Third Party Press

PTR44 Semi-Auto MP44

Well, bring your stinky carcass down here from the great white sasquatch infested frontier and I'll buy you a feed bag full. You're always welcome! :thumbsup:

So what have YOU bought and what have you done to your PTR44?

You know, I though this might be better as a new topic / thread, but I know the hard core PTR44 brethren all watch this thread closely, so I'm posting it here. Curious to know what extras everyone's bought (or had to buy) for their rifles and what work they may have had done to it (for whatever reason).

Here's my list of purchases (It's long, so grab a bag of popcorn and a beer):

1. (1) MP44C / BD44 / PTR44, etc. Rifle
2. (7) Repro. Mags. Various Markings (1 of them "BD44: marked)
3. (1) WW2 Mag. ("STG 44" marked)
4. (1) Bolt (WW2)
5. (1) Carrier (WW2)
6. (1) ZF4 Scope (Czech)
7. (1) ZF4 Scope Mount (Dunno)
8. (1) ZF4 Scope Cover (Dunno)
9. (1) Sling (Repro).
10. (1) Reloading Die Set (RCBS)
11. (1000)+ 8mm Mauser FMJ bullets (For reloading)
12. (1000)+/- Pcs. of Used Brass (Shot from PPU and reloads)
13. (2000)+/- Live Rounds (All PPU)
14. (200)+ Live Rounds (Reloads - Spitzer bullets - Hornady data)
15. (1) Hammer (Repro.)
16. (2) Disconnectors - (1 WW2 and 1 Recon-crap)
17. (1) Safety (WW2)
18. (1) Firing Pin (Recon)
19. (3) Extractors With Springs (1 WW2 and 2 Recon-crap)
20. (1) Recoil Spring Repro. (Dunno)
21. (1) Custom Hand Made Presentation Box (Mine's F'n Awesome !!! … and where'd you think American tactical got the idea from for their .22s? yep … :moon:)
22. (1) Front Hand Guard (Dunno)

Gunsmith work performed to either fix or improve the rifle (Done by none other than the Master himself :hail:):

1. Fixed and improved lower receiver area.
2. Fixed front sight post.
3. Fixed dust cover.
4. Cleaned up mounting pins.
5. Modified Repro. mags. to fit better in Rifle.
6. Fitted WW2 carrier to Rifle.
7. Fitted WW2 bolt to Rifle.
8. Fixed Disconnector.
9. Fixed Safety.
10. Probably forgetting 2 or 3 other things.

Short end is this … I have bought for and have had a lot of shite done for this rifle. It shoots great again now. I still don't usually shoot more than (10) rounds in any repro. mag. at a time, but will occasionally load up the original WW2 mag. to (20). I also don't shoot the rifle very often given that they are appreciating so well. But I still shoot about 50 to 100 rounds each time I do and collect tickets from the people waiting around to hold it for a picture.

So, anyone else wanna spill their guts? :bump2:

Dog

You know, I though this might be better as a new topic / thread, but I know the hard core PTR44 brethren all watch this thread closely, so I'm posting it here. Curious to know what extras everyone's bought (or had to buy) for their rifles and what work they may have had done to it (for whatever reason).

Here's my list of purchases (It's long, so grab a bag of popcorn and a beer):

1. (1) MP44C / BD44 / PTR44, etc. Rifle
2. (7) Repro. Mags. Various Markings (1 of them "BD44: marked)
3. (1) WW2 Mag. ("STG 44" marked)
4. (1) Bolt (WW2)
5. (1) Carrier (WW2)
6. (1) ZF4 Scope (Czech)
7. (1) ZF4 Scope Mount (Dunno)
8. (1) ZF4 Scope Cover (Dunno)
9. (1) Sling (Repro).
10. (1) Reloading Die Set (RCBS)
11. (1000)+ 8mm Mauser FMJ bullets (For reloading)
12. (1000)+/- Pcs. of Used Brass (Shot from PPU and reloads)
13. (2000)+/- Live Rounds (All PPU)
14. (200)+ Live Rounds (Reloads - Spitzer bullets - Hornady data)
15. (1) Hammer (Repro.)
16. (2) Disconnectors - (1 WW2 and 1 Recon-crap)
17. (1) Safety (WW2)
18. (1) Firing Pin (Recon)
19. (3) Extractors With Springs (1 WW2 and 2 Recon-crap)
20. (1) Recoil Spring Repro. (Dunno)
21. (1) Custom Hand Made Presentation Box (Mine's F'n Awesome !!! … and where'd you think American tactical got the idea from for their .22s? yep … :moon:)
22. (1) Front Hand Guard (Dunno)

Gunsmith work performed to either fix or improve the rifle (Done by none other than the Master himself :hail:):

1. Fixed and improved lower receiver area.
2. Fixed front sight post.
3. Fixed dust cover.
4. Cleaned up mounting pins.
5. Modified Repro. mags. to fit better in Rifle.
6. Fitted WW2 carrier to Rifle.
7. Fitted WW2 bolt to Rifle.
8. Fixed Disconnector.
9. Fixed Safety.
10. Probably forgetting 2 or 3 other things.

