Third Party Press

PTR44 Semi-Auto MP44

..my nightmare is equally disturbing its called the IRS, I could have bought a new F-150 in cash for what I just paid the lois lerner charity

I'm in the same boat. I won't be done with them until 2020.

Well, I joined the PTR44 club. Picked it up 4 days again and the ammunition arrived today. The rifle looked as new, but had been fired. Came with one original magazine. After all that I had read, I understood that rifle may need work, to get to run. Well, first 10 runs feed and ejected smoothly. Piled cases in a small circle 6 feet away. I had to have more, another 20 round down range, same results. Loaded 10 more up and rapid fire, this thing is a blast. Yeah, it may break, but I knew that going in. 40 flawless rounds out of a $6000 rifle without a malfunction.... Funny as heck, to be happy about that, lol.

Good1

Well, I joined the PTR44 club. Picked it up 4 days again and the ammunition arrived today. The rifle looked as new, but had been fired. Came with one original magazine. After all that I had read, I understood that rifle may need work, to get to run. Well, first 10 runs feed and ejected smoothly. Piled cases in a small circle 6 feet away. I had to have more, another 20 round down range, same results. Loaded 10 more up and rapid fire, this thing is a blast. Yeah, it may break, but I knew that going in. 40 flawless rounds out of a $6000 rifle without a malfunction.... Funny as heck, to be happy about that, lol.
Good to hear that John. Could well be not ALL PTR's have problems. Keep an eye on that receiver bottom. Tough decision whether to spend the better part of 2K for original bolt and carrier when the PTR pieces may be just fine----or not.
Pete

Last edited:

Congrats from another PTR-44 newcomer, wonder if you picked up the one listed on GB we were commenting on? In any case, good luck and hope it doesn't give you as much trouble as some have had. As Pete said, WWII bolts and op rods are going for insane prices. Here's a set recently listed, no bids yet: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/747574469

capitalism in its rawest form,

believe it or not someone will pay this and jack up the going rate

because there will always be someone with more money than brains and they got to have it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

congrats John you are one of the few who have not had a problem, the others who never had a problem, started having problems over time, if it were me I would send it off to Pete regardless

but heck its your money and rifle

cheers

Last edited:
I plan on replacing the bolt and op rod with WW2 parts. Just glad it ran well, to start with.
Really is a fun gun, haven't shot one since the mid 80s. I wish I had done a semi build years ago, or picked
up an original, back when they were more affordable.
Thanks to Pete for spending time with me on the phone, the other day 👍

Congrats from another PTR-44 newcomer, wonder if you picked up the one listed on GB we were commenting on? In any case, good luck and hope it doesn't give you as much trouble as some have had. As Pete said, WWII bolts and op rods are going for insane prices. Here's a set recently listed, no bids yet: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/747574469

Congrats as well! Pete is the man! Still loving mine and as for this set, no proof they're WW2 parts. Still listed at half what the other seller has them for @1199 bolt or OP Rod... Hope Dingo's shop comes back online soon..

GB bolt/carrier

Wonder if prospective bidders are waiting for someone else to get the bidding going. Not uncommon nowadays to see starting or asking prices double that.
Pete

Wonder if prospective bidders are waiting for someone else to get the bidding going. Not uncommon nowadays to see starting or asking prices double that.
Pete

I agree... more pics would help a lot as current made bolts have had issues just like original PTR parts. Although it was temporarily costly, buying two kits to get what I needed saved me a lot of cash.

Had a stovepipe this weekend but not due to FTE...factory loaded prvi case sheared exactly in half and only rear piece with rim extracted and ejected. Broken piece came out easily enough but damn, did I get a defective case or was this chamber reamed by an SSD worker who was hitting a fifth of Jaeger while on the clock? I believe the headspace is correct but will need to check that too.

Last edited:
Thanks, I had found your gunboard thread with a google search but this one did not show up for some reason. Sounds like I had exactly the same issue you did with factory ammo, weird because I had run over 400 rounds that day without a single issue. I may order Pacific tool field and go/no-go gauges just to make sure the headspace isn’t excessive.

Last edited:
No-go and field gauges finally arrived. Worst fears confirmed...WWII bolt went into battery with the field on my PTR44. Consider myself lucky that I ran so many rounds before having a case separation or worse and I feel like a dumbass for not checking headspace first. Previous owner rarely fired the weapon live so buyer beware I suppose. Thankfully Dingo has oprods in stock and I can use my correctly headspaced SSD bolt again. Looking forward to getting some range time with the new internals. Will save the WWII bolt/oprod for a future semi build if/when Dingo imports flats and trunnions.

No-go and field gauges finally arrived. Worst fears confirmed...WWII bolt went into battery with the field on my PTR44. Consider myself lucky that I ran so many rounds before having a case separation or worse and I feel like a dumbass for not checking headspace first. Previous owner rarely fired the weapon live so buyer beware I suppose. Thankfully Dingo has oprods in stock and I can use my correctly headspaced SSD bolt again. Looking forward to getting some range time with the new internals. Will save the WWII bolt/oprod for a future semi build if/when Dingo imports flats and trunnions.

You need to to order or have manufactured a new locking shoulder (maybe you can place a shim behind the old locking shoulder). To replace the locking shoulder, you need to drive out the ejector pins, remove the ejector, drop the trigger group and from the back drive the locking shoulder forward and out with a drift pin. Assemble in reverse order.

shim?

You need to to order or have manufactured a new locking shoulder (maybe you can place a shim behind the old locking shoulder). To replace the locking shoulder, you need to drive out the ejector pins, remove the ejector, drop the trigger group and from the back drive the locking shoulder forward and out with a drift pin. Assemble in reverse order.

Been there done that. Thing is you can only shim until the bolt makes contact with the rear of the barrel but still has to have enough clearance to go into battery without binding. beyond that there could be a too deep chamber issue.
Reloaders can size fired cases so their ctg. headspace is longer than factory. That is assuming the fired Privi/FNM cases show no signs of stretch ringing.
Cases made from .308, 30/06, etc. accommodate long headspace better than the factory Privi/FNM.
Long headspace is not uncommon in original MP44's, 43's etc.
Pete

Military Rifle Journal
Back