Third Party Press

Help dialing in Shooters Kit on ac44 G43

.0469 converted to metric is 1.19 mm so that should work without drilling holes in the cylinder.

Mine cycles great with 1.25 mm and the piston fits very nice in the cylinder,the original piston and cylinder are in "storage",the rifle is all matching and that will keep them from undue wear.

Well I’ve got the eBay piston sanded almost down to same size as apfeltor. Will try smallest insert first and go up from there. Doubt I will have to go up much.

Did some testing today.
Houston, we have lift off!!
Reduced diameter piston project worked. Inserts 1, which was slamming bolt to rear before now would not even budge the bolt with a 150 sp and 44 grains of 4064. Worked up to three, which still didn't cycle/eject. Jumped to six, the biggest in the set, and it ejected maybe 15' and chambered next round. Showed signs of hitting tape on recoil retaining plate at rear, but much less than before using insert one. Then tried number five with fresh tape. Ejected 10'-12'. Very, very slight sign of “touching” rear.

eBay piston, .433” unmodified diameter, insert one (smallest)
FE5C9239-659B-4663-B241-16AA277D4A8B.jpg

eBay piston, .4275 modified diameter, insert five. Just touching rear.
69AF75F3-E656-40AC-8092-75986ACCF03A.jpg7A4C9772-32CC-4AA1-AE6D-5B7D9E49D8E6.jpg

While this is a significant improvement from my initial tests, this is still not desirable. Since I ran out of daylight, I will try insert number four tomorrow. Looks like we are headed in right direction. And I was using the first Danish magazine too, which I’ve repaired so that it now works fine.

Last edited:
Learned some new things today.
I learned my rifle needs eBay kit insert #4 to cycle a 150 grain Speer sp over 44 grains of 4064 in a federal case. It needs insert #5 to cycle the exact same load in PRVI cases.
I also learned it’s possible for a G43 to eject a spent case and chamber the next round from the magazine, and the bolt can still not come back far enough to reset the hammer sear/trigger for the next shot. Maybe need to Waller out that vent hole a bit?

proper ejection pattern/ distance for G43 brass??

This is for those who have their rifles dialed in and running like a charm. How far do your cases eject? Using what ammo and velocities?

I'm working on my gas jet inserts to properly function and cycle my loads but need to have an idea what is considered an appropriate ejection pattern/distance.
I've worked up to 46 grains IMR 4064 under Hornady 150 SP's which gives me 2464 fps average. All pressure signs look good as this is not even near max load.
With one insert this load will eject 12' to 18' or so. With the next smallest insert, the action will not cycle. I've read some saying the cases shouldn't eject more than 6' to 8'. If this is the case, my larger insert is kicking them out too far, and thus pounding the bolt to the rear, which is definitely a no no. Please help me dial this rig in.

The load listed above is giving me the best accuracy of any I've tried, which is a 2" five shot group at 100 yards. I haven't tried going higher yet, but if I can get the shooters kit inserts dialed in for this load, I may try and inch up and see if the groups close up a bit. Not interested in pushing max loads, but definitely want to get the most accuracy out of this rifle as I can. It seems the Hornady 150's do better at slightly higher velocities than mid range.

I know some may cringe at the thought of me upping my charges even more, since most say to stick to 44 grains of 4064, but that load gives me 4" groups. Sorry. I'm an accuracy nut.
Am I wrong in my thinking that if the gas system can be dialed in for a proper 'gentle' ejections patter (6' to 8'??) then even at higher velocity loads, the impact and speed of the bolt to the rear would still be in the appropriate range? Please share your thoughts on this.

I've already opened up the orifice of the smaller insert just a tiny bit to try testing with the above load. I will continue opening it up until the load cycles/ejects properly. I have two even smaller inserts I can fall back on if needed.

Kneverknew- please continue your shooting questions in one of your previous threads such as this one.

Kneverknew- please continue your shooting questions in one of your previous threads such as this one.

I understand wanting to keep things centered around the collecting aspects of these rifles. Has anyone considered creating a subcategory for reloading and shooting for this like me who like to actually do so? Just a thought.

Don't worry about how far the G43 flings spent shells. Always adjust the gas system such that the bolt will not slam into the receiver. Remember, it's the combination of 3 springs and an orifice that makes the system work and the flinging distance mostly depends on the bolt velocity.

Don't worry about how far the G43 flings spent shells. Always adjust the gas system such that the bolt will not slam into the receiver. Remember, it's the combination of 3 springs and an orifice that makes the system work and the flinging distance mostly depends on the bolt velocity.

I do understand how the system works. I was just wondering how far peoples brass is typically going with their properly tuned gas systems. I will tune my gun properly so bolt doesn't hit back of receiver. Thanks.

I do understand how the system works. I was just wondering how far peoples brass is typically going with their properly tuned gas systems. I will tune my gun properly so bolt doesn't hit back of receiver. Thanks.

I have several G/K43, they are all properly tuned and they're tossing spent shells all over the place. None of my rifles tosses like the other, each one creates its own neat pile of shells.

I have several G/K43, they are all properly tuned and they're tossing spent shells all over the place. None of my rifles tosses like the other, each one creates its own neat pile of shells.

Ok then. Is tape across the top of the bolt housing still considered the best way to test for bolt striking rear of receiver?

I understand wanting to keep things centered around the collecting aspects of these rifles. Has anyone considered creating a subcategory for reloading and shooting for this like me who like to actually do so? Just a thought.

These things have been discussed, and the owners and mods consensus is that the focus remains on collecting and correct rifle study.

Military Rifle Journal
Back