Short end is this … I have bought for and have had a lot of shite done for this rifle. It shoots great again now. I still don't usually shoot more than (10) rounds in any repro. mag. at a time, but will occasionally load up the original WW2 mag. to (20). I also don't shoot the rifle very often given that they are appreciating so well. But I still shoot about 50 to 100 rounds each time I do and collect tickets from the people waiting around to hold it for a picture.

So, anyone else wanna spill their guts? :bump2:

Dog

Doug my list would be fairly close to your list with the exception of the reloadable supplies and the presentation box. I'm too lazy to list all that crap...lol

Bottom line is my PTR44 WORKS! Many thanks to Pete (the Master 44 Smith) in St louis.
The only time I take my PTR44 out is for a request otherwise it's a safe Queen.

The day I brought Her home. Hard to believe it's almost 10 years now. I never gave this rifle a name, I just call it the 44.
Second one sold in the U.S. We all know who received the 1st. ;)

I was on the list with Recon to receive one then D-Day posted he received one from PTR. So that day I called PTR and ordered My 44 from them, had it in two day's time. Cancelled my order with Recon and glad I did as the price went up by $300.00. a few days later. In all fairness to Recon PTR adjusted their prices a few days after that.

Last edited:
Well behind every gun there is a story. This is the story of how I got my PTR44.

My grandfather was in Germany during WWII. Somewhere along the line he picked up an MP44 Strumgewehr. Told me a few stories about firing it over there and after he became an MP about an officer who just about crapped his pants when he heard the charging handle rack! Seems the officer didn’t think he needed to respond to the challenge question like everyone else. He learned quick that it is best to give the reply. However he also held a grudge. A few weeks after that my grandfathers CO decided he should be patrolling with a Garand instead and the MP44 which should have followed him home didn’t. My grandfather while being very comfortable financially was never one to play the NFA game. However he never forgot it. So an ATI GSG MP44 .22LR put a grin on his face for a little while. Then one day I get a phone call to swing by the house, he had something to show me. Yep, he bit the bullet and paid 5, he couldn’t even say the words five thousand dollars but his smile was huge! He hefted it like he was 20 again and showed me how the PTR44 was an exact copy except for some parts to make it semi-auto. He didn’t have any ammo for it. Just the case and what came with it. It really put a smile on him just to feel that weight and rack that handle.

I saw it again when I helped him evacuate from hurricane Michael, roof was ripped off right where his gun room was. It was in the safe so I piled it with as many other rifles that would fit in the back of my small car, along with some clothes and pictures and other important personal items. No room for the bulky case or accessories, just the most important things. Off to an ALF so the house could be repaired. He never got back. A few months after the storm he got bad, I visited him in the hospital, he was getting better but then went down hill quickly and he passed back in 2019.

The estate is still being settled but the PTR44 is mine. I picked it, I wanted it. I had been back to the house and managed to find the cheap Plano case but none of the magazines or manuals or anything else that may have come with it. I had read about some of the issues with it. Initially the bolt and op-rod were jammed in the open position and took a bit of work by a friend to get it free. I don’t think he ever fired it, the stuck bolt may have been from firing or just shaky hands racking the bolt? I ordered a reproduction magazine from Numrich and have put about 50 rounds of the Hornady ammo through it.

I went back and read through all 65 pages and have come to the conclusion that this may be the most informative place to learn more about my PTR44. Here are some pictures. I am not sure who he purchased it from or anything about the internals so any comments are appreciated and thank you in advance!

8E70DC2D-07F2-41C5-A99A-7A4E0415DDDF.jpg
A9E5E27C-6FF8-414C-AB94-67241EBC6485.jpg
87DED1D9-84B0-436F-AB7E-001EBDD4E317.jpg
BDA295A6-3D89-42AB-A53F-526587B5FF19.jpg
FEAF5EE6-8EC4-4C47-8D7A-E1898947B5EA.jpg
1980C633-C91A-45C6-A7E3-A1B763A7B493.jpg
51424729-7766-4594-9D12-155194126B28.jpg
9D4FB234-B834-4762-9CEF-1889840E193F.jpg

I told people these things would skyrocket.. Got chewed out(may have been this thread) and told how "this would make a stupid investment."
Now they are routinely bringing over 15k it would seem. Glad I got mine back when they were in the single digits.. Could sell it and darn near buy a brand new car but love her too much!

