Third Party Press

Video showing GI with captured 98-40's

mrfarb

No War Eagles For You!
Staff member
I was watching the History channel the other day, special on the fall of the Third Reich. We've probably all seen it. Anyway, I noticed a guy standing in the background with a few rifles slung along with his Garand. So, I took some stills of the pics. They appear to be 98-40's. These pics aren't as good at the images on the TV, but you can see pretty well what they are. Film is from the town of Dachau in 1945.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 98_40_1.jpg
    98_40_1.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 357
  • 98_40_2.jpg
    98_40_2.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 357
I was watching the History channel the other day, special on the fall of the Third Reich. We've probably all seen it. Anyway, I noticed a guy standing in the background with a few rifles slung along with his Garand. So, I took some stills of the pics. They appear to be 98-40's. These pics aren't as good at the images on the TV, but you can see pretty well what they are. Film is from the town of Dachau in 1945.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Those are great pics! I think you are correct based on the shape of the buttstock at least. Need to catch that episode.

great detective work

I have that on DVD-R. I will have to go back and look, Good observation. With that stock shape there is no mistaking it..

That's an elusive pic for sure. Good eye. I don't know that I've been able to find a single good period pic of a 98/40 in use except for one, W-SS in the back of a halftrack on the Eastern Front.

like to see

That's an elusive pic for sure. Good eye. I don't know that I've been able to find a single good period pic of a 98/40 in use except for one, W-SS in the back of a halftrack on the Eastern Front.

Any idea of what book that pic was in ?

I have that one. I am going to look now :happy0180:....yes on page 281 !

What rifle do you think the guy is carrying on page 335 top ? Cool pic on page 368 of guy with French rifle.

Jack, I believe it is the pic from the rear of a Sdkfz251 SPW and the WSS soldier is facing forward, but I believe it is clearly a 98/40?

Can you scan the image? I don't have the book and been looking for period shots of G98/40's for a while now.

Thanks.

Hi Mike,
Dobry den, jak se máš?

Nice pics but the best Eyes!!!! You are like Hawk !!!
Nice nice
Stan

Thanks. Jack, is my memory of that pic pretty correct? You think it a 98/40 too?

You are correct sir...Page 281.. I will scan tomorrow and post. Definitely a 98/40

Wahoo. This could mean that I am not senile yet. :moon: Thanks for posting it Jack. It's the only combat photo I know of with a German soldier and a 98/40, other than the one on this thread.

Here we go

98/40...and here it is.

Finding this pic I think was the equivalent of Hillary reaching Everest's summit...all glories to Hambone....:hail:

Attachments

• Scan_Pic0001.jpg
    Scan_Pic0001.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 93
Thanks much Jack! Nope, it's more like me telling stories about a sasquatch and you getting the picture of him :biggrin1:

Bill, from what I see of the other pics, those would have been great to see. Maybe you could invite him over to add to this thread?

Yes, PLEASE someone invite him here to post! I NEED to see them.

Were they Luftwaffe units, or Heer?

SO many rumours abound about the G98/40's that can only be decided in pictures.

Military Rifle Journal
Back