Third Party Press

G33/40 observations

CaptMax

While trying to educate myself on the G33/40 rifles I have come to some conclusions. I am hoping others can contribute to my knowledge of these before I take the plunge and purchase one. This is what I have learned so far. Feel free to add any information or comments to this thread. "Thank-you"
CaptMax

The G33/40's were used by the Gebirgsjagers and Fallschirmjagers. They were produced for three short years, from October 16th 1940 as the Gewehr 33/40 until December of 1942 when production ceased.
Any K98 bayonet will fit a G33/40 rifle, but DOT did make bayonets as well. The bayonet is a czech bayonet modified by grinding off part of the crosspiece. The edge of the blade also points upwards when attached to the bayonet lug, rather than down. The blade is also slightly longer than the standard K98 bayonet. I have been told by bayonet collectors the DOT bayonets were not specifically issued with the 33/40's. They all came with a uniquely shaped 11 inch cleaning rod and slightly different sight hood.
Most of the un-serialed rifles have been observed to have 945 receiver codes with 1941 dates, though some were 945 40 and DOT 41 & DOT 42 marked. No G33/40s have been seen with later dates. No DOT coded 98Ks have been seen that are dated earlier than 1943, when production began at the same AG Brunn I plant.
"The Gewehr 33/40 was made exclusively by the former Ceskoslovenska Zbrojovka factory by Brno, which was operated as Waffenfabrik Brunn AG and allocated the code letter 'dot' in April, 1941. The OKW ordered 50,000 rifles in 1940, and the total acquisitions may have exceeded 150,000 before production at Brno seems to have been switched to the standard Karabiner 98k." This information was taken from THE GERMAN RIFLE: A COMPREHENSIVE ILLUSTRATED HISTORY OF THE STANDARD BOLT-ACTION DESIGNS, 1871-1945 by John Walter
"DOT 42" were manufactured by CZ, Brno, Czechoslovakia in 1942. The circle z is a Czech proof mark. The Nazi's captured the factory, adapted & changed the Czech VZ 33 into the G33/40, and reused Czech VZ33 parts on the 33/40.

Order of scarcity:
945 1941 Rarest
DOT 1942 Rare
945 1940 Scarce
DOT 1941 Most Common (if there is such a thing)

Last edited:
I've got an early no letter block 1941 that has the odd "small" letter dot marking with a one piece walnut stock. You are correct that the front sight hood is different and if anything unique. Cleaning rod is also different from what I have seen, hard to find and expensive. Here's a couple of pics to consider...

G

Attachments

• attachment-9.jpg
    attachment-9.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 247
  • attachment-8.jpg
    attachment-8.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 248
  • attachment-11.jpg
    attachment-11.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 237
  • G33_40_Hood_rod2.jpg
    G33_40_Hood_rod2.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 242
  • DSC_0243.jpg
    DSC_0243.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 270
  • attachment-10.jpg
    attachment-10.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 248
  • G33:40 Luft Picture.jpg
    G33:40 Luft Picture.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 260
While trying to educate myself on the G33/40 rifles I have come to some conclusions. I am hoping others can contribute to my knowledge of these before I take the plunge and purchase one. This is what I have learned so far. Feel free to add any information or comments to this thread. "Thank-you"
CaptMax

The G33/40's were used by the Gebirgsjagers and Fallschirmjagers. They were produced for three short years, from October 16th 1940 as the Gewehr 33/40 until December of 1942 when production ceased.
Any K98 bayonet will fit a G33/40 rifle, but DOT did make bayonets as well. The bayonet is a czech bayonet modified by grinding off part of the crosspiece. The edge of the blade also points upwards when attached to the bayonet lug, rather than down. The blade is also slightly longer than the standard K98 bayonet. I have been told by bayonet collectors the DOT bayonets were not specifically issued with the 33/40's. They all came with a uniquely shaped 11 inch cleaning rod and slightly different sight hood.
Most of the un-serialed rifles have been observed to have 945 receiver codes with 1941 dates, though some were 945 40 and DOT 41 & DOT 42 marked. No G33/40s have been seen with later dates. No DOT coded 98Ks have been seen that are dated earlier than 1943, when production began at the same AG Brunn I plant.
"The Gewehr 33/40 was made exclusively by the former Ceskoslovenska Zbrojovka factory by Brno, which was operated as Waffenfabrik Brunn AG and allocated the code letter 'dot' in April, 1941. The OKW ordered 50,000 rifles in 1940, and the total acquisitions may have exceeded 150,000 before production at Brno seems to have been switched to the standard Karabiner 98k." This information was taken from THE GERMAN RIFLE: A COMPREHENSIVE ILLUSTRATED HISTORY OF THE STANDARD BOLT-ACTION DESIGNS, 1871-1945 by John Walter
"DOT 42" were manufactured by CZ, Brno, Czechoslovakia in 1942. The circle z is a Czech proof mark. The Nazi's captured the factory, adapted & changed the Czech VZ 33 into the G33/40, and reused Czech VZ33 parts on the 33/40.

Order of scarcity:
945 1941 Rarest
DOT 1942 Rare
945 1940 Scarce
DOT 1941 Most Common (if there is such a thing)

From serial number observations the 945, 1940 is the most prolific variation with production through the end of the “d” block. Dot 1941 is the scarcest of the actual production pieces with the highest observed SN in the middle of the “C” block. Dot 1942’s are by far the most commonly encountered production variant in the United States for sure. The highest SN observation is in the middle of the “d” block. The unserialed examples are cool but I do not consider them part of regular production because they weren’t accepted into service as evidenced by the lack of a SN. Cool nonetheless.

From serial number observations the 945, 1940 is the most prolific variation with production through the end of the “d” block. Dot 1941 is the scarcest of the actual production pieces with the highest observed SN in the middle of the “C” block. Dot 1942’s are by far the most commonly encountered production variant in the United States for sure. The highest SN observation is in the middle of the “d” block. The unserialed examples are cool but I do not consider them part of regular production because they weren’t accepted into service as evidenced by the lack of a SN. Cool nonetheless.

Thank-you for that information. I have only been researching these for a few weeks and there really is not a lot of information out there. I agree the un-serialed are not a regular production item, but the one I found was too nice to pass up.
I will post a thread once I have good pictures and my matching bayonet arrives. I do appreciate all you input.
CaptMax

Don't know if this pic has ever been posted before. Since there were a few other pics of G33/40's on this thread, I figured I would add it.

G33.jpg

Military Rifle Journal
Back