Third Party Press

1938 MG 34 X North Africa Matching

a j s

I have been able to photograph this MG from Mr Hunters collection in Christchurch New Zealand
This is the same collection that I photographed the K98 337 1939 a while back.
This MG 34 was returned to NZ from N Africa by a returning officer during the WW2 along with a MG 42 dated 1942
Plenty of Waffenamts on this one.
AlisterMG 34 D hunters 002.jpgMG 34 D hunters 066.jpgMG 34 D hunters 064.jpgMG 34 D hunters 009.jpgMG 34 D hunters 033.jpgMG 34 D hunters 035.jpgMG 34 D hunters 057.jpgMG 34 D hunters 057.jpgMG 34 D hunters 022.jpgMG 34 D hunters 029.jpgMG 34 D hunters 023.jpg

Last edited:
wow, very nice...and an early one!

Everybody should own at least one of these! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you for sharing this with us.

Thanks for sharing it !!!!, espectacular !!!!!!!!!!!!!:hail:
Thanks ,we are able to own live Machine guns in New Zealand,and are still able to import them from around the world,if we have the correct licence.
Alister.

Great MG34!! I have a BSW coded, 1937 dated MG34 (no letter block) and it too has the metal tipped stock and machined top cover! :happy0180:

That's beautiful Alister! Pic stickied for reference. Thanks for posting it.

That's the nicest most unmessed with original MG.34 I think I've ever seen. Exquisite.

Last edited:
I agree, it is an extraordinary machine, far more than a firearm, it is almost a work of art, - which is only truly appreciated in its original state, I have never seen one this original, or seemingly so… I have never seen anything to compare it too.

It is also extraordinary that New Zealand hasn’t demanded its destruction or de-militarization, I have always liked New Zealand.

That's beautiful Alister! Pic stickied for reference. Thanks for posting it.

That's the nicest most unmessed with original MG.34 I think I've ever seen. Exquisite.

I agree, it is an extraordinary machine, far more than a firearm, it is almost a work of art, - which is only truly appreciated in its original state, I have never seen one this original, or seemingly so… I have never seen anything to compare it too.

This. IMHO, probably one of the most desirable firearms, for me, posted at this site. I've seen a number of them here but most are ragged, or with replaced parts and such. If it was mine it would be like a piece of art, displayed behind glass or something.

reviving this old post: do you by chance have pictures of the index mark area of the shroud where they would index mark and stamp waA on shroud top near the joint in the front and rear section of the shroud? Im curious if they replaced the shroud from a 4 hole to a 3 or if this was already a 3 hole in 38. The 36-37 guns were 4 hole but not sure when they quit using the 4 hole shroud fronts. Also curious to see the AA sight mount markings on this one. There should be a numbers on the side facing you inside the cicular indentation of the AA sight and i think should? match the serial of the gun. if the top cover pin marked on one end of the pin with waa39? do both grip rivets have eagle 39? what about the grip screws that go through the bakelite grips?

Wow it is certainly beautiful and amazingly well marked. Also love the '41 Silesiastahl blank finished by Steyr. Thanks for sharing this!

Military Rifle Journal
Back