Third Party Press

SSD's PTR44 / BD44 In Detail The Semi Automatic MP44

Now lets look at the jams I got when I removed the tape from the Haenel magazine:

YEOUCH!! Those rounds look like they are in a limbo dance!! This is the result of a magazine that has too much front to rear slop. As the rifle is recoiling and the bolt is going home, your rifle is jumping all over the place and so is your magazine if it isn't secure in the magazine well. If your rifle is moving one way and the sloppy magazine is going the other, the tip of that round isn't feeding straight into the chamber. Instead, it's diving under or flying over the barrel resulting in bent rounds as shown above. There's a lot of force behind that recoil spring thingee!

Here are five random normal looking ( I think) spent casings:

This thing chucks rounds out with almost as much force as my HK91. I mean they go zipping down the firing line. They fly more or less flat and in a small arc ranging from straight out the side to a slight angle to the rear. I have no idea whether or not this is a normal ejection pattern but it's the one I have. If you have an MP44, let me know what your ejection pattern is please.

So......to recap this post. In my case, the SSD magazines are essentially trash. They don't fit in the rifle correctly, rounds don't fit in the them correctly and they make my rifle a jammomatic. They are useless to me. I bought one WWII magazine and one DDR magazine. Both seem to have fixed the jamming issue but the WWII one needs to be shimmed for fit to work properly.

I am currently at 234 rounds. Next up is to send the rifle off to the MP44 Wizard so that he can reinforce the bottom of the receiver, correct the hammer hitting the bottom of the receiver and generally go over the rifle looking for potential problems. After that is more rounds down the pipe to see if anything breaks. Meanwhile, I'm looking for a WWII bolt to replace the possibly over hardened SSD one. All of this is expensive and I'm nearly out of ammo at the moment so testing will be on hold for a but until I can restock. That's where I'm at and I'm optimistic.

Excellent and thorough as always!

Thanks, now I finally know I possess one SSD mag. Mine came with 4, single SSD and three from Numerich. I also received a nice blued KUR marked MP44 mag that fits and feeds the best of them all. I only had a few FTF with the Numerich FXO marked mags from Taiwan. I also had 25 rounds in each and out of 150 rounds, 4 FTF. 2 in the SSD mag before follower replacement with an early original. Funny, it did much better with blanks save for 1 FTF. I also applied a bit of forward force to the mag while firing.

I'll have to compare them all now more closely. If you don't have any Numerich mags, I can pass some comparison photos along. You mentioned getting an original bolt. I had zero luck with my original SSD bolt and excellent results with the WW2 replacement along with Dingo's supplied new OP Rod.

This all goes to show that there was a serious lack of product control. I have fired almost 1,000 rounds out of my SSD PTR44 without any problems other than a couple of misfires from old East German ammo. I have two SSD magazines, a couple from Numrich (Jap made?) and seven East German magazine plus a couple of WWII German mags. All fed fine, I did ensure that the springs were the right length by insuring that they are at least two rounds longer than the body of the magazine. I load 30 at a time and push the top round down several times after the mag is loaded to insure that the rounds are seated right. I posted earlier that I purchased a gun that came without a guarantee because the dealer had problems with it. I had to put a bead of weld on the locking surface of the gas rod and ground it down to insure a good fit with the bolts surface. Also had to clean a bit of left over weld in the magazine well but nothing major. My SSD shoots just like a couple of re-welded MP44's I did with my denials. From what I have been reading in the German Gun magazines the new products from SSD have all of the teething problems fixed and are a much better product. I am very happy with mine. Harry

Excellent and thorough as always!

Thanks, now I finally know I possess one SSD mag. Mine came with 4, single SSD and three from Numerich. I also received a nice blued KUR marked MP44 mag that fits and feeds the best of them all. I only had a few FTF with the Numerich FXO marked mags from Taiwan. I also had 25 rounds in each and out of 150 rounds, 4 FTF. 2 in the SSD mag before follower replacement with an early original. Funny, it did much better with blanks save for 1 FTF. I also applied a bit of forward force to the mag while firing.

I'll have to compare them all now more closely. If you don't have any Numerich mags, I can pass some comparison photos along. You mentioned getting an original bolt. I had zero luck with my original SSD bolt and excellent results with the WW2 replacement along with Dingo's supplied new OP Rod.

By all means, PLEASE post some pictures of anything you think is relevant. Information is the entire point of this work. I would very much like to see some of the Numerich magazines.

This all goes to show that there was a serious lack of product control. I have fired almost 1,000 rounds out of my SSD PTR44 without any problems other than a couple of misfires from old East German ammo. I have two SSD magazines, a couple from Numrich (Jap made?) and seven East German magazine plus a couple of WWII German mags. All fed fine, I did ensure that the springs were the right length by insuring that they are at least two rounds longer than the body of the magazine. I load 30 at a time and push the top round down several times after the mag is loaded to insure that the rounds are seated right. I posted earlier that I purchased a gun that came without a guarantee because the dealer had problems with it. I had to put a bead of weld on the locking surface of the gas rod and ground it down to insure a good fit with the bolts surface. Also had to clean a bit of left over weld in the magazine well but nothing major. My SSD shoots just like a couple of re-welded MP44's I did with my denials. From what I have been reading in the German Gun magazines the new products from SSD have all of the teething problems fixed and are a much better product. I am very happy with mine. Harry

This is an example of exactly the kind of discussion I'm trying to generate here. I can only tell the story through the myopic lens of my personal experience with ONE rifle. The more folks who post about their experiences with their own PTR44's the better. Thank you for adding to the discussion!!

