Third Party Press
Page 1 of 60 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: PTR44 Semi-Auto MP44

Default PTR44 Semi-Auto MP44

Picked this up when they were available. Pretty neat rifle, people have had a lot of issues with them breaking the ears from op rods and such, so much so that Recon Ordnance has started making new bolts and other parts. I wish SSD would ship some replacement parts in. I'm having an issue with mine at the moment, the bolt hangs up in the receiver and jams. I haven't had too much time to worry about it, but the gun has fired several hundred rounds with not other issues. Still, it's great to look at and cheaper than the transferable Stg44 I sold off years ago (wish I still had it though). I refinished the trigger group and handguard in light parkerize to simulate the dual tone guns, what can I say I love phosphate.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Thanks mrfarb, now we can start with a clean plate.

I too was plagued with problems with this gun, back and running now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noBYw8qNln8

M.
    Last edited by Model; 08-11-2013 at 05:27 PM.

Default PTR-44 bullet button

Ever since Dianne Feinstein decided to launch her full scale assault on legal gun ownership, questions have come up to what extend we -as historic rifle collectors- will be affected by her proposals. It is now clear that it will all boil down to the magazine. If the magazine is considered detachable, and BTW, this will also be of concern if you own certain G43 models, the rifle may be classified and vilified as an "assault rifle" if it has at least one other feature as innocent as a muzzle nut (the "threaded barrel" part of Feinstein's proposal).

Past restrictions in California have led to the development of the bullet button. Relying on a tool for ejecting the magazine instead of simply pressing a release button -in this case using the tip of a bullet- makes the magazine a fixed magazine in the eye of the law (well, the LEOs may still see it differently but there's a flyer with guidelines issued by the Sacramento PD that every owner of an "assault rifle" should carry along with the rifle). Once the magazine is considered fixed, muzzle nuts and pistol grips become a non-issue.

Assuming that the whole nation will soon be as screwed up as California, I have decided to be pro-active and I've looked into developing a "fixed magazine" feature for the PTR-44. The first 2 pictures below show the piece parts of the original push button release, followed by my fixed magazine conversion. I decided not to use a bullet tip as means of releasing the magazine catch but to built a custom 2-prong tool in order to distinguish my contraption from the current AR-style bullet buttons with their known workarounds (magnetic button insert etc. <--felony!!!). In case our elected officials keep pushing us further against the wall by simply outlawing all detachable magazines, bullet button or not, I have already come up with with a solution making the magazine permanently attached (in lawmakers' lingo, "permanently attached" means you can't remove the magazine without first taking the action apart). Loading the non-detachable magazine will turn into a major PITA, though.

Default PTR-44 Owners Welcome!

Thanks to mrfarb for setting up this thread, the old PTR section in the G/K43 forum held a ton of information. Welcome to new members from the old forum, nice to have you aboard. Here's a couple of photos of mine in various "forms", full pimped and otherwise.

Hey farb, love the phosphate man!

G

Life is full of fake people. Before you decide to judge them make sure you are not one of them.

Default Welcome home, former G/K43 members

PTR-44 with bullet button conversion, 10rd SSD/BD44 mag, ZF4 "dow" scope and Sarco G43 scope mount.

DSC00007.JPG

DSC00011.JPG

Ware did you guys get the 10 rounders??? are they modded 30 rounders?
    Last edited by Model; 08-11-2013 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Model View Post
    My mag is a BD44 mag made by SSD and came directly from Germany, modified with a U.S. made ReconOrdnance extended length follower. Maybe MARSTAR of Canada who import BD44 rifles from SSD have the 10 rounders in stock. You could also call ReconOrdnance and see if they still sell the 10 rd mags. I remember they used to sell for about $200 here in the U.S.

The other option would be to cut a 30rd mag short, put a small lip for the floorplate around the bottom and install an AR spring. There's a problem with the 10rd legal mags, though: If you shorten it to hold 10 rounds plus a little bit of wiggle room on top, you cant completely insert it with the bolt closed. You must pull the charging handle back when inserting the mag. If you leave the mag just a tad longer so you can insert it with the bolt closed, surprisingly there is enough room in the mag for an 11th round, and that makes it a felony in nanny states like California.

Quote Originally Posted by Model View Post
    I picked mine up from a private seller in Holland some years back, only one I've seen other than in books so I grabbed it. Appears to be original and is stamped with a tiny eagle proof on the front edge, see the page on Claus's site here:

http://claus.espeholt.dk/mp44.htm

I can say it functions flawlessly on both my PTR44 and MP44. Great for shooting from the bench with a scope.

Last edited by gergnotwen; 08-11-2013 at 06:44 PM.
    Life is full of fake people. Before you decide to judge them make sure you are not one of them.

Did the maker of the PTRs make or at least think of making krummerlaufs? Would be kind of cool to have for the sake of having.