Third Party Press

"Documented WW2 SS sniper rifle"-I'm guessing someone got boned real hard on this one

Marcus

Parolee Pootie Mouth
"Documented WW2 SS sniper rifle"-I'm guessing someone got boned real hard on this one

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/793610602

I know next to nothing about WW2 German 98k snipers, but this one just looks and smells bad to me, and the description sounds like a dung-heap size pile of b.s.

The same place has a bogus Swede m/41B sniper rifle with a b.s. description:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/794312455

Someone is getting bent over hard, raw, and dry to the tune of almost $1,900 for this steamer. Hell, I had a bunch of real Swede WW2 era m/41 rifles that didn't sell for a lot more than that.

Well I'll keep my pie-hole shut on this post but if Dave is watching he 'might' have something to say. I don't want to speak for him but you 'might' find some comments on his site.

Who has a 12 day buying window and does NO research on what they're about to drop $xK on? Really?

This rifle is totally fake. So yes, someone lost a lot money. 99.9% of Objective Mounts are fake. This mounting system was one of the most popular commercial mounts of the time. And very few military examples still exist today.

No chance

This rifle is totally fake. So yes, someone lost a lot money. 99.9% of Objective Mounts are fake. This mounting system was one of the most popular commercial mounts of the time. And very few military examples still exist today.

The buyer who is not deeply involved in the hobby was certainly seduced by "provenance". When something is in a book it HAS to be correct...... I am actually surprised it didn't go higher. Cors had deep pockets and some knowledge and he became a magnet for dealers to dump on....

He didn't make a big profit on this he actually lost about $600 or more. According to Dave the rifle was bought for $5,125. But you have to add in the almost 20% in buyer's premium and taxes. Which would make that rifle purchase over $6000 for Commonwealth. And now it sold for barely $5500. But wait there's more GunBroker takes their percentage of your sale as well. So if you factor that he's lost almost $1,000.

So you're saying there is a happy ending? :facepalm:

Well my thinking is like that sound they played in cartoons when something bad happened to somebody when they fell off a cliff or something. You know basically the tone basically said you're an idiot and haha.

So he bought a rifle, found out that it was a fake and then listed it on GB with BS, misleading description to pass it onto somebody else. I never bought anything from RIA, but don't they guarantee that items are what they claim them to be? So if you buy from them something that turns out to be a fake, you have to eat it, yes?

Jack

So he bought a rifle, found out that it was a fake and then listed it on GB with BS, misleading description to pass it onto somebody else. I never bought anything from RIA, but don't they guarantee that items are what they claim them to be? So if you buy from them something that turns out to be a fake, you have to eat it, yes?

Jack

I believe there was a post here the other day about a G41(M) bought through RIAC that had issues and ultimately returned. That was the first time I had heard of that.

No I'm thinking he bought a rifle hoping to flip it for a bunch of money. He buys a lot of rifles from Big auction houses.

Common Wealth bought this Dung Pile believing the BS that RIA permeated about said item and was thinking he could make a Bundle on Resale. Buyer should have done some investigating before hand . Serves him right , Greed is an Evil Companion .

As far as RIA return/return policy , Never Expect or hope they will give You a refund if a MISTAKE has been made . Again best advise doYour homework about the item your planning to bid on . RIA is in the Business to SELL the DO NOT CARE if its 100% Original or NOT .

I have 1 RIA bought K98. I took a chance knowing what the risks were. It is a duffle cut bringback where they obviously lost the front end of the cut. The front piece of wood doesn't exactly match in color and the front band is obviously bogus. Still a great Erma rifle and I can't complain too much but still.

The buyer who is not deeply involved in the hobby was certainly seduced by "provenance". When something is in a book it HAS to be correct...... I am actually surprised it didn't go higher. Cors had deep pockets and some knowledge and he became a magnet for dealers to dump on....

I agree. before this post, i would have believed if it was in a book it was vetted and known.
This is another learning for me on how challenging this hobby can be....

fortunately, for me, my pockets are nowhere near that deep

..fortunately, for me, my pockets are nowhere near that deep

Well the good side is that will keep you from making high dollar mistakes. Some of the older 'vetted' stuff turned out to be not so original as more eyes got on it.

Military Rifle Journal
Back