Third Party Press

Late bnz 41 "i" block

Ladorasurf

New to the forum; however, I'd like to contribute. Here is an all-matching bnz 41 "i" block. Definitely a "been there" rifle. Photos aren't the best--feel free to provide feedback so my next submission is better.

Attachments

• asf&IMG_1734.jpg
    asf&IMG_1734.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 423
  • asf&IMG_1733.jpg
    asf&IMG_1733.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 372
  • asf&IMG_1735.jpg
    asf&IMG_1735.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 415
  • asf&IMG_1736.jpg
    asf&IMG_1736.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 395
  • asf&IMG_1737.jpg
    asf&IMG_1737.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 404
  • asf&IMG_1739.jpg
    asf&IMG_1739.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 307
  • asf&IMG_1740.jpg
    asf&IMG_1740.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 345
  • asf&IMG_1741.jpg
    asf&IMG_1741.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 301
  • asf&IMG_1742.jpg
    asf&IMG_1742.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 334
  • asf&IMG_1743.jpg
    asf&IMG_1743.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 312
I also have a rc 41 bnz "h" block. I am not sure if you keep a record of non-matching rc rifles. But, here is a photo of the receiver nonetheless.

Attachments

• asf&IMG_1744.jpg
    asf&IMG_1744.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 168
  • asf&IMG_1745.jpg
    asf&IMG_1745.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 175
Actually both rifles are useful to a project I have been working on for the last year or so. Can you do images of the right side of the receiver and tell us what the barrel code is?

Generally the rifles most important to the study are early bnz/41 but a few stray 1940's and later 1941's have showed up with the "R" on the right side of the receiver.

As for what is needed most in a study, generally to tell any thing about a rifle you need the top/right/left receiver as this is where most of the rifle acceptance is marked, and sometimes the fireproof will tell you things. The barrel code is always useful and often times very revealing about a rifles past and how/who made the rifle. And of course the stocks acceptance pattern is very helpful- and required on reworks of any kind.

I also have a rc 41 bnz "h" block. I am not sure if you keep a record of non-matching rc rifles. But, here is a photo of the receiver nonetheless.

Usually above the wood line, but neither of your rifles are likely to have the "R" as they are late for the marking, as I wrote in the article they tend to show up most often in the a-c blocks. Latest known is a bnz/41 "g" block and it is very lonely!

We think it might be a marking associated with the RD barrels believed from Radom (unfinished blanks taken to Steyr and finished by Steyr into barrels..)

Of course the first step in understanding something is to collect as much data as possible and organize it in a form that is manageable (retrievable). All my projects are works in progress, including this one..

Will the "R" code be located above the stock line or below?

No "R" marks.

Something of note, between the h and i blocks, apparently the number markings that run perpendicular to the barrel just above the receiver were discontinued?

Can you illustrate what you mean? Show images?

No "R" marks.

Something of note, between the h and i blocks, apparently the number markings that run perpendicular to the barrel just above the receiver were discontinued?

Very nice bnz41!!!

One thing that gets me is un-even wear. Some of this is due to hardened parts but I think in this case its more to do with where the rifle was used and how it was cleaned.

In this case I think it was broken down and the trigger guard was sanded with emery cloth to remove rust. That is why it has no finish next to the screw..

attachment.php

Attachments

• bnz guard.jpg
    bnz guard.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 882
ladorasurf,

Do your bnz 41s have Polish receivers and/or bolts (WaA77)?
If so are there Polish assembly characters on the left side of the receiver, under the wood, and on the bottom of the bolt handle?
The characters/markings I am asking about look like miniature flowers or Lucky Charms cereal shapes.
They are also found on VIS35 (Radom) pistols, usually inside the slide.
Thanks for sharing your rifles!

Ogtree

I agree with Archie. Definately not a turd! However if you do feel that way, you will find more than a few members who would gladly take it. :biggrin1:

Military Rifle Journal
Back