Third Party Press

Help with identification of a bayonet

8x57mauser

I'm trying to help out a friend, he has this 98k bayonet im trying to figure out about the maker and value on it so i can pay him a fair price. The rifles are more my field of experience so I'm out of my element here.

Its clean, never sharpened, and the bayonet and scabbard match. That's really all i can provide currently. Its dated 1940 and the grips are wood.

20170812_111529.jpg20170812_111511.jpg20170812_111517.jpg

Looks like a matching german S84/98 bayonet, production of Gebr.Heller 1940 with proper phenolic resin grips,also not wood. b.r.Andy

Unless I am mistaken

I think he is looking for a value. I PMed him what I thought it was worth, but a few other opinions would be interesting.

Mike

Ouch

I think the last one of these I saw at the National Gun day show was priced close to $400.

$400 would be high in my book. I told him 150ish. The maker and year is a little more scarce than a generic asw or cof, but not what I would call rare , and the scabbard has a good deal of rust. Crossguard and scabbard have enough rust to be pitted.

As slash would say, just my thoughts.....

Yeah i was thinking the same thing but everything is high at those shows anymore. I did pick up a nice ASW43 blade with matching scabbard at the June show for $150 though. Mint condition but I had to do some digging also had a reproduction frog on. But luckily that reproduction frog hide the matching scabbard.

Only blades I'll start paying over $400 for our close to $400. Would be phosphate blades, really early mint condition blades, or ones with really scarce frogs plus a scarce maker with them. Most of the time I try to get them for under $200 if I can.

Gebr Heller is the rarest manufacturer with Rich. Herder in 1940. It's a good choice. For the price, each one sees as he wants…

Regards

Gebr Heller is the rarest manufacturer with Rich. Herder in 1940. It's a good choice. For the price, each one sees as he wants…

Regards

So $400.00 is the market price for that piece? I was thinking around $200.00. I pick up a bayonet when I can but I am no expert. Condition is what holds the price down for me. If it was in higher condition, $225.00 to $250.00.

Military Rifle Journal
Back