By all means, PLEASE post some pictures of anything you think is relevant. Information is the entire point of this work. I would very much like to see some of the Numerich magazines.

Great... I'll do that before the day is out. Harry, current Numerich mags are from Taiwan. Following Wilhelms post I noticed that my new ten round Dingo supplied mag closely matches the DDR original posted earlier and my one SSD mag with WW2 follower more closely follows the agreed correct position with the rounds centerline close to even with the top of the bullet guides.

Thanks again for starting this thread Vilhelm!

Yes sir. To my knowledge, the follower is a US made 922 compliance part. I mention that at the end of post Nr. 39.

Last edited:
For what it's worth -
Running a few thousand rounds of blanks through the real MP44 -
The 1001 marked post-war magazines we have are consistently the most reliable.
The wartime mags not quite so much.
This could be luck of the draw, or a combination of things - but it is what it is.
(I only have one SSD mag and that is a ten rounder, that does not fit in the mag-well yet, too wide.)

Hey Pit.. Is your ten round SSD from Dingo? Mine fits and feeds mine at least manually so far. The Numerich and originals fit a wartime 44 very well. In my comparison photos, L - R: Original PTR SSD 30 Rounder with MP44 follower, KUR Marked WW2, Numerich mags from Taiwan, and BD44 10 Round from Dingo.

As mentioned from Harry the PTRs are all over the place with quality control..funny, just like the originals? Long time ago the few originals I got to fire, bringback or rewelds were also finicky about magazines.

Major debt of gratitude to all who suffered through these when new. After a few hundred more rounds I'll see if mine also needs to go Ost for some fine tuning.

Attachments

• 44 Mags 001.jpg
    44 Mags 001.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 44 Mags 003.jpg
    44 Mags 003.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 44 Mags 004.jpg
    44 Mags 004.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 12
FEW more mag comparison shots L-R SSD, Numerich, WW2 KUR. I didn't shoot the dimples on the Numerich but they're closer to the DDR or WW2 than the SSD originals...

Attachments

• FS_44 Mags 001.jpg
    FS_44 Mags 001.jpg
    305.6 KB · Views: 17
  • FS_44 Mags 002.jpg
    FS_44 Mags 002.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 17
  • FS_44 Mags 004.jpg
    FS_44 Mags 004.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 19
  • FS_44 Mags 006.jpg
    FS_44 Mags 006.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 16
Hey Pit.. Is your ten round SSD from Dingo? Mine fits and feeds mine at least manually so far. The Numerich and originals fit a wartime 44 very well. In my comparison photos, L - R: Original PTR SSD 30 Rounder with MP44 follower, KUR Marked WW2, Numerich mags from Taiwan, and BD44 10 Round from Dingo.

Yes - and the ten round FG42 mag, too - which fits like an original.

I got unlucky on the Ten round MP44 mag, not bothered, Tor and Dietrich make and sell great work and everything else I have from them is of very high quality fit and finish.

Yes - and the ten round FG42 mag, too - which fits like an original.

I got unlucky on the Ten round MP44 mag, not bothered, Tor and Dietrich make and sell great work and everything else I have from them is of very high quality fit and finish.

I couldn't agree more. Funny after you mentioned yours didn't fit your MP44 I tried mine with same result. It fits very nicely in my PTR...

Alrighty, I picked up a couple more boxes of PPU ammo at a little local guns show today and have another ten boxes on the way. That should give me enough brass to start reloading.
Now, I have NO EXPERIENCE reloading and never planned to but I have a friend with a good Lee (I think) press and accessories and an older brother who has been a hard core reloader for years to go to for technical advice. But I want to ask you guys because you have a lot of experience with reloading for the MP44, just what do I need to reload my 8mm Kurz cases? I have a bunch of Hornady 125 Gr. bullets already and I have empty brass.

1. What primers should I use?

2. What brand and type of powder should I use?

3. What powder charge?

4. Hornady, or Lee dies?

5. It looks like a die set comes with a full length size die and a seating die with expander assembly. Do I need anything else or will that cover it?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE! Help a moron out please!! :googlie

Alrighty, I picked up a couple more boxes of PPU ammo at a little local guns show today and have another ten boxes on the way. That should give me enough brass to start reloading.
Now, I have NO EXPERIENCE reloading and never planned to but I have a friend with a good Lee (I think) press and accessories and an older brother who has been a hard core reloader for years to go to for technical advice. But I want to ask you guys because you have a lot of experience with reloading for the MP44, just what do I need to reload my 8mm Kurz cases? I have a bunch of Hornady 125 Gr. bullets already and I have empty brass.

3. What powder charge?

4. Hornady, or Lee dies?

5. It looks like a die set comes with a full length size die and a seating die with expander assembly. Do I need anything else or will that cover it?

Hi,
I have been using Hornady sizing dies,full length resize,using CCI 200 large rifle primers in order to avoid slam fires.
For powder I have been using IMR4198,22gr will give a little over 2000 ft/sec.
Lately have been experimenting with reclaimed powder from Chinese 7.62x39 cartridges and working up loads with it,works pretty good as well,but you have to start low
and work up using a chronograph.
I made an adapter so I can use an 8mm bullet seating die to crimp the bullets but found it not really all that necessary.

Reloading for me is a very relaxing part of shooting military rifles and handguns and it gives you total independence from ammo suppliers,I have been loading everything
from shotgun,all my different military rifles to my Mauser C96.
And of course it allows you to taylor the ammo to what the gun likes the best.

Cheers,
Herman

Hi,
I have been using Hornady sizing dies,full length resize,using CCI 200 large rifle primers in order to avoid slam fires.
For powder I have been using IMR4198,22gr will give a little over 2000 ft/sec.
Lately have been experimenting with reclaimed powder from Chinese 7.62x39 cartridges and working up loads with it,works pretty good as well,but you have to start low
and work up using a chronograph.
I made an adapter so I can use an 8mm bullet seating die to crimp the bullets but found it not really all that necessary.

Reloading for me is a very relaxing part of shooting military rifles and handguns and it gives you total independence from ammo suppliers,I have been loading everything
from shotgun,all my different military rifles to my Mauser C96.
And of course it allows you to taylor the ammo to what the gun likes the best.

Cheers,
Herman

I found CCI200 to be too soft for the MP44 floating firing pin. CCI34 NATO primers are harder. As powder I'm using 21gr IMR 4722 to drive a Hornady 3231.

kurz loading

3. What powder charge?

4. Hornady, or Lee dies?

I use the CCI mil spec primers #34
IMR 4227 or Accurate 1680 work well for me
The Hornady manual has loadings for several other powders too.
The starting loads shown work fine for me
The Hornady die set is fine I never tried the Lee
Lee does make a dedicated factory crimp die for the 7.92X33 that I use, crimping lightly. It's not a regular catalog item but does exist.
Watch your case overall length, you may need to trim.
The Kurz rounds size easily needing only a little case lube.
Case life is good. I know I have cases reloaded at least 8 or 9 times. Neck splits are the usual cause for case loss other than just plain losing them in the weeds.
A mesh tarp hung from your shooting shelter to stop ejects is your friend as these rifles really throw the brass.
Pete

I have just recently reloaded for this caliber and I follow Shortfals recipe. I am using lee reloading equipment with Prvi pre-primed brass for now. eventually I will get to the un primed new brass one day. reloading my own is half the fun.

I only use original WW2 magazines but Have been reading most folks are having good results with the numrich repro mags

I found CCI200 to be too soft for the MP44 floating firing pin. CCI34 NATO primers are harder. As powder I'm using 21gr IMR 4722 to drive a Hornady 3231.

I agree,#34 are better for rifles with free floating firing pins,but are not always easy to find.
The only slam fire I had in the BD44 was with Federal primers,happened at the range,no harm done,barrel was pointing down range,but scared the sh#t out of me.
So Federals are only for my bolt rifles.

So,for about 5 years now I have been using CCI 200 in the half dozen semi auto rifles I own(6.5x55 Swedish,8mm Mauser,8mm Kurz,308,and 30-06) and have not had a single problem.

But here is what I do after I buy another semi,I make a dummy round but with a life primer(CCI 200) and a normal bullet but of course no powder in it and cycle it through the action a number of times,sometimes I even remove the extractor so the bolt will impact the case harder, then I inspect the primer and in just about all cases the mark left by the firing pin is barely noticeable,so that leaves me to believe that the primers are hard enough .

primers

I agree,#34 are better for rifles with free floating firing pins,but are not always easy to find.
The only slam fire I had in the BD44 was with Federal primers,happened at the range,no harm done,barrel was pointing down range,but scared the sh#t out of me.
So Federals are only for my bolt rifles.

So,for about 5 years now I have been using CCI 200 in the half dozen semi auto rifles I own(6.5x55 Swedish,8mm Mauser,8mm Kurz,308,and 30-06) and have not had a single problem.

But here is what I do after I buy another semi,I make a dummy round but with a life primer(CCI 200) and a normal bullet but of course no powder in it and cycle it through the action a number of times,sometimes I even remove the extractor so the bolt will impact the case harder, then I inspect the primer and in just about all cases the mark left by the firing pin is barely noticeable,so that leaves me to believe that the primers are hard enough .

An interesting addition to the primer discussion. I talked to a tech guy at Blount, the Co. that owns CCI about "hard" primers a few years ago. He said that the mil spec ones are not harder but that the anvil was just a bit shorter so as to accommodate the light hits that sometimes happen upon chambering in rifles with non spring loaded firing pins.
HighTech near St. Charles MO. has most always had them at the Creek. I got some in April but did not check last trip.
Just checked their site $30 a thousand for #34's.
Pete

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back