Third Party Press

Cracked G43 bolt housing cover still serviceable to shoot?

KneverKnew

I have this spare bolt housing that is in good shape in all respects EXCEPT for a fine crack on the right front side. Since I like to shoot my G43, and since this bolt housing LOOKS BETTER than my currently installed housing, I was wondering if the crack is minimal enough to allow it to me used for live fire? Does this particular spot on the housing receive significantly high stress levels to make it an concern?
704F8434-ABB2-4A2F-B1AE-5D7881722CEA.jpg
9545D191-E246-4011-BAD7-9D9785F61DDD.jpg
077F76D2-7FDA-4D78-A4A8-4FF34E39FCD1.jpg

I think I’d either talk to Rob Apfeltor or someone like Jared Lewman (works on MG34s , MG42s, etc....resurrecting them (tig welder) from cut up parts kits (legally of course)).
6eca4168fb95c09e6dbab98bd1a3acdf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
That's not in a high-stress area per se, but I would still try to find a good TIG welder to close that up before it gets worse. As you probably know, that's an expensive part.

That's not in a high-stress area per se, but I would still try to find a good TIG welder to close that up before it gets worse. As you probably know, that's an expensive part.

Yes I know it’s expensive. So does not being in a high stress area, per se, mean that it should be okay to shoot occasionally?

To be clear, I have another bolt cover that I usually use for shooting but it’s a little beat up looking compared to this one. Also the back end of my shooter cover has the typical split in the bottom hole. The “new” one, despite the small crack, has a nice looking back end. So I’d like to use it if that small crack isn’t going to be an issue for now.

I wouldn't use the one that has the fracture that you showed. Obviously there is plenty of stress in that area, otherwise it wouldn't have cracked in the first place.

Yes I know it’s expensive. So does not being in a high stress area, per se, mean that it should be okay to shoot occasionally?

To be clear, I have another bolt cover that I usually use for shooting but it’s a little beat up looking compared to this one. Also the back end of my shooter cover has the typical split in the bottom hole. The “new” one, despite the small crack, has a nice looking back end. So I’d like to use it if that small crack isn’t going to be an issue for now.

I don't know what to tell you. I would look into getting it fixed before shooting it at all, if it was mine. It's a G43, I wouldn't leave something like that to chance....it might fail with the next shot...or 1000 rounds from now.

Given that the entire front section points upward, what are the chances that some doofus tried to remove the bolt assembly not with the bolt retracted and locked, but with the bolt still in battery and the bolt carrier up against the receiver bridge?
Now it only wants to lift up half way in the back, not enough to be able to remove it. Let's help it a little bit, where's the flat head screw driver? Ah, it's moving already, not quite enough, let's pry a little harder, a little more, SNAP!. Bingo, it finally broke loose. Damn Germans, everything is way too tight, glad I got it finally out!

OMG, what is this crack, where the (I have a small penis) is it coming from? Ah, I remember, over gassed, slave labor sabotage and sloppy late war metallurgy. I knew it wasn't my fault!

I wouldn't use it. When it goes Ka-Boom you don't want to be learning Braille from your mistake...

I have this spare bolt housing that is in good shape in all respects EXCEPT for a fine crack on the right front side. Since I like to shoot my G43, and since this bolt housing LOOKS BETTER than my currently installed housing, I was wondering if the crack is minimal enough to allow it to me used for live fire? Does this particular spot on the housing receive significantly high stress levels to make it an concern?
View attachment 233081
View attachment 233082
View attachment 233083

I’ll continue to use the one I know works. I’m sure I’ll get the crack fixed on day. Or sell it. So what a bolt cover worth these days with a tiny crack like that?

My two cents is I would not be stressed about it but always feel free to consult a gun smith or Apfeltor.

My reasoning is its a stamped action cover...its simply a cover. Any stress and impact is on the rear of the cover where damage and wear occurs (Apfeltor repair). As long as the rest of the rifle/bolt are in good order there should be no stress to the sides and top of the cover. I suspect the crack may not even be a crack but a stamping flaw. Dust cover's are often cracked from poor removal and sit on the same cover and people still shoot the rifle, why? Because there isn't any stress on that area. Heck, you can even remove the dust cover and have a gapping hole in the action cover and you don't have any catastrophic failures!!!!!

If it was a crack bolt, receiver, bolt carrier, locking flaps, rear of the action cover...sure be worried. Use some common sense people, that part is simply a cover to protect moving parts.

My two cents is I would not be stressed about it but always feel free to consult a gun smith or Apfeltor.

My reasoning is its a stamped action cover...its simply a cover. Any stress and impact is on the rear of the cover where damage and wear occurs (Apfeltor repair). As long as the rest of the rifle/bolt are in good order there should be no stress to the sides and top of the cover. I suspect the crack may not even be a crack but a stamping flaw. Dust cover's are often cracked from poor removal and sit on the same cover and people still shoot the rifle, why? Because there isn't any stress on that area. Heck, you can even remove the dust cover and have a gapping hole in the action cover and you don't have any catastrophic failures!!!!!

If it was a crack bolt, receiver, bolt carrier, locking flaps, rear of the action cover...sure be worried. Use some common sense people, that part is simply a cover to protect moving parts.

I appreciate your time to explain. It is a crack cause I can see a pin hole of light shining through from my bright flashlight. I will study the situation more and proceed with caution. I appreciate all the opinions and suggestions you guys have provided.

Given that the entire front section points upward, what are the chances that some doofus tried to remove the bolt assembly not with the bolt retracted and locked, but with the bolt still in battery and the bolt carrier up against the receiver bridge?
Now it only wants to lift up half way in the back, not enough to be able to remove it. Let's help it a little bit, where's the flat head screw driver? Ah, it's moving already, not quite enough, let's pry a little harder, a little more, SNAP!. Bingo, it finally broke loose. Damn Germans, everything is way too tight, glad I got it finally out!

OMG, what is this crack, where the (I have a small penis) is it coming from? Ah, I remember, over gassed, slave labor sabotage and sloppy late war metallurgy. I knew it wasn't my fault!

I always asked them to place button here some where,

j9rj0uit.png

Repair question

Anybody have Mr Applegate's e mail? I tried to contact him thru web site but its not working.

Trying to see if this can be repaired and made safe

Attachments

• pix190663394.jpg
    pix190663394.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 39

Military Rifle Journal
Back