Third Party Press

Contract? Carcano

mrfarb

No War Eagles For You!
Staff member
Not really a contract rifle, but a Carcano. I'm posting these photos to show the sling arrangement. It wasn't on this gun, but I saw this arrangement on another Carcano rifle so I put this one on to illustrate what I saw. Has anyone seen a Carcano with a 98k sling on it other than me? Is this something a collector might have done? Period use?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• side.jpg
    side.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 383
  • sling1.jpg
    sling1.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 384
  • sling.jpg
    sling.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 384
  • fna.jpg
    fna.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 370
  • proof.jpg
    proof.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 360
Last edited:
Yes, I bought a Calvary Carcano 8yrs ago just for the sling. Its a late war sling with two stitch rows instead of three. The rifle is 7.35 and not SA marked for the Finish army with a fixed sight, besides that its the same rifle as yours. I still have the rifle and sling, if you want I can post pic's in a week or two?

Safe Tour

Safe Travels

I wouldn’t know if its period or not. But, I will say this, it looks pretty good!

Disclaimer: I know this post was useless but that’s the nicest carcano I’ve ever seen. Has to be the sling!

For whats its worth, the dealer I bought the rifle from said he bought it from a Vet Sherman Tanker who served in Italy, with the sling set up as is.

Safe Travels

Safe Tour

Yeah Fuzzy, post some pics.

Thanks 337- I think it looks nice because of the sling too. :)

Volksturm

Given how many of these were issued to the "home guard" I am surprised we don't see more with a 98k type sling.

One of the common Italian slings used on these was a leather button stud arrangement just like an MP40 sling. Which brings me to my point that this type of use of a K98k sling is not surprising considering that they were rigged the same way on MP40s, as shown by many period pics.

Pisgah, that's pretty significant Carcano prejudice. The sling is worth about half the rifle ;)

Once you own one of these with an unsanded stock, the appreciation level rises substantially. With sanded wood, I wouldn't pay a thing for one, but when they have nice wood....wait.....

Once you own one of these with an unsanded stock, the appreciation level rises substantially. With sanded wood, I wouldn't pay a thing for one, but when they have nice wood....wait.....

I agree Farb,

Mine is about the same as yours. You can see the factory sanding marks in the wood.
Not sure why someone implied that my Hza mark is fake.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2050.JPG
    IMG_2050.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_2052.JPG
    IMG_2052.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_2053.JPG
    IMG_2053.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_2054.JPG
    IMG_2054.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_2056.JPG
    IMG_2056.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_2064.JPG
    IMG_2064.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_2062.jpg
    IMG_2062.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2060.JPG
    IMG_2060.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 176
TA, that's a great little carbine and the HzA looks right as it can be to me, in appearance and application on the wood.

Nice Carcano Archie. There are 2 different Hza markings that are correct, and your is one of the good ones. Hza Jnt is Ingolstadt, Austria. Mine is the other type with what I call the "Turkey" eagle. Some people think they aren't real, but it is indeed a real type. On mine you can't read the Hza and I can't recall off the top of my head what it is - I think it's Magdeburg.

Carcano

Even though I never collected them, the Nazi Carcanos have always been cool to me.
Neat gun TA.

I've had two or three with that sling arangement

I've gotten several Carcanos from vets who picked them up in Baveria with German slings. One guy brought home three of the little carbines. Fit so nicely in his duffel bag. Doug

I have 9 Carcanos of one type or another all showing physical evidence (markings) of German use; this includes 3 of the Krieghoff 7,9x57 conversions. Four showed up with German slings in varying states and I have seen a number without physical evidence of German use with such slings (or fragments of slings) on them. Don't underestimate them; the Krieghoff jobs are German pressure-proofed.
It would be interesting to test a 7,9x57 one to destruction to see what it would take but given the scarcity and prices of the Krieghoffs I wouldn't sacrifice one of those.

Italians made 20K in '41

Two makers made 10K each in 1941. They called them the Russia Model. One all TSs and one 5K TSs and 5K folding bayonet carbines. I would just love to even just see a real clip. I have a couple bring backs. After the war they converted a pile of 6.5s to 8mm for Israel and then Egypt. Check the barrel OD. Bayonets will not go on the first ones. Doug

Military Rifle Journal
Back