Can still get the real deal for $30-40k unless things have changed recently. If you're going to drop 20k for this, why not drop a further 10-15 for the transferable.

@ Above story. That's a great story. He paid 5k, but I'll bet its priceless to you. Those numrich repro mags are pricey at $98ea, did they give you any issues? The original mags that came with the PTR44 are absolute crap.

I told people these things would skyrocket.. Got chewed out(may have been this thread) and told how "this would make a stupid investment."
Now they are routinely bringing over 15k it would seem. Glad I got mine back when they were in the single digits.. Could sell it and darn near buy a brand new car but love her too much!

Can still get the real deal for $30-40k unless things have changed recently. If you're going to drop 20k for this, why not drop a further 10-15 for the transferable.

@ Above story. That's a great story. He paid 5k, but I'll bet its priceless to you. Those numrich repro mags are pricey at $98ea, did they give you any issues? The original mags that came with the PTR44 are absolute crap.

I don’t recall any issues with the Numrich mag. Original mags are listed on GB for $600 right now so I will stick with the reproduction. I am mostly concerned about the bolt and op-rod. Not sure if these are the good ones or if saving up for original parts would be necessary.

Two real deal MP44s sold in the same auction as well. One in Fair condition for $40K, the other in Excelent condition $57K. So an extra $10K would still leave you $10K short!

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/82/1587

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/82/3524

Oh GTFO!!! $20k??

Well, "the club" always had limited number of membership cards. I heard of 199, maybe 200, in case someone was successful at putting the worst one back into working condition. Got mine in 2012 or 2013, don't remember exactly. Glad I didn't flinch when it became available. Sitting in the safe with all the other steadily appreciating junk.

I don’t recall any issues with the Numrich mag. Original mags are listed on GB for $600 right now so I will stick with the reproduction. I am mostly concerned about the bolt and op-rod. Not sure if these are the good ones or if saving up for original parts would be necessary.

If the bolt and op-rod have been replaced with WWII parts they will have the German acceptance marks on them.

I sourced and replaced the once in mine since the ears broke of the bolt, also ended up replacing the hammer and sear since they wore out and the gun started doubling.

The BD44 is a marvelous reproduction but the internal parts were junk.

Welcome to the club !!! Most of the owners here have been part of the BD44, MP44C, PTR44 saga for over 10 years (myself since 2007) , so you came to the right place. Sad too hear about your old man. It's tough. I've been there myself. Prayers to you and your family.

Now, to the rifle ... I'm sure you've read enough to know that one of the main things you want to do is replace the op rod. I'd recommend the bolt as well. My op rod ears didn't break like others, but i took no chance and a bought a WW2 bolt and op rod and had both fitted to the rifle. Also check that your chamber is reamed correctly. Reinforce the receiver where the bottom of the op rod/bolt assembly rides as that is known to wear down. Id also recommend getting a replacement trigger, safety, disconnector and maybe some other internals - stiffer spring can help some feeding issues. WW2 parts are great, but fitting will be required on many. SSD had a parts site online in the USA where you could get a lot of these, but i think Dittrich suspended it for now - i could be wrong about that.

Get at least 1 WW2 mag as they function flawlessly. However, you can fix some of the crap mags by adding material to the mag catch slot on the side of the mag - worked on several of mine. I have quite the variety of mags including one i got directly from SSD and an original WW2 stamped "STG 44".

Safe queen my a$$. Shoot it. That's what they are meant for. BUT, if you haven't done the typical fixes, eventually "something" will likely break. OR, don't do the fixes and fondle it like Bilbo and Golem did with the ring of power. Your choice, buddy..

Mine is now Cali legal. Wooohooo !! She sat in Alaska for 2 years and after finding/grabbing a grip fin and a 10 round mag ... VIOLA !!!, i can bring her home to me now in Norcal where my nephews are chomping at the bit to shoot her - only 10 rounds each though as I still get a little concerned about breakage ... and at 20k a pop now !!!! Holy F me to tears Batman ... i definitely don't want a breakage now. And i have TONS more than that last auction guy had ... amateur, Hmph.

Hang on a sec... Gotta break into a song on that note: Sweeeeeet Caaaroline .. da da daaaaaa !!!

Feel free to call (p.m. me for phone #) if you wanna know more or need info on the 2 best MP44 gunsmith's i know that are out there. Both have memberships here on this forum. I and many of my online brothers here have literally posted books about this PITA toy - that we will never give up.

Welcome again !! ... and please post your experiences with the rifle here for all to see.

Doug (DDay)

Well, "the club" always had limited number of membership cards. I heard of 199, maybe 200, in case someone was successful at putting the worst one back into working condition. Got mine in 2012 or 2013, don't remember exactly. Glad I didn't flinch when it became available. Sitting in the safe with all the other steadily appreciating junk.

Yeah I remember when these first came out. Weren't they about 5 or 6k? I still had 2 boys in school (expensive) so I wasn't in a position to buy one even though I'd given it a thought. I did NOT realize they made such a limited number however. As it turns out they were a pretty smart buy.

Welcome to the club !!! Most of the owners here have been part of the BD44, MP44C, PTR44 saga for over 10 years (myself since 2007) , so you came to the right place. Sad too hear about your old man. It's tough. I've been there myself. Prayers to you and your family.

Now, to the rifle ... I'm sure you've read enough to know that one of the main things you want to do is replace the op rod. I'd recommend the bolt as well. My op rod ears didn't break like others, but i took no chance and a bought a WW2 bolt and op rod and had both fitted to the rifle. Also check that your chamber is reamed correctly. Reinforce the receiver where the bottom of the op rod/bolt assembly rides as that is known to wear down. Id also recommend getting a replacement trigger, safety, disconnector and maybe some other internals - stiffer spring can help some feeding issues. WW2 parts are great, but fitting will be required on many. SSD had a parts site online in the USA where you could get a lot of these, but i think Dittrich suspended it for now - i could be wrong about that.

Get at least 1 WW2 mag as they function flawlessly. However, you can fix some of the crap mags by adding material to the mag catch slot on the side of the mag - worked on several of mine. I have quite the variety of mags including one i got directly from SSD and an original WW2 stamped "STG 44".

Safe queen my a$$. Shoot it. That's what they are meant for. BUT, if you haven't done the typical fixes, eventually "something" will likely break. OR, don't do the fixes and fondle it like Bilbo and Golem did with the ring of power. Your choice, buddy..

Mine is now Cali legal. Wooohooo !! She sat in Alaska for 2 years and after finding/grabbing a grip fin and a 10 round mag ... VIOLA !!!, i can bring her home to me now in Norcal where my nephews are chomping at the bit to shoot her - only 10 rounds each though as I still get a little concerned about breakage ... and at 20k a pop now !!!! Holy F me to tears Batman ... i definitely don't want a breakage now. And i have TONS more than that last auction guy had ... amateur, Hmph.

Hang on a sec... Gotta break into a song on that note: Sweeeeeet Caaaroline .. da da daaaaaa !!!

Feel free to call (p.m. me for phone #) if you wanna know more or need info on the 2 best MP44 gunsmith's i know that are out there. Both have memberships here on this forum. I and many of my online brothers here have literally posted books about this PITA toy - that we will never give up.

Welcome again !! ... and please post your experiences with the rifle here for all to see.

Doug (DDay)
The site is not suspended , only had a long Covid break du to the closed boarder. Finally back in USA, thanks to a KY senator. D

The site is not suspended , only had a long Covid break du to the closed boarder. Finally back in USA, thanks to a KY senator. D

Welcome back! As I posted above I have now inherited an un-modified PTR44. Of course ai would like to preserve the value and the original parts so I guess I am looking for a bolt and op rod to use instead of the originals. Any suggestions or advice on that?

I guess I am a bottom feeder in that I inherited mine and didn’t plunk down cash. I don’t have the funds to just order up a grand worth of parts but will need to save a bit to purchase. So if there is advice on which parts would be best to buy I would appreciate it.

I remember looking at the prices of original WWII mags, accessories, and parts and thinking I was happy I didn’t need to spend that kind of money on a reproduction! At least I can get the $30 Mag pouch and reproduction sling instead of an original! Might save a grand there!

Yeah I remember when these first came out. Weren't they about 5 or 6k? I still had 2 boys in school (expensive) so I wasn't in a position to buy one even though I'd given it a thought. I did NOT realize they made such a limited number however. As it turns out they were a pretty smart buy.

200 was the number of PTR-44 imported into the U.S. before the hammer dropped. Under the name BD-44 the PTR44 was also imported into Canada.

200 was the number of PTR-44 imported into the U.S. before the hammer dropped. Under the name BD-44 the PTR44 was also imported into Canada.

I wonder how many BD-44 and BD-42(H) Marstar brought in strictly
for Canadian market sales? A very small fraction of the 200?

I wonder how many BD-44 and BD-42(H) Marstar brought in strictly
for Canadian market sales? A very small fraction of the 200?

Not to many got into Canada before marstar shut it down due to quality issues and lack of parts. I talked them a few times about it and recall them lowering the price a lot on the remaining stock they had.

If I can't find an original hammer and sear assy I might as well. Until I do, Pete can't get it running. Anybody building a 922r gun have an extra original sear and hammer? I'd pay....

Military Rifle Journal
Back