Third Party Press

Looking at purchasing this bcd stamped 98k

Tyler1994

New to the forums and fairly new to 98ks. What can y'all tell me about this rifle? Claimed to be a bring back all matching except stock and rear sight leaf asking $1200.imagejpeg_0.jpgimagejpeg_0(1).jpgimagejpeg_0(2).jpgimagejpeg_0(3).jpg1200

The rifle has no collector value but the bayonet is very collectible if the scabbard matches and it has not been sharpened.

The rifle has no collector value but the bayonet is very collectible if the scabbard matches and it has not been sharpened.

Thank you! I've figured out the bayo is a weyersberg kirschbaum and co. Is my research correct? It's matching do you know an aprox. value for it? I see them ranging from 150- 400.

So something is not adding up here. It 'appears' the bands match. The front band almost looks like a 53 and the rear kind of shows 3 then nothing not sure but then why the stock is capture replacement?? Almost always in a sport job the bands and bayo lug are gone too. Maybe the stock was badly damaged some other way? Huge damage to the wood? Water damage or delamination? As pointed out the bayo looks dynamite. Nice finish and unsharpened. You say it's matching? Are there stamps on the frog? It also looks to be in great shape. Another point that would help besides more info on the bayo and frog is if all the parts are truly Gustloff everything will have an additional mark. As the trigger guard has a d you should find i, a, e and l among others. On every part. Is the bayo lug numbered or so marked?

Thank you! I've figured out the bayo is a weyersberg kirschbaum and co. Is my research correct? It's matching do you know an aprox. value for it? I see them ranging from 150- 400.

The bayonet is the seldom seen variation with riveted wood grips. Very much sought after.

So something is not adding up here. It 'appears' the bands match. The front band almost looks like a 53 and the rear kind of shows 3 then nothing not sure but then why the stock is capture replacement?? Almost always in a sport job the bands and bayo lug are gone too. Maybe the stock was badly damaged some other way? Huge damage to the wood? Water damage or delamination? As pointed out the bayo looks dynamite. Nice finish and unsharpened. You say it's matching? Are there stamps on the frog? It also looks to be in great shape. Another point that would help besides more info on the bayo and frog is if all the parts are truly Gustloff everything will have an additional mark. As the trigger guard has a d you should find i, a, e and l among others. On every part. Is the bayo lug numbered or so marked?

Story is the guy bought it from a ww2 vet several years ago that brought both the rifle and bayo home off of a German don't see an import mark anywhere on the rifle unless there's one in some unusual place. The thing that confused me about the rear sling band is the lack of a loop but from closely looking at the band it appears it either snapped off or someone cut it off but it looks as if the band is matching with a 3 96 after looking at the front band it looked like a 5 but stared at it for awhile and believe it is a 3396 not 5396 could be wrong it's across states so can't see in person until or if i buy it. I dont know much about a russian cap stock except I've read the extra retaining screws holding the screws in on the bottom would be removed the barrel bands removed and the hoods taken off the sight? I doubt his story on the rifle being a war trophy but from what I see the numbers match except stock and the sight leaf but only letters I can see on the rifle are an h on the bolt handle which is i guess the code for the army? Trigger guard has a d and the rear sight base appears to have a z? The barrel also throws me off because it doesn't have a serial number on it just a waffennampt and avk on the barrel it also appears from pics and claimed by him the swastikas haven't been peened off. I have no idea on the rifle I'm stumped parts are number match but I'm no expert on 98ks don't see many letters except the d and something under the unmatching sight asked the guy for all pics of anymore marks said there arent anymore he can tell.

Sorry for the lack of knowledge but what do you mean by an mm stock? What ballpark figure do you think the rifle is worth?

mm = mismatched. the numbers on the side of the but of the rifle are post war. Usually Russian. The gun looks like a sporter rescue id ballpark it at about $600-$700 USD if the rifling is good. Also the loop for the sling was ground off. you cant break it off without destroying the band.

Military Rifle Journal
Back