the ground with the liner skyward. And a gunner in a coastal bunker would of been resting the helmet on concrete.

Death Before Dismount

Military Rifle Journal
Back