Third Party Press

J.P. Sauer K98k Serials and Data, 1934-1944

Barrel markings

I have a s/147 1937 MOD 98 the under side of the barrel has a old style german G over 402D stamped. can
can anyone tell me what that tells be about the barrel?

I might as well post here my Sauer

I have a CE (Block letters) 44
SN: 995 O series
Mod 98 (gothic script)
All matching except for the bolt which is a total mix.
Repro cleaning rod, sight hood and sling.
Stamped bands, milled band spring.
Milled dtigger housing and floorplate.
Russian Capture (or other eastern European nation) Most Waffenamts and eagles obliterated. Waffenamts in tact on sight. WA280.
No finish left.
Shoots like a dream!

Attachments

• Mauser Kar98k Sauer CE 44.jpg
    Mauser Kar98k Sauer CE 44.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 280
I might as well post here my Sauer

I have a CE (Block letters) 44
SN: 995 O series
Mod 98 (gothic script)
All matching except for the bolt which is a total mix.
Repro cleaning rod, sight hood and sling.
Stamped bands, milled band spring.
Milled dtigger housing and floorplate.
Russian Capture (or other eastern European nation) Most Waffenamts and eagles obliterated. Waffenamts in tact on sight. WA280.
No finish left.
Shoots like a dream!

Doug Strong:

Welcome to the forum. Looks like it might be one of the so called "Romanian Capture" rifles that are typically mostly matching, save bolt, and pinged. Thanks for posting.

Doug Strong:

Welcome to the forum. Looks like it might be one of the so called "Romanian Capture" rifles that are typically mostly matching, save bolt, and pinged. Thanks for posting.

I was wondering about that. My others are Rusian captures and they don't look like this one.

I'm glad to have found the forum. I found it based on a note in my Kreigsmodell book. I really like it. I don't have any pristine or beautiful or valuable rifles but I have quite a few (about 20) rifles from Germany. Most are late 19th century or WWII period.

Welcome to the forum Doug, and thanks for posting your CE44! I have one very close in serial.

Welcome to the forum Doug, and thanks for posting your CE44! I have one very close in serial.

After reading BOTW I noticed they have one that is only a few hundred earlier in the same steries. Although it is earlier it has a stamped (and therefore later style) trigger guard. Mine is milled. What does your have? Is it earlier or later in the series?

Doug, mine is # 570 o and it has a stamped byf triggerguard.

Attachments

• DSC_0009.JPG
    DSC_0009.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 280
  • DSC_0010.JPG
    DSC_0010.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 228
mine, 2189 "o", same combo as Farb's.

Attachments

• CE_44_o_2189_01.jpg
    CE_44_o_2189_01.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 217
  • CE_44_o_2189_05.jpg
    CE_44_o_2189_05.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 161
I stripped mine down last night and found that the trigger guard does not have any waffenamts or serial number on it.

Is it a replacement?

The finish matches perfectly but there is no number. If it is wrong I could swap it out for a stamped wa135 trigger guard I have sitting here.

I stripped mine down last night and found that the trigger guard does not have any waffenamts or serial number on it.

Is it a replacement?

The finish matches perfectly but there is no number. If it is wrong I could swap it out for a stamped wa135 trigger guard I have sitting here.

Hard to say- if the guard is WW2 looking, I would leave it.

It devinately looks like a WWII period piece and looks just like the ones that Sauer was using before switching to the stamped guards. It has been with the rifle for years and it matches in finish exactly. I'll leave it alone.

Any idea what month the o block was being made?

Do you have a data sheet format such as the one in the Kriegsmodell book that you use in excel or pdf format?

CE 41 Questions

Hi all,

Im a new member, that joined after seeing your thread on J.P. Sauer.

I have a CE 41 with 100% matching numbers (SN 4170) it also includes the Luftwaffe stamp on the reciever and barrel. My concern is with the luster of most of the metal bands / trigger guard / butt plate, they almost appear to be nickel, although it is not new, and looks 60 yrs old.

My first thought was it may have been dressed up for a VFW parade or something. However, after seeing some of the pictures posted in this thread, I see that others have this shinny finish as well.
Was this common to the era and/or J.P. Sauer? I have not seen it on any other Mauser, but have never seen any other Pre or Early war 147/CE.

Thanks for any thoughts.

It devinately looks like a WWII period piece and looks just like the ones that Sauer was using before switching to the stamped guards. It has been with the rifle for years and it matches in finish exactly. I'll leave it alone.

Any idea what month the o block was being made?

Do you have a data sheet format such as the one in the Kriegsmodell book that you use in excel or pdf format?

We used a template for those data sheets, but are working on a different one for the next book.

Hi all,

Im a new member, that joined after seeing your thread on J.P. Sauer.

I have a CE 41 with 100% matching numbers (SN 4170) it also includes the Luftwaffe stamp on the reciever and barrel. My concern is with the luster of most of the metal bands / trigger guard / butt plate, they almost appear to be nickel, although it is not new, and looks 60 yrs old.

My first thought was it may have been dressed up for a VFW parade or something. However, after seeing some of the pictures posted in this thread, I see that others have this shinny finish as well.
Was this common to the era and/or J.P. Sauer? I have not seen it on any other Mauser, but have never seen any other Pre or Early war 147/CE.

Thanks for any thoughts.

It's hard to say without seeing photos of the rifle. Can you post some?

Here are some photos

Attachments

• DSC03159.jpg
    DSC03159.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 316
  • DSC03170.jpg
    DSC03170.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 263
  • DSC03183.jpg
    DSC03183.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 243
a few more.

Sorry, I am a much better shot with a rifle than a camera.
After closer inspection, it may be that the parts were polished sometime in the past. As you will see, the shine does not go all the way through the trigger guard or the sling clamp.

I am not very educated on the mauser, but have never seen anything like this before.

Attachments

• DSC03175.jpg
    DSC03175.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 179
  • DSC03187.jpg
    DSC03187.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 179
  • DSC03171.jpg
    DSC03171.jpg
    313.5 KB · Views: 146
I just brought home a Type III, S/147/G. Serial number 360 'd'. The barrel and receiver match, the rest is typical RC mismatch. The Weimar eagles and other stampings are crisp and easy to make out. Unfortunately, so is the RC 'x' on the top of the receiver.
It came in a well used, cupped buttplate laminate stock with a bolt through the wrist. As soon as I have her all cleaned up, I'll be putting her in a walnut stock I bought from Mario.

2 more for the list!

147 1939 # 8299n All matching, including set screws except the bolt is an unnumbered Mauser replacement bolt.

ce 42 (slanted) #2407c All matching except the sliding piece on the rear sight.

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back