Third Party Press

L code 98

MAUSERGUY

Talked to a guy the other day who asked if I knew what an L code Mauser was, that whatever book he was looking in listed the value quite a bit more than a standard 98. did some searching and came up with zero information. Only thing I found was a 98 L code made for the Luftwaffe, still no real definition. The photos with the article didn't show an L anywhere on the rifle, only a C with the serial number. does that code ring any bells with anybody?

The "L" would be on the right side of the stock just below the take down disc and eagle proof. If that is what he is referring to?

L code

well,that's part of the puzzle. I talked to him for about ten minutes and never quite figured out just what he was talking about. he described the L as being part of, or stamped close to, the serial number. He was a little vague about it, just that the L was supposed to make it more valuable. I've always thought the alpha character with the number was assigned to a particular block of rifles manufactured under contract, but I'm a little iffy about that. I see the guy every now and then, I'll quiz him a bit more next time. Thanks for your help.

You know how everything is a “K98” maybe this is some kind of SA contract rifle and there is a mix up?

Speaking of “K98” I got a call on one recently, here’s what turned up out of that closet :biggrin1:

Attachments

• A61ACE82-73A6-496E-A48D-3EBBF75CC863.jpg
    A61ACE82-73A6-496E-A48D-3EBBF75CC863.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 63
Good to know who my competition is. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Military Rifle Journal
Back