Third Party Press

"P" letter cartouche on grip of 98k wooden stocks...

Thanks, yes it is useful, even if nothing is marked, - collectors often discount lack of markings as irrelevant, I do not agree, - the siderail and RR should always be photographed or recorded, then you would know and even blank tells you something (that it is probably made by the assembler)

I will try and incorporate this data in my research and hopefully in time we will develop some sort of pattern. Until then I will let you know if anything develops.

Paul,

I got the info on the OVX marked stock, and figured I would just check all my wood. Not sure if any of it is useful, but more is better then less.
So here it is.
Bcd4 34868 1st no letter
Channel
V or 7
E/18
Under butt plate
7 37
OVX
Keel
C
Sling cut out
None

Dou43 6482hh
Channel
6482hh
Under buttplate
BLANK
Sling cutout
B

Bnz45 3296T
Channel

e/623
Under buttplate
Blank
Sling cutout

Dou44 3519e
Channel

3519e SH
Under buttplate
Blank
Sling cutout
B

Portuguese Contract 7419 h
Channel

Under butt
P
Sling cutout
Bolt side -

2 2 w hh(in script)
Sling cutout sling side

Byf42 2524ii
Channel

Under butt
Blank
Sling cutout on bolt side
Cursive n, 2, H

byf43 41847k
Channel
Under Butt
Blank
Sling cutouts
Blank

I'll also add my limited data here in case it is of any value.
byf 42 2340 k marked Bo 5 19 42
gjyw.JPG

byf 43 7954 f marked Ra 2 30 43 walnut
6x1.JPG

Armorer's spare stock WaA18, "c", flat butt plate
marked Br 4 41 40

Better add in the blank ones as well!
byf 44 39785 b no markings white glue
byf 44 15003 h no markings red glue
byf 44 57845 k no markings white glue
byf 45 8254 no markings red glue
svw45 4341 b no markings red glue
Port H7778 no markings walnut
byf 41 6827 v Z under flat butt plate walnut
dot 1944 6492 ap illegible pencil white glue

Last edited:
Jeremy, sorry I forgot your post, I recorded the information and it is greatly appreciated!

The Ra is a new one, it seems some of these must be representative of other firms, while some could be abbreviations for the same laminate supplier, as is the case with raw forgings, it is unlikely Ra is related to the others with a "B", - though the German wood industry is quite large, as is the furniture makers, - this will be a challenging task I think.

The blank ones are a problem too, not sure why some, probably most, are not marked, possibly part of the rationalization efforts, removing unnecessary markings or steps, the meager examples so far suggest this practice ending by late 1943 or early 1944, the ovx stocks being an exception but that might have to do with a sub-contractor using another sub-contractor? Hard to say, will have to read more on the cure time for laminate stocks too... lots of variables but maybe we can do some speculating in time, if we get enough data.

Bump

Jeremy, sorry I forgot your post, I recorded the information and it is greatly appreciated!

The Ra is a new one, it seems some of these must be representative of other firms, while some could be abbreviations for the same laminate supplier, as is the case with raw forgings, it is unlikely Ra is related to the others with a "B", - though the German wood industry is quite large, as is the furniture makers, - this will be a challenging task I think.

The blank ones are a problem too, not sure why some, probably most, are not marked, possibly part of the rationalization efforts, removing unnecessary markings or steps, the meager examples so far suggest this practice ending by late 1943 or early 1944, the ovx stocks being an exception but that might have to do with a sub-contractor using another sub-contractor? Hard to say, will have to read more on the cure time for laminate stocks too... lots of variables but maybe we can do some speculating in time, if we get enough data.
Any new info on the P marks? This is what I found on mine years ago, appears to be a ''P'' on the upper left of the Stock. At a closer look it could be a ''T'' With a dent making it look like a P...? but my initial thought was it's a P. Has a cursive 'L' and smaller print F in the sling cutout. Also (Sidenote I've never found what the mark on the rear of the sightleaf is?). It's an Early Luftwaffe issue 1937 prototype. Stock and Receiver number match. Nothing under Buttplate. Only really Bolt Mismatch. The P wouldn't be Polizei at all :/ ? If you have time take a look at all the markings and tell me what you think. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgLhRN9rft0 When I originally posted pics on here I received very few replies. But I did discover I had a rare example. Cheers.

Attachments

• DSC02604.jpg
    DSC02604.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC02632.jpg
    DSC02632.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 39
  • k98 sight leaf.jpg
    k98 sight leaf.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC02555.jpg
    DSC02555.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 28
Any new info on the P marks? This is what I found on mine years ago, appears to be a ''P'' on the upper left of the Stock. At a closer look it could be a ''T'' With a dent making it look like a P...? but my initial thought was it's a P. Has a cursive 'L' and smaller print F in the sling cutout. Also (Sidenote I've never found what the mark on the rear of the sightleaf is?). It's an Early Luftwaffe issue 1937 prototype. Stock and Receiver number match. Nothing under Buttplate. Only really Bolt Mismatch. The P wouldn't be Polizei at all :/ ? If you have time take a look at all the markings and tell me what you think. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgLhRN9rft0 When I originally posted pics on here I received very few replies. But I did discover I had a rare example. Cheers.
I Also found a smaller ''P'' below the lower band on mine. So it has a large one between each band and a smaller one below. :/

Attachments

• DSC06615.jpg
    DSC06615.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC06616.jpg
    DSC06616.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 20
I Also found a smaller ''P'' below the lower band on mine. So it has a large one between each band and a smaller one below. :/

First off, I'm not sure those are "P" markings, at least not from manufacture. The only P marking I've seen on stocks that has to do with manufacture is the one on the keel. It's meaning is still unknown, but clearly stamped on early laminate stocks.

First off, I'm not sure those are "P" markings, at least not from manufacture. The only P marking I've seen on stocks that has to do with manufacture is the one on the keel. It's meaning is still unknown, but clearly stamped on early laminate stocks.

Yeah they're both different fonts and near the Barrel bands? :/ . But it is on a 1937 w matching Lam stock. It's my crazy Luftwaffe Prototype stamped one I posted a few yrs back that threw all u guys a bit. I put some wood oil all over it if you remember. lol. Was shiny as the sun. The oils fading now and stamps are coming back a bit clearer. I'm wondering if this was Polizei at one point. Or early example of the P that you guys are talking about. Mine has a K a Skull and waffenamt near the pistolgrip so no room for a P around there. I made a new thread about the double S Script stamp under the receiver, if you care to check it out. Newer camera's are great for revealing better detail and I've been using a jewelers magnifier to look at it better.

Oh and they are Def two 'P's. The pics aren't the best. And under my buttplate was gross took me forever to get it off and all that there was, was a bunch of mud blood and sweat that wreaks. I put the mud in a container just for posterity. The buttplate had so much mud under it, it never went back on properly I was spewing.

Last edited:
This is a pretty old chat but I just took the cupped butt plate off a 1936 S/42 (obviously a replacement or depot work) and there was OVX and 3 24…which idly are 3 of the 4 serial numbers for the gun (4235) but in reverse order. Hope this help with any lingering OVX questions or data. Or maybe some info on what I’ve got…trying to figure out if it’s a depot gun or just a bubba special

This is a pretty old chat but I just took the cupped butt plate off a 1936 S/42 (obviously a replacement or depot work) and there was OVX and 3 24…which idly are 3 of the 4 serial numbers for the gun (4235) but in reverse order. Hope this help with any lingering OVX questions or data. Or maybe some info on what I’ve got…trying to figure out if it’s a depot gun or just a bubba special
I'd say that would be for the third day of the 24th week of the year?? was the date the stock was made.

Early laminate stocks have the "P" markings on production guns as well. We examined a lot of period documents when we did volume 1 of the Karabiner 98k book and there was never any evidence found as to the meaning of the P marking.
So, I have to assume the same for an "L" stamping?

Military Rifle Journal
Back