Third Party Press

Kriegsmodell – German Edition

Markwart

The publication from DWJ is not really great. The translation is horrible and you find a lot of mistakes with the pictures.
Use they a dice cup for the picture attribution? :laugh:

One (!) example here:

P1000660.jpg P1000659.jpg

In the German legend you can read, that the K98k with code svw MB was produced by Sauer & Sohn but in realness Sauer is only the sub-supplier of the stock.

It's tough to translate a book and not get errors, especially one as complicated at this one. There are errors in the English first edition as well, although nothing so glaring.

I give DWJ credit, they did a fine job with it overall. A book is never going to be as good in a second language as the native one, not any book. Even Dr. Storz book on the Gew.98 has translation issues from what I have heard, and that is an excellent book.

Yes, where are errors in the English first edition too, I know.

But I feel that the translator or the publisher didn’t read the book really.

They translate the blurb exactly but you can not find the chapter 10. in Germany.

Look at the picture on the German front page and read the German legend.

Waste mistakes, what a pity!

I got an offer to buy the german version of Kriegsmodell but i'm unsure about the cover of the book.

$_85.JPG

Sorry for the bad picture quality.
When i google the german translation a different cover pops up so i'm wondering if there are more than 1 different covers for the german version?

Thx Markwart, yeah that was the cover version that i knew of.
Just received larger images of the front and back cover from the seller and the ISBN of this version is the same as the german version on amazon.

Yep. I'm planning on ordering vol 2+3 when vol 2 is ready.
I've paid 74 euros for the shipment of vol 1, so for now i'm satisfied with the german version for 60 euros shipped :thumbsup:

Yes you can say that...when i bought it i couldn't find a copy in Europe.

Thanks for the link! Nice to see they have vol 3 in stock.
It's a good thing that site is in english too...my deutsch is not as great as my dutch (;

Shipping from the US is very expensive because of terrorism. For whatever reason heavy items MUST be shipped USPS Priority Mail, and our books are heavy. We have a few overseas dealers for this reason, with BERLINER ZINNFIGUREN being one of the big ones.

Yes. “Berliner Zinnfiguren/Preußisches Bücherkabinett" is an excellent store with excellent books for customer in Europe.

Riding into the Twilight.jpg

The common problem with translating arms books is usually that the translators have themselves have no experience with arms and are unfamiliar with arms terminology even in their native language. "Weaponspeak" (for lack of a better term) is not common in the general population, let alone the technical translator community. In some cases (especially when dealing with older arms texts) modern terminology does not match that in use when the original text was written and a modern translator is completely at sea... Editing is another matter altogether.

It was published by DWJ, "Deutsches Waffen Journal" what would be translated as "German Weapon Journal". If they didn't use a translation company but instead their own people, it can't be that bad.

Right translation is difficult particularly I know that. :biggrin1:

But not the translation mistakes are irritating it’s the passionless handling. Missing chapters, interchange pictures.

I hope my criticism is understandable. It is not a gripe.

Right translation is difficult particularly I know that. :biggrin1:

But not the translation mistakes are irritating it’s the passionless handling. Missing chapters, interchange pictures.

I hope my criticism is understandable. It is not a gripe.

Those are editing problems and are inexcusable.

The top picture on page 225 of the German edition has the same caption as the bottom left picture on page 221 but shows an entirely different part from a different rifle. Probably a "copy and paste" oversight, nevertheless annoying as the picture shows a sniper safety.

Military Rifle Journal
Back