Third Party Press

Rare phosphate africa corps sg98k german 98k bayonet late war unissued!

Warrior1354

ax - hole
Thought you guys would like to see this makes for a good laugh.

Read the auction description:

You are bidding on a RARE, Late-War Phosphate Africa Corps SG 84/98 German 98K Bayonet, UNISSUED at NO RESERVE! This beautiful COLLECTIBLE is part of a large 40+ year old collection I'm auctioning off in upcoming future auctions. Many of the items are new in the box and many were never even opened or removed from the protective wrappings until now! This is a Late War, UNISSUED Afrika Corps Phosphate SG 84/98 German Mauser 98K Bayonet, all original with matching numbered scabbard & khaki colored frog, S/155 code, WaA519 proofed, 44 sqx marked on blade, manufactured by E&F Horster, in Solingen in 1944. Most have a blued finish, however in 1944 few makers began using a Phosphate finish. Most are found without any finish left at all! The Deutsche Afrika Corps only existed for 2 years making these RARE & very desired by collectors!

Now I do know my history if this bayonet was made in late 1944 possibly early 1945. How were the Afrika Korp supplied this bayonet when they surrendered in May of 1943? I'm guessing the Germans invented a time machine and were sending back phosphate bayonets to the Afrika Korp because blued bayonets don't hold up as well in the desert environment?

Still even with the hyperbole still sold for $721.00

Attachments

• pix119242031.jpg
    pix119242031.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 145
  • pix184604331.jpg
    pix184604331.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 136
  • pix447154611.jpg
    pix447154611.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 105
  • pix591211580.jpg
    pix591211580.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 104
  • pix601463006.jpg
    pix601463006.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 141
  • pix711191268.jpg
    pix711191268.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 115
Shame it is not matching as I would love to own a sgx.
Looks matching to me, just a light strike on the last digit.

I was wondering the same thing about the Afrika Korps timeline. I assume the webbed frog was not exclusive to that unit.

Looks matching to me, just a light strike on the last digit.

I was wondering the same thing about the Afrika Korps timeline. I assume the webbed frog was not exclusive to that unit.

Yes, I was mistaken, it appears matching. My understanding is that webbed frogs could be found in different theaters of operation. I would buy the piece and not the story. Web frogs bring a premium. Would this be considered a “grey ghost”?

Not a bad price imo for the set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Story aside, that is an outstanding set. I’m still kicking myself over not buying a super nice DAK set about a year ago. It was in the possession of the gentleman I usually get my helmets from. Top shelf stuff as always....and priced accordingly. It didn’t have the creative story nor the date “irregularity” but it did have the proper frog, proper bayonet, and the proper DAK paint on the scabbard. I wish I’d saved some pics—sometimes I delete the grim reminders of the stuff I didn’t follow through on. [emoji17]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll be honest I'm actually glad to see someone get a good deal from an item from this seller most of the time people pay ten times what items are worth from him. He was probably thinking it would have sold for over two thousand that's just my opinion.

To tell you the truth maybe the BS description is what kept some buyers away and they got nervous about it.

the key is the wrong term for the cloth frog.. There are tropical frogs used by the DAK.. then there are late cloth frogs that have nothing to do with DAK. Just like the tan 6x30 dienstglas are called dak. By the time they were produced the DAK were all POW's LOL as far as the item itself despite the seller wasn't a bad price stated by owners of such bayonets.. I was watching it as well as little to nothing of worth turns up on GB for the most part..

I'll be honest I'm actually glad to see someone get a good deal from an item from this seller most of the time people pay ten times what items are worth from him. He was probably thinking it would have sold for over two thousand that's just my opinion.

To tell you the truth maybe the BS description is what kept some buyers away and they got nervous about it.

Yes I thought it would crash 1k given prices he usually realizes. I used to buy from him, but now he only does auctions...

reported in same range other matching pieces, 6722,6749 in old BCN (USA)expert hands, in matching unused condition, possible someone added web frog in late of war or postwar on it, the bayonet looks like depot piece. Web frog was used on south Europe area Balkan ,Ukraine , Italy too.

Yes I thought it would crash 1k given prices he usually realizes. I used to buy from him, but now he only does auctions...

For many years this seller's lists were typewritten and mimeographed, and you had to pay for them. He's joined the 21st century.

For database

For you database guys here is my sgx44.

Attachments

• 20200219_125443.jpg
    20200219_125443.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 54
Looks like a nice piece in a M42 frog. b.r.Andy
Reported probably from Ebay in 2010.

Last edited:
Very nice. Previously owned by member miles36 here on the forum. Just a few numbers from the mysterious jj block .....

That is not an i?

Yes, it's an ii block. I was indicating that it's very high in the ii block. Less than 50 pieces from transitioning into the jj block. 44sgx in the jj block are almost unheard of and then just a few examples in the kk block before the switch to 45sgx.

Military Rifle Journal
Back