Third Party Press

Stunning! More GB insanity

The bid histories of things like this all have certain common characteristics :googlie The "winner" is a member since 01-19-2019.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 75
  • Winner.JPG
    Winner.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 46
OK, so looks like a new guy. He needs to be helped so his first matching rifle experience isn't this. I'm seeing a profoundly wanked stock and a humped lower band. Probable resurrected sporter. Even if a matching rifle, in that condition, with the fake stock proofs, sanding, etc., it is worth no more than half that. However, I believe the stock and at least one band fraudulent.

Again, an auction with multiple detailed pics of nothing (why do we need three closeups of a wirewheelwanked takedown disc?), without good pics of what is crucial here: the band numbering on the front and lower band. The lower band is humped. You can see how the material was ground off of it. What does the front band numbering look like? Why is the front band, one of the parts on a K98k that wears the most due to handling, 99% blue?

Oh oh Shaggy!

Yes I see some questions coming soon. Guys are you telling me the $3,000 I just spent on this rifle was a bad idea!

I already feel bad for the guy. I was going to add smart a$$ comments like 'Really wanted a 98k so I jumped in on this one' and 'Did I get a good one?'

Ham I totally agree on the bands. No way in '41 had that crazy dual tone whatever is going on there from the factory. Also spot on that the upper band is nearly flawless. No way is that finish original.

Is this rifle the subject of the missing Mod. 98 thread?

Yeah it appears so. I didn't put 2 and 2 together until ugafx4 linked that thread but the winning bidder did seems strangely familiar. I just thought maybe I saw the name in another auction bidder list.

Hi all. Yup, that was me :laugh:

Yes, I’m very new to this.

Yes, I didn’t want to miss out on an awesome looking gun if it was legit.

No, I would never drop that kind of money on something that didn’t have a solid inspection/return policy, which it does. I may be dumb but I’m not THAT dumb. I never bid on or buy anything that I can’t vet in person and return if it turns out to be different than advertised.

So, lay it on me. Did newbie do a dumb?

No, I would never drop that kind of money on something that didn’t have a solid inspection/return policy, which it does. I may be dumb but I’m not THAT dumb. I never bid on or buy anything that I can’t vet in person and return if it turns out to be different than advertised.

I would never call a new collector dumb but I would say you did a inexperience purchase. Personally I agree with hambone I wish your first all matching rifle you bought didn't have problems like this one. But lucky for you this seller has a return policy with this rifle so you can get your money back. I would tell you this before dropping that amount of money on a rifle that you're still learning about I would buy the books first, get some more knowledge and experience under your belt, and if you ever have questions please ask here.

And remember there is a great picture reference section on this forum that can give you an idea on what to look for on about any k98k rifle.

Also don't beat yourself up too much on this either almost every collector out there has a Horror Story it's just part of the learning game.

If it were me I'd exercise your 7 day inspection period and let them run it again. Don't even let them waste time/money on shipping it.

I would never call a new collector dumb but I would say you did a inexperience purchase. Personally I agree with hambone I wish your first all matching rifle you bought didn't have problems like this one. But lucky for you this seller has a return policy with this rifle so you can get your money back. I would tell you this before dropping that amount of money on a rifle that you're still learning about I would buy the books first, get some more knowledge and experience under your belt, and if you ever have questions please ask here.

And remember there is a great picture reference section on this forum that can give you an idea on what to look for on about any k98k rifle.

Also don't beat yourself up too much on this either almost every collector out there has a Horror Story it's just part of the learning game.

Thank you. I genuinely appreciate the feedback and the advice.

Aside from the finish problems that were pointed out. Earlier in this thread, is there anything else that stands out? Do the stamps look legit? (Trying to learn from my experience)

Lastly, for future reference, assuming the rifle was 100% legit and as advertised, how much would it be worth?

I don't know if it's been suggested, but when you get it, or if you have it, get a lot of good pictures of it. Numbers, stamps, everything that can be considered a marking of some sort. Could be useful to refer to in the future.

If you exercise your return prior to them shipping, then never mind the above.

There's much that really jumps out, but one of the first things I noticed is that the eagle and the H don't line up on the right side butt stock marking. These were originally a single stamp applied with a single strike, so they always aligned.

The stock was deeply cleaned, refinished and stained before the e/H and serial numbers were applied, without doubt.

If you're going to drop that much coin, you should have looked no further than the Trader Section of this board. Lots of high condition and legit rifles for sale there in this price range.

If a bunk item was posted on this forum, it would be called out immediately.

You can query knowledgeable members via PM as to the authenticity and relative value of a given rifle.

And buy the books! The Karabiner 98k volumes are the best modern study of this rifle.

There's much that really jumps out, but one of the first things I noticed is that the eagle and the H don't line up on the right side butt stock marking. These were originally a single stamp applied with a single strike, so they always aligned.

The stock was deeply cleaned, refinished and stained before the e/H and serial numbers were applied, without doubt.

Interesting. I didn’t know it was one stamp! Good to know they should line up!!

maybe I’m seeing things, but it almost looks like there’s an eagle stamp right above the H (veryyyy faded) in addition to the one next to it.

If you're going to drop that much coin, you should have looked no further than the Trader Section of this board. Lots of high condition and legit rifles for sale there in this price range.

If a bunk item was posted on this forum, it would be called out immediately.

You can query knowledgeable members via PM as to the authenticity and relative value of a given rifle.

And buy the books! The Karabiner 98k volumes are the best modern study of this rifle.

Thanks for this! I didn’t know there was a trade section here!! How can I find it? (Still learning to use the forum)

..I would never drop that kind of money on something that didn’t have a solid inspection/return policy, which it does.

Ok so that's really good. Both for your acuman and also for any possible repercussions. There was a discussion about this rifle before you bought it on Dave's site. WW2weapons.com

Military Rifle Journal
Back