Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Vz 24

Default Interesting Vz 24

Matching, original, about close to unissued condition with just the storage grease removed from the exterior, still in the cracks. There is something interesting about it though that connects it with German use.
    Attached Images Attached Images

More Vz 24 pics:

Last Vz 24 pics

Ahhh. Quite clever. German used--huh? And then the last photo. Very nice.
    WTB/WTT: (1)late E/H marked bcd stock either standard or semi-Kriegs; (2)unnumbered late MO Zf-41 stock, Kriegs or standard stock; (3)transitional late unnumbered type dot stock which uses bandspring and has bayo mount but no cleaning rod hole; (4)unnumbered byf standard stock as typically found on some byf 44 K and L block rifles; (5)unnumbered E/H bnz standard stock as typically found on bnz.4 and bnz 44 N, O, and P block rifles; (6)any bnz Kriegsmodell stock either with E/H or without

Man, that's about as nice as they get, and RFV marked buttplate as well. Such a deal!
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Very nice Craig! It appears the stock has been cleaned just a bit almost removing all of the original two digit number on the handgaurd. Great metal! I had a 31 date that was quite close to yours (without the butt plate markings) but it was only about a 75% gun.JH
    Last edited by haak48; 08-15-2010 at 05:53 PM. Reason: SP Chk

The RFV wasn't even in the description and I had no idea until I got it and looked at the buttplate.

Haak, I've seen Vz.24s with and without the two digit outside stamp on the handguard. "Back story" on the rifle was that it was bought from the estate of a gunsmith in the 1970s who never sporterized it due to the nice condition. It shows signs of having thick grease covering it which was removed. I would imagine this dried grease was removed, perhaps with even some fine steel wool. There is no evidence of sanding, but evidence of dried grease and coating on the wood that was not removed, so it could not have been a heavy wood cleaning. I don't see enough wood cleaning in hand to have removed that two digit stamp if it was there, and if the wood was cleaned it was done long ago.

Default Need to look better

This teaches me the lesson that I need to look more closely at buttplates... I probably have several "butts" in my collection that I haven't even looked at...

Looking at the area around the bolt/action stock and the depth of the cross-lugs I don't think it has been sanded. Even the dings in the stock have rough irregular edges.

A stunner in my eyes.

JH is right that the stock has been cleaned, IMHO. There was packing grease on it, or a preservative, very old, dried, and thick. That was removed, though not to the extent that the discs or recoil lug area or buttplate were cleaned, which still have that caked in them. Again, no evidence of two digit ever being on the handguard as some have, and some don't.
    Last edited by Hambone; 08-15-2010 at 11:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    JH is right that the stock has been cleaned, IMHO. There was packing grease on it, or a preservative, very old, dried, and thick. That was removed, though not to the extent that the discs or recoil lug area or buttplate were cleaned, which still have that caked in them. Again, no evidence of two digit ever being on the handguard as some have, and some don't.
    Great rifle. Hard to find matching vz24's like that! I would guess that by 31 the side, 2 digit numbering by the Czech's would have been dropped. You see the Czech numbering in this area on the vz23's and the early vz24's.