Third Party Press
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "P" letter cartouche on grip of 98k wooden stocks...

Default "P" letter cartouche on grip of 98k wooden stocks...

I think this would be a great discusion and comment for this mysterious "P" letter cartouche on grip of 98k wooden stocks. So if you have a "P" letter cartouche on the grip of 98k wooden stock, post a pic and what type of rifle it is and year, if it is all matching, and if a armorer rebuild. At this time all we know is it is on only laminated stocks.
    "Man muss manchmal in den sauren Apfel beißen" "257th Berliner Bären-Division "

This is a good idea though I think it would need to be expanded if you want to form a database that might lead to answers.

Specifically, removal of the B/R and buttplate and examination of the wood (raw areas) for codes or any markings that may lead to a company. I will see if I can create a folder for this subject and work up some trends from my files.

I have what I think is a "P" armorer stock. P marked with no numbers in the barrel channel or on the butt . Has two very faint E/655's on the keel. Flat butt plate and drilled for a 12.5 inch cleaning rod. It has a Imperial recoil lug. The bayo lug is also Imperial and serial numbered 13.

Ski
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ski, Have you ever had the buttplate off or examined the barrel channel for any markings?

Butt end is blank and the barrel channel has no numbers or markings that I can see. The wood in the channel is almost white in color.

Ski

Thanks, that is how many seem to be and why I didn't think it was worth pursuing this project. I have seen some markings that appear to be codes under the buttplate or inside the channel, one a plywood manufacturer, though it seems to be unique and in "general" unique often means fraudulent.

Quote Originally Posted by Loewe View Post
    Thanks, that is how many seem to be and why I didn't think it was worth pursuing this project. I have seen some markings that appear to be codes under the buttplate or inside the channel, one a plywood manufacturer, though it seems to be unique and in "general" unique often means fraudulent.
    So, they are all flat butt plates? and maybe not numbered? So possibly armorer replacement stocks?
    "Man muss manchmal in den sauren Apfel beißen" "257th Berliner Bären-Division "

Early laminate stocks have the "P" markings on production guns as well. We examined a lot of period documents when we did volume 1 of the Karabiner 98k book and there was never any evidence found as to the meaning of the P marking.
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Senior Member Winchester Cowboy's Avatar

To p or not to p. Shakespeare!

Here's a "p" on mine, 1939 237, Vet bring back, all matching:

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....light=1939+237

I was speaking in general regarding all laminate stocks. In Richs case this has a "P" and that would be the laminate blank provider in my scenario, however some have neither and some have what appear to be codes or possible codes. The problem is far too few have been examined and I doubt there is enough of an appetite to get people to disassemble their rifles.

I will still try to gather what I can but I have several projects under way.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    So, they are all flat butt plates? and maybe not numbered? So possibly armorer replacement stocks?