Third Party Press

Refinished 98k ?

I have a 1944 BCD 98k S/N 35,XXX. All matching with Yugoslav 1.7RZ stamp on buttstock. No " H" stamp on the stock but, the stock matches the gun. The rifle is blued instead of phosphated.
it is my understanding that ALL 5 digit serial numbered BCD's were phosphated.
The first guess would be that the Yugos refurbished the gun. If they did, they did a remarkable job as all original metal stamps are present and extremely crisp. I would most appreciate comments from the membership.

You will need to post photos to get more info. It sounds non typical for the Yugoslav reworks to have left the German code and original s/n intact.

I have a 1944 BCD 98k S/N 35,XXX. All matching with Yugoslav 1.7RZ stamp on buttstock. No " H" stamp on the stock but, the stock matches the gun. The rifle is blued instead of phosphated.
it is my understanding that ALL 5 digit serial numbered BCD's were phosphated.
The first guess would be that the Yugos refurbished the gun. If they did, they did a remarkable job as all original metal stamps are present and extremely crisp. I would most appreciate comments from the membership.

Hello and welcome! I would say it is definitely not true that all five digit bcd coded rifles were phosphate. That would imply only a single run of serial numbers (1-99,999) but in reality letter blocks were used also in numbering these 1a-99,999a, 1b-99,999b and so on) so really no generalization can be made in that way.

Show us some photos of all the markings, any and all of them, and we can give you some info about what it really is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Military Rifle Journal
Back