Third Party Press

Inherited Mauser-Werke Patrone .22 identification help and advice please

Leon1260

Hello all,

I would really appreciate and thoughts/opinions/advice on this gun that was recently inherited by a friend. I understand it to be a Mauser-Werke A. G. Oberndorf A. N. Patrone .22 Long Rifle.

My understanding is that there were multiple variations and models (ES350B, for example) and I am curious to learn more. I am also interested to know more about the engraved plate, and how that is helps tell the story of the gun. Additionally, if anyone has a guess of valuation, that would interesting as well. The context of this inquiry is to learn more and then eventually (likely) find a good home for this gun so that it does not sit in a closet for any longer.

I apologize in advance for the photos, better photos can be obtained. Thank you for your perspectives.

IMG_9345.jpgIMG_9346.jpgIMG_9347.jpgIMG_9349.jpgIMG_9350.jpgIMG_9351.jpgIMG_9352.jpgIMG_9353.jpgIMG_9354.jpgIMG_9355.jpgIMG_9356.jpgIMG_9357.jpg

Hello Again Leon: Looks like you are having all the fun! This is a Mauser Es350B evidently used at a University. I will send a translation and some background information shortly. Es350B rifles are very nice. You see some crazy prices on them but they don't usually move at the upper range ($2,000+). For an example, I have purchased 3 in the last couple of years and paid as little as $499 and as much as $1400. The more expensive gun is in super condition. This one is interesting. The pros are the SA metal plaque attached to the stock and the quality build of the ES350B. The cons are the gun has some rust issues (especially seen toward the barrel). Looks like it needs a good cleaning like the Walther. Once again, depends how it cleans up, if everything matches and if the bore is good. Price maybe $1200 to $1400 depending on final condition. Some may argue for a higher valuation because of the stock plaque. A rifle I would certainly like to own myself. Best. dj

Here's a stab at the information on the plaque.

Competitions 1937
S.A. Brigade Franken (Franconia in Bavaria)
made for the University of Erlangen (which I think is in Nuremberg which is in Franconia).

The SA (Sturmabteilung), also called Storm Troopers or Brown Shirts, were a paramilitary organization who helped Adolf Hitler's rise to power. Sort of a bunch of headknockers or hoodlums who were willing to do most anything to help Hitler come to power. Originally headed by Ernst Rohm if I remember correctly.

Best

dj

Hello all,

I would really appreciate and thoughts/opinions/advice on this gun that was recently inherited by a friend. I understand it to be a Mauser-Werke A. G. Oberndorf A. N. Patrone .22 Long Rifle.

My understanding is that there were multiple variations and models (ES350B, for example) and I am curious to learn more. I am also interested to know more about the engraved plate, and how that is helps tell the story of the gun. Additionally, if anyone has a guess of valuation, that would interesting as well. The context of this inquiry is to learn more and then eventually (likely) find a good home for this gun so that it does not sit in a closet for any longer.

I apologize in advance for the photos, better photos can be obtained. Thank you for your perspectives.

View attachment 184296View attachment 184297View attachment 184298View attachment 184299View attachment 184300View attachment 184301View attachment 184302View attachment 184303View attachment 184304View attachment 184305View attachment 184306View attachment 184307

0tR6xhkl.jpg

AmMtpTzl.jpg

bh8mExql.jpg

ZGCVdNul.jpg

Have a look on my Book
Bruno

Here's a stab at the information on the plaque.

Competitions 1937
S.A. Brigade Franken (Franconia in Bavaria)
made for the University of Erlangen (which I think is in Nuremberg which is in Franconia).

The SA (Sturmabteilung), also called Storm Troopers or Brown Shirts, were a paramilitary organization who helped Adolf Hitler's rise to power. Sort of a bunch of headknockers or hoodlums who were willing to do most anything to help Hitler come to power. Originally headed by Ernst Rohm if I remember correctly.

Best

dj

The SA were in charge of the nation-wide program for marksmanship training, and held local, regional, and national competitions (Wettkämpfe) to this end. The rifle was not made for, but purchased and donated by, the University of Erlangen as a prize in this particular competition (gestiftet von der = given by the). Most collectors consider these award rifles with such a plaque adding to its provenance a considerable plus, and their value is thus increased quite a bit. Hope this helps.
Steve

Great information - thank you everyone. My next step in the process is to hopefully work through the ownership story behind the gun, especially as it relates to the information contained on the plaque. Hopefully this will reveal further interesting insights about the piece.

Good to see this posted. As I mentioned in your other thread. These come in many levels of quality. This is a higher grade rifle due to the better stock. There were also levels above.

Rifle looks complete less the front site insert ? possible missing ?

Every thing said so far is spot on and the S/A plaque on the stock brings it to a different level as far as value and collectability.

Very few of these have added plaques. Most of these day events a rifle was purchased and was given as a trophy for the winning participant. I have no doubt this is the case here.

Tracking this S/a unit may turn up info on this event. Sometimes tinnies were made if the event was large enough.

I'm sure this rifle with the rest was brought home by a service member..

Good to see this posted. As I mentioned in your other thread. These come in many levels of quality. This is a higher grade rifle due to the better stock. There were also levels above.

Rifle looks complete less the front site insert ? possible missing ?

Every thing said so far is spot on and the S/A plaque on the stock brings it to a different level as far as value and collectability.

Very few of these have added plaques. Most of these day events a rifle was purchased and was given as a trophy for the winning participant. I have no doubt this is the case here.

Tracking this S/a unit may turn up info on this event. Sometimes tinnies were made if the event was large enough.

I'm sure this rifle with the rest was brought home by a service member..

I just wrote the archives department at the university. Worth a try. Do you have any advice/resources on researching specific S/a units? Is there a website or online database?

probably a lost cause..... LOL not many in Germany want to admit the Nazi's went to school there. Its a different situation over there.
Google will be more help. There are/were some great researchers here. One has passed away so That's a great loss.

Google is your best bet. Search dates and S/A group. Lots of times Tinnies were made to commemorate these activities as well..

The University is very unlikely to have any record of having made that donation. With some research (and a bit of luck) however, you might even find out who the winner was. Find the date and location of this particular SA group's Wettkampf of that year, and a local newspaper may have reported on it and listed the winners in the paper. Many of the papers have archives and some are available on the internet. A local SA publication might even list all those who donated prizes.
Steve

Military Rifle Journal